Cornelius Keg Conditioning

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smileyr8

Impressive Member
Reaction score
I am just about getting sick of this...

Finding the last 5-10 pints are the best...

Basically I am fermenting in the primary for 2 weeks, then racking to the corny kegs & force carbing and leaving for a further 2 weeks in fridge or close by (4 weeks all told), then I will usually try half a pint to see what we have (usually its drinkable), I will usually increase the regularity of drinking this beer/keg as others run dry until I find the beer at its very best for the last 5-10 pints.

I am just wondering what others do, I am thinking of buying more kegs (I already have 4) in order to carb & the sit at house temperature for 2/4 weeks ala bottle conditioning.

OK rant over just kean to hear how others do it...........

I run 3 cornies and 2 kks and run them all through a flash chiller as and when required,never a problem with the quality of the beer and head retention,although ale does indeed improve with age and usually when I connect to the chiller the ale has matured up to at least 8 weeks

I also rack straight to a corny. I leave it to mature for about two weeks and then I drink it.

Just wondering if anyone has an opinion about racking to a secondary before kegging? Does it really make a difference?

I also rack straight to a corny. I leave it to mature for about two weeks and then I drink it.

Just wondering if anyone has an opinion about racking to a secondary before kegging? Does it really make a difference?

Glynn are you also finding the last 5-10 pints are the best?

At the moment I prime my kegs with sugar. I don't find that you need to leave them anywhere near 2 weeks. I tend to leave mine at room temp for a week then put them in the fridge. Secondary fermentation is probably complete in 2 or 3 days.

I`ve never put sugar in my cornie.I usually leave them for 2 weeks before I try 1 but last week I kegged on Thursday evening,force carbed and drank 5 pints on Friday night and it was excellent.

I`ve never put sugar in my cornie.I usually leave them for 2 weeks before I try 1 but last week I kegged on Thursday evening,force carbed and drank 5 pints on Friday night and it was excellent.

I have never drunk any of the kegged beers that young, I usually leave for 2 weeks give or take a day or 2, I find only my Pale Ale's taste anywhere near as good as I would like at that age, maybe it's the malt in the darker ales that need time to condition out.

So once you have purged the air from the keg can you disconnect it and leave it somewhere for a few weeks?

Yes you could do that, I run 4 kegs, usually 3 with beer in & in the kegarator, and the latest fill sat outside the kegarator and occasionally add the CO2 to keep the pressures up.

A question to you corny owners
Do you get sediment coming in your beer glass ??
I bottle at the moment, so this have been a silly question

A question to you corny owners
Do you get sediment coming in your beer glass ??
I bottle at the moment, so this have been a silly question

The first 1/2 to Pint out can be a little cloudy, but considering this is also used to flush the pipes, its no great loss.

The first 1/2 to Pint out can be a little cloudy, but considering this is also used to flush the pipes, its no great loss.

I find the last little bit out can also be cloudy - very annoying if you've already poured 3/4 pint before this happens :(

Usually for me the last drink is clear but never the less annoying...

I must get more yeast left in the corny than you - its like a little bit of the sediment gets dragged through with the last mouthful of beer.

Latest posts

Back