Cornflake Strain

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClownPrince

Regular.
Reaction score
Quick question.
Recently did a golden ale.
I haven't done anything resembling BIAB or all-grain before.
I thought this beer may be nice with a cornflake addition.
So i soaked 500g of cornflakes in 5l or so of 70-60 degree water for half an hour.
My worry is that that the bag i used for this wasn't the best.
It's this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071GP4SX5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
When i removed the bag to drain the moisture back into the brew water nothing was coming out. at all.

There may also have been some stray cornflakes which found themselves in my FV. I doubt this will be a problem, but can anyone confirm or allay my fears on this?

For a start, don't worry about the odd cornflake falling into the FV.

For the bag, the Amazon description says ...
  • Made from 75 micron tightly woven mesh and delivers a good straining action. Ideal for filtering homebrew wines, removing solids, squeezing liquid and all purpose food strainer.
The average cross-section of a human hair is 50 microns and the human eye cannot see anything smaller than 40 microns in size.

This tit-bit of information is probably why nothing came out of the bag! To let it "drip-dry" would take ages because the cornflakes would hold the moisture rather than let it go through the sides of the bag; and as per the description, some squeezing would be necessary.

On the plus side, there is nothing wrong with the bag itself but there will be little or no "cornflake flavour" transmitted to the brew because you didn't squeeze the contents out of it.

Enjoy and put it down to experience!

Flaked maize and similarly cornflakes need mashing with a diastase containing grain (like 'pale malt') to convert the starch into fermentable sugars. So if you didn't do that it is probable that starch will have leached out of your cornflakes and may ultimately give a starch haze in your beer. However you may not be concerned by that.

For a start, don't worry about the odd cornflake falling into the FV.

For the bag, the Amazon description says ...
  • Made from 75 micron tightly woven mesh and delivers a good straining action. Ideal for filtering homebrew wines, removing solids, squeezing liquid and all purpose food strainer.
The average cross-section of a human hair is 50 microns and the human eye cannot see anything smaller than 40 microns in size.

This tit-bit of information is probably why nothing came out of the bag! To let it "drip-dry" would take ages because the cornflakes would hold the moisture rather than let it go through the sides of the bag; and as per the description, some squeezing would be necessary.

On the plus side, there is nothing wrong with the bag itself but there will be little or no "cornflake flavour" transmitted to the brew because you didn't squeeze the contents out of it.

Enjoy and put it down to experience!

Thanks for the advice.
I know i'm going to sound thick with this, but when you say 'squeezing' that's just to extract the water, not the cornflake mush? I (now) know a few cornflakes won't hurt, but i'm presuming a load of mush isn't what I want going into my FV?

I haven't done anything resembling BIAB or all-grain before.
I thought this beer may be nice with a cornflake addition.

I like how these two sentences are part of the same post. :D

"I tried something I had never done before, so threw an extra curveball in there just for the hell of it" clapa

Thanks for the advice.
I know i'm going to sound thick with this, but when you say 'squeezing' that's just to extract the water, not the cornflake mush? I (now) know a few cornflakes won't hurt, but i'm presuming a load of mush isn't what I want going into my FV?

A load of cornflake mush in you're FV wont do anything. It'll just sink to the bottom of the FV and form part of the trub. Worse case scenario - you'll have more trub than you should

I like how these two sentences are part of the same post. :D

"I tried something I had never done before, so threw an extra curveball in there just for the hell of it" clapa

It's like the occasional over enthusiastic newbie we get, "I thought I'd like to try homebrewing so I bought a 50L Braumeister and 10 cornies. Now what do I do with them?"

I’m planning my first brew - an all-grain triple decoction barrel aged cave aged Imperial Stout.

I’ve watched a load of videos on BrewingNitpickers.com and can’t decide if the cave should be limestone or granite. What do you guys think?

Back