Corn Syrup

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jceg316

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have a recipe calling for corn syrup, I've not looked online yet but can't find it in the shops. Would golden syrup be suitable replacement?

I'd rather not buy online as it's probably one of those things which is cheap enough, but with P&P becomes expensive for just 500g. In 7 years I've never needed it before so it's not like buying in bulk is an option.

Thanks

Typically the corn syrup over here is light and very flavour netural, I don't think golden syrup is a substitute as it has a pretty strong flavour. I would probably just add in table sugar as I think the intent is the same, to lighten the body.

Brewing sugar, aka dextrose. It's sugar from corn. IIRC, use 20-30% less to account for the water content in corn syrup.

Thanks for your replies. I thought it was just dextrose, but wondered if there was anything else in corn syrup to give it any added flavours.

When I started home brewing my sister gave me this book which has some great recipes in. It's quite dated though and made for an American audience. I'm brewing the ESB recipe. It does strike me as a bit odd to add corn syrup to an ESB.

Thanks for your replies. I thought it was just dextrose, but wondered if there was anything else in corn syrup to give it any added flavours.

When I started home brewing my sister gave me this book which has some great recipes in. It's quite dated though and made for an American audience. I'm brewing the ESB recipe. It does strike me as a bit odd to add corn syrup to an ESB.
Technically speaking corn syrup is inverted sugar. I thought you were making a light lager though. I would definitely use golden syrup though for an esb which is not readily available for Americans. We have a couple of corn syrup options on the shelf at the grocery stores the light one is made with vanilla and the dark one has molasses in it. Golden syrup is far superior to both.

Golden syrup is akin to invert #1. There are two different corn syrups. The other is the High-Fructose Corn syrup. It is similar to Golden syrup but is a little lighter in color and doesn't have the flavor of the Golden.

Latest posts

Back