Corny Keg Advice Please, New to Kegging

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parpot

Regular.
Reaction score
My question is, I have had a corny in my fridge cold crashing which is now complete, can I take the corny out of the fridge for storage or must I leave it in, my Garage is about 18 degrees currently ?

You can take it out. It may not store that well at 18 degrees but will be fine so long as you’re not planning to keep it for a few months at that temperature. If you’re serving/force carbing make sure you factor in the temperature

'Cold crashing' is a barely effective means of clearing the beer ('barely' is being kind). But it's popular at the moment and avoids using dodgy very effective clearing products containing fish guts and calves feet (isinglass and gelatine). If you 'store' the beer for extended periods at those 'cold crash' temperatures you are 'lagering' ('lager' means 'store'). As I'm a traitor to my 'Real Ale' drinking fraternity, I've got 20L of (dark) lager in the fridge at the moment - my first attempt so I am making no recommendations for 'lagering' yet: But it appears to be doing something?

Many thanks for the responses. The Keg I have now taken out was carbonated over a couple of weeks with Co2 increasing slowly and is now perfect. However because I had a second keg in the Fridge at low temperature because I am carbonating that using a Stone, the first keg had Chill haze but has now completely cleared. As far as storing is concerned, both kegs will be used, hopefully at a Family BBQ at the start of August.

Latest posts

Back