Cornie or screw top kegs

Discussion in 'Beer Brewing Equipment and Beer Kit Reviews.' started by sdt7618, Apr 17, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Apr 17, 2019 #1

sdt7618

sdt7618

sdt7618

Landlord.

so which is better, I have two cornies and to be honest have been a PITA as i had trouble finding a leak, now its solved I like it but the 19l ones are to big for my fridge and i have also found I like beer poured from a bottle now and again.

Thinking is the 9.5l kegs but thoughts on the options

1. a mini cornie and use the kit I have to carb and serve
    2. 10l screw top with lid that takes the kit I have

https://www.geterbrewed.com/complete-keg-sets-and-accessories/

The cost wieghted to the cornie with £20 in it right now, just something niggling me about the screw tops being a better seal.

2. Apr 17, 2019 #2

peebee

peebee

peebee

Out of Control

The 10L mini-keg with cap having Corny-style disconnects is only £14 more than the 9.5L Corny from Geterbrewed. not £20?

The mini-kegs do have a more reliable (threaded) cap, and are available in smaller sizes (2L, 3.6L and 5L). I'd say mini-kegs not small Cornies, but I would because that's what I've got. I don't "keg" in the mini-kegs, I pressure transfer from the 20L Cornies when I want them (outside in this forthcoming hot Summer, I hope).

sdt7618 likes this.
  3. Apr 17, 2019 #3

F00b4r

F00b4r

F00b4r

Regular.

The seal on brand new corny kegs is extremely good, whereas with older second hand kegs it is a lottery and you may get issues at really low carbonation, e.g. for a cask style beer.
    The other thing that swayed me in favour of corny kegs versus the mini kegs is that I have seen some with some nasty internal welds that will eventually become nasty bacteria breeding grounds, without a camera to check inside it is a risk too unless buying from someone you trust to have been checking them themselves and not just buying them in from China blindly.
    You can get corny kegs in 6L/6.5L/9.5L/10L/11L sizes too so, along with the mini kegs, you can scale to what you want, it quite useful when you want to brew a random brew length and just pick two kegs to match it.

sdt7618 likes this.
  4. Apr 17, 2019 #4

sdt7618

sdt7618

sdt7618

Landlord.

your right, I was looking at the smaller keg o_O