Cornies with handles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isolec82

Reaction score
I have seen a few people talk of using beer engines with Cornies. Presumably there is a small pressure applied to take up space when dispensing. Do you do a full carb - draught has less fizz? What pipe sizes are used as engines normally have larger pipes? Or is it just a bad idea!!

Corny and a hand pump are certainly doable,

As Brian says PeeBee has done a lot of research on this and has a great setup using low pressure regulators.

My current set up is slightly more basic but works fine.

The hand pump is connected directly to the liquid out post using 1/2 inch tube to a JG barb and on/off valve on the disconnect. I currently don't have the check valve fitted in this line so I can only serve at normal atmospheric pressure. Co2 is supplied form my gas distribution manifold via a cask breather and bypass loop. To serve any gas pressure is vented from the head space and the cask breather is utilised to supply the required gas at atmospheric as beer is served. When finished for the session the cask breather and the hand pump are isolated and the bypass loop is used to apply a small amount of top pressure, about 3-4psi. This set up is a bit manual and it is easy to forget to vent pressure when serving which results in beer being forced through the hand pump (I must get round to fitting the check valve).

You do need less carbonation than a normal keg tap as the action of the hand pump will cause foaming and result in a flat pint.

I have had a corny on my hand pump for at least a month now and it is still in great condition and it maintaining a good level of carbonation with a minimum of foaming.

Next project is to look at how to cool this corny ready for the summer as there is no room in my kegerator.

The photo below shows the current set up.

DSCF6417.JPG

A great link - definitely need to read a second time to get it all to sink in. On Dads-Ale's system I assume the "flying saucer" is an LPG regulator. I guess these are non adjustable and just happen to give the correct pressure!!

Latest posts

Back