Cornish beers and breweries

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine too from skinners, though I like Betty stoggs also.
76B712ED-C70E-45AF-88C3-C170E8C776EF.jpeg

Down in Cornwall this week and funnily enough enjoyed a pint of Betty yesterday 🍺

Haven't been down that way for a long time but the Blue Anchor in Helston used to have it's own brewery
http://www.spingoales.com/Brewery.html
The memories of sitting atop the 30mph sign waving at the traffic at it passed (that's just a half dozen or so cars) …

I remember they didn't have their strongest Spingo on at the time (probably a good thing). And being accused of being a "light-weight" (or whatever passed as a light-weight in them days) because I wanted to try them all which meant trying the weak one at some point (weak? - that's just means "weaker than the others"). It really messed up the day's climbing on the sickenly vertical sea-cliffs next day!

If you think this was recently: At that time "The Blue Anchor" was one of only four brew-pubs remaining in Britain.

EDIT: I notice that "Spingo" link mentions its 1 of 4 too ... that must be a very out-of-date webpage?

Last edited:
Wheat beer aside, beer is hazy because it contains particles of yeast and proteins in suspension. I don’t like the taste of particles of yeast and proteins, so if a beer is described as ‘naturally hazy’, I naturally avoid it.

Anyone heading for Cornwall will be missing out if they ignore beer brewed to the east of the Tamar, which being a Member of the Jail Ale Appreciation Society, I feel needs mentioning.

Been twenty or so years since we were in the Blue Anchor. They'd sell you carry outs of Spingo in old pop bottles.
The locals called the strong stuff "Milk of Amnesia".
One of the best beers I've tasted. Be good to try and get a clone recipe.

Latest posts

Back