Cornish beers and breweries

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cushyno

Landlord.
Reaction score
Booked our trip to Cornwall in march just before lockdown. Thankfully we're still good to go and looking forward to escaping the madhouse for a couple of weeks.

Anyway, enough of the backstory. Which Cornish beers should I be sampling and which breweries (Covid-19 restrictions permitting) should I be visiting while I'm there?

I'd rather buy a couple of crates of the local gold to tide me over and support a local business.

Booked our trip to Cornwall in march just before lockdown. Thankfully we're still good to go and looking forward to escaping the madhouse for a couple of weeks.

Anyway, enough of the backstory. Which Cornish beers should I be sampling and which breweries (Covid-19 restrictions permitting) should I be visiting while I'm there?

I'd rather buy a couple of crates of the local gold to tide me over and support a local business.
Depends where in Kernow you are going.

Obvious ones go to are Verdent seafood bar, Firebrand, Pipeline (if you can find some cans) Harbour and maybe padstow brewing and tap room.

Heading to Looe area, so South coast. Firebrand might be doable. Verdant and Harbour a bit of a trek, sadly. St Austell not far away, but a bit mainstream.

Thanks for the pointers @Hoddy athumb..

I would second that on St. Austell - went while I was a student many years a ago..an excellent brewery tour (and now enjoy their "Proper Job" Ipa bottles on a regular basis....

Worth giving them a call ...as their website is none too specific as to whther they are open or not....

Visited St. Austell a couple of years ago, worth a visit, good brewery tap & food.
The shop is worth a visit alone, they had some special offers for some of the smaller batch brews. Skinners could be another to visit.

Skinners do some lovely ales. But the Seafood Bar in Falmouth is worth your time visiting. Verdant by far the best brewery in cornwall

Also off there in a few weeks so watching this with interest. Hadn't really twigged our proximity to the mighty Verdant though seems like the brewery shop is closed for now, something about relocating 😭 The Seafood Bar sounds good excepting that I'll have two kids in tow and a wife that hates fish and seafood 😭

All is not lost though as on their stockist list is a rather nice looking off licence not too far from our caravan site 👍

We're staying near Helston and exploring the Lizard and west Cornwall for a few weeks. Will be sampling as much Cornish beer and cider as I can manage 😁

Can't really add too much more to whats already been mentioned. I second the st austell brewery tour, although you want to get in and out of St Awful as quickly as you can....

If you make it to St Agnes there's a lovely pub down near the beach called the Driftwood Spars which has a brewery across the road, they do decent food and usually good beer.

Falmouth is good for pubs, though I haven't been since Covid.

Skinners brewery tour, then few beers in the old ale house in truro, just opposite there's a shop called the red elephant which sells beer from all over but they stock just about all Cornish breweries beer. I think verdant stuff sells out pretty quickly though. Opens at 11am.

I can't think what it's called but in Constantine (nr Helston) there's a shop which apparently has just about any kind of spirit you could think of, not sure what the beer selection is like though.

I don't often buy canned beer but if you do then obviously Verdant and Pipeline (new st agnes brewery) sell hoppy IPA type canned beer. There's a couple of breweries in Ponsanooth, dynamite valley and treen. Dynamite valley do decent beer and have a brew pub type thing. There's also Woodmans wild Ales, beer made out of stuff he forages near Ponsanooth. Keltek brewery in deadruth do decent beer, generally more esb/bitter than ipa's, their new(ish) porter is decent.

If i think of anymore i'll add later.

Mind the pitchfork waving locals while your down.

This is great info from you guys, thanks to all of you. I'll try to get a trip to St Austell, and will definitely find an excuse to go down to Lizard Point and order a takeaway from the Seafood Bar on the way back. 😋

This will be useful to anyone who likes Verdant stuff and is going near Falmouth, these pubs sell their stuff............
The Working Boat
Seaview Inn
The Boathouse
The Moth and The Moon

Toast me when you're sat in one of them 🤣

I can't think what it's called but in Constantine (nr Helston) there's a shop which apparently has just about any kind of spirit you could think of, not sure what the beer selection is like though.

This is the place I mentioned, they're listed on the Verdant website as a stockist and the have some Verdant stuff listed on their website for sale: Buy Wine, Whiskey, Gin, Rum & Alcohol Online | Drink Finder

Will definitely be having a look!

This is stunning, in my opinion of course, no good probably if you're a Doombar fan though........

:laugh8:
verdant cat.jpg

I think st austell do the best cornish beers. Have tried all the skinners stuff and think its foul. The healey cider farm is a good afternoon out, yes they makr the crappy 'rattler' there but they also do loads of lovely whisky/sherry barrel aged ciders there plus its nice for the kids (animals, tractor ride, cyder museum)...be warned though you'll end up coming away with arm fulls of cider from the gift shop

Latest posts

Back