Cornu keg connections

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fritzpoll85

Supporting Member
Reaction score
To help with my first all grain brew, I got bought a brewuk corny kit (https://www.brewuk.co.uk/cornelius-1keg-starter-set.html)

But it comes with no instructions, except how to connect the regulator to the CO2 bottle. Everyone everywhere seems to just know how this works. Is there a guide somewhere, as I'm worried about screwing it up.

Was going to trial just carbonating water before risking the beer!

To help with my first all grain brew, I got bought a brewuk corny kit (https://www.brewuk.co.uk/cornelius-1keg-starter-set.html)

But it comes with no instructions, except how to connect the regulator to the CO2 bottle. Everyone everywhere seems to just know how this works. Is there a guide somewhere, as I'm worried about screwing it up.

I bought the exact same thing, I will give you some pointers when I get home unless someone else does first

Looking at what you have there, you need to push one end of the grey gas line into the john guest fitting screwed on to the regulator. With a firm push you should feel it 'going in' and gripping. Check there are no rough edges on gas pipe first and sand if necessary.

Other end goes in the similar fitting on the grey disconnect. This in turn needs to be attached to the IN post on the top of the keg. It should be marked. This is v important as the out post which isn't marked is very subtly different and if you get em wrong they are a bugger to get off. Position it centrally and push down firmly with palm of hand and it should click on nicely. Spraying a bit of starsan in the disconnect can help things along.

Black disconnect is always beer out. In your case it looks like it is attached to tap. With no intervening beer line you are likely to need to set serving pressure quite low - which is not a problem.

Also once set up spray all the fittings etc with soapy water to look for leaks. We have all list 6.5kg of cow at some point.

9B2A7543-BD40-424B-89FB-E83F6DDEBBD2.jpeg 6A66DB4D-EDB8-43F8-AE67-9B09BD20DA6B.jpeg 636E2E61-58DB-4B55-BBA8-EE96F4798C0A.jpeg F452DD2F-F20A-4C93-AFD9-E702ED9DC321.jpeg Firstly (this is my experience anyway) forget about connecting the tap straight to the keg, it’s a false selling point and the guy at Brew uk basically told me that, it will be far too frothy (others on here more experienced may say different)
You need some beer line and a few reducers etc, I bought my starter kit from Brew uk but spoke to Rob at the Malt Miller who helped me greatly (and guys on here)
I have attached a few pictures and will answer any more questions but prob tomorrow as I’m heading back out but good luck mate athumb..

View attachment 22405 View attachment 22406 View attachment 22407 View attachment 22408 Firstly (this is my experience anyway) forget about connecting the tap straight to the keg, it’s a false selling point and the guy at Brew uk basically told me that, it will be far too frothy (others on here more experienced may say different)
You need some beer line and a few reducers etc, I bought my starter kit from Brew uk but spoke to Rob at the Malt Miller who helped me greatly (and guys on here)
I have attached a few pictures and will answer any more questions but prob tomorrow as I’m heading back out but good luck mate athumb..

Cheers! I will probably have to use the tap for now as I need to keg up very soon. Any idea what it was you bought to fix it up, or shall I get in touch with Malt Miller?

Cheers! I will probably have to use the tap for now as I need to keg up very soon. Any idea what it was you bought to fix it up, or shall I get in touch with Malt Miller?
I will message you tomorrow
You don’t need the tap to keg mind, just keg it and store although you will be keen to drink it you will need to leave it for 5-7 days anyway (IMO)

I’m sure you need a couple of 3/8 to 3/16th reducers and at least 2 metres of 3/16th beer line, oh, and 6 inches of 3/8 beer line.
Basically the smaller beer line reduces foaming and gives a better pour but the taps, quick disconnects etc require a 3/8 tube so you have to reduce the size, it sounds a nightmare but speak to Rob and he will talk you through it.
I do wish they wouldn’t sell this as a “complete starter kit” though, it drove me crazy

For now, I also have just got the tap that connects to the keg and hope to test things fully in the next couple of days. Though when I eventually get some line out for the beer I sure don't intend to use more than 3ft at the most unless my actual results indicate otherwise. Far to many variables to say for sure and everyone's setup will be slightly different.

View attachment 22405 View attachment 22406 View attachment 22407 View attachment 22408 Firstly (this is my experience anyway) forget about connecting the tap straight to the keg, it’s a false selling point and the guy at Brew uk basically told me that, it will be far too frothy (others on here more experienced may say different)

Do the quick disconnects just jam onto the ports? Sorry these are stupid questions, but seriously I have instructions for the regulator and nothing else. And everything, video or otherwise that I find assumes some level of knowledge about how all the bits work

Hi @Fritzpoll85

From there (link) ...
This Cornelius keg coupler has a black plastic body, which indicates it’s intended for use with liquids. To install, pull up the collar, push the disconnect over the keg’s liquid post, and release. The internal spring will release and lock the disconnect in place. For a complete system, you’ll also need a disconnect for your gas, which will be grey.
... removal is the reverse of fitting ... as they used to like to say in the Haynes manualsathumb..

Cheers, PhilB

Do the quick disconnects just jam onto the ports? Sorry these are stupid questions, but seriously I have instructions for the regulator and nothing else. And everything, video or otherwise that I find assumes some level of knowledge about how all the bits work
Just pull the lip up, sit the disconnect onto the post and release

For now, I also have just got the tap that connects to the keg and hope to test things fully in the next couple of days. Though when I eventually get some line out for the beer I sure don't intend to use more than 3ft at the most unless my actual results indicate otherwise. Far to many variables to say for sure and everyone's setup will be slightly different.

Ok, now I'm pretty much there carbonation wise & I'm certainly drawing a lot of froth from just the tap. So certainly time to look at the line and connections I think. Only I've yet to convert the fridge (and won't have the time till next month) and don't like the idea of using an unattached tap. But hay ho, will need the line anyway so might as well get it sooner than later and have a play with it length wise.

So I'm trying to sort out just what line & bits I need to get sorted. I have the tap of cause, the thread in is 1/4 inch and so would require a male connector to go into the tap. But I'm slightly unsure on what size the other end need to be?. As if I've read correctly it's 3/8 keg end and what 3/16 tap end with a reducer inbetween?. But I'm struggling to find a 3/16 to 1/4 inch male thread adapter to go into the tap, any suggestions?

So I'm trying to sort out just what line & bits I need to get sorted. I have the tap of cause, the thread in is 1/4 inch and so would require a male connector to go into the tap. But I'm slightly unsure on what size the other end need to be?. As if I've read correctly it's 3/8 keg end and what 3/16 tap end with a reducer inbetween?. But I'm struggling to find a 3/16 to 1/4 inch male thread adapter to go into the tap, any suggestions?

Does the tap have a shank between the faucet and some kind of adapter to fit the disconnect such that you can replace that adapter with something else. Most shanks fit a 5/8" BSP to 3/8" JG adapter. You then have a short length of 3/8 line to go from that adapter to a 3/8: 3/16 JG reducer. You then have as much 3/16 line as you need and then step it back up to 3/8 via another reducer and have a small length of 3/8th back to the JG on the black disconnect to the keg.

Does the tap have a shank between the faucet and some kind of adapter to fit the disconnect such that you can replace that adapter with something else. Most shanks fit a 5/8" BSP to 3/8" JG adapter. You then have a short length of 3/8 line to go from that adapter to a 3/8: 3/16 JG reducer. You then have as much 3/16 line as you need and then step it back up to 3/8 via another reducer and have a small length of 3/8th back to the JG on the black disconnect to the keg.

No, just the adapter that goes straight on the disconnect as per pic. IMG_20200116_130415.jpg

Latest posts

Back