Corny Keg Connection Help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wills

Reaction score
I've just made the move to a corny keg and ordered the necessary bits to get it connected but when everything arrived it didn't connect and I wanted some advice on how to put it right.

Things that work:
The beer line connects to the corny key with a ball connector - all good
The gas line connects to the corny keg with a ball connector

Things that don't work:
The CO2 canister does not connect to my regulator (pic below)
The regulator gas out is too big for my gas line (pic below) - this isn't obvious from the photo but trust me, it's too big

ivyRH4PEuIn45PL23

1wOn2k4HtvWib73z2

***If the pics don't load then it doesn't make the post invalid - basically it shows that my regulator connector nut is the same diameter as the thread on the CO2 canister but it doesn't tighten up. The other pic just shows that my gas tube won't fit on my regulator's gas out.

The regulator is described as this:
CO2 Regulator Beer Brewing Kegerator Bar Dual Gauge Valve 5/16" CGA320 1/4" NPT

I assumed the fittings would be standard but I'm guessing the thread size of the regulator nut isn't the same as the CO2 canister

So, to try and put the above into questions:

1. Do you think the regulator won't fit the CO2 canister because the fitting is different?
2. If the answer is yes, is it possible to just change the nut on the regulator?
3. If the answer to 2 is yes, please could someone let me know what the standard fitting is for a UK CO2 canister
4. Should I change my gas line to fit the nipple of my regulator or should I change the nipple of my regulator to fit the gas line I already have (which also fits the ball lock valve I already have)

Thanks everyone who read as far as this!

Hi!
My regulator needed a hose barb fitting for the gas out port - I had to buy it separately.

Rah! Parweld FTW! I got mine delivered for less than £19. I replaced the output with an on/off valve but did have a plastic 3/8" John Guest on the output for a while. It's amazing considering the ones HB sites have for 4 times the price.

You are screwing it on the right way anticlockwise?

Yep, definitely doing that - I can see 2 things it could be...It's a new part and the thread looks like it doesn't quite go to the end of the nut so it could be that. The other thing is that I bought it on eBay so it's possible it's not a standard UK fitting but I don't know if the thread on CO2 Cylinders differs from country to country.

1/4 NPT sounds like an American fitting to me. NPT is similar to BPT which we use for a lot of fittings in the UK but has a slight taper to it. You can get away with it in some low pressure plumbing situations with a hefty bit of PTFE tape and a good spanner but for high pressure gas, I think you will want the correct fitting.

1/4 NPT sounds like an American fitting to me. NPT is similar to BPT <sic - BSP?> which we use for a lot of fittings in the UK but has a slight taper to it. You can get away with it in some low pressure plumbing situations with a hefty bit of PTFE tape and a good spanner but for high pressure gas, I think you will want the correct fitting.
Careful! That only applies to 1/2" and 3/4" threads which share the same threads-per-inch (TPI). 14 TPI. The thread form is slightly different but you can get away with male BSP into female NPT for low pressure*. BSP can be tapered too - usually designated BSPT for male threads and Rc for female threads (Rc isn't so common, male BSPT often gets screwed into female BSPP - parallel - threads).

* For beer, the regulated pressure can always be considered low. I wouldn't like to mix NPT and BSP on the high pressure (cylinder) side.

Yep, definitely doing that - I can see 2 things it could be...It's a new part and the thread looks like it doesn't quite go to the end of the nut so it could be that. The other thing is that I bought it on eBay so it's possible it's not a standard UK fitting but I don't know if the thread on CO2 Cylinders differs from country to country.
The thread is an unusual size (on UK CO2 cylinders) - 5/8" BSP (normal sizes jump from 1/2" to 3/4" EDITED: Oops, was wrong range, BSP sizes can be confusing!). I think this thread has range that it will fit to (e.g. M22), but don't take that as accurate. But it is a parallel thread and there should be a suitable washer in the female side (regulator) for the male side (cylinder) to seal against.

EDIT: A piccie showing a seal -

20180111_182206.jpg

Warning: The pictured device is a "flow regulator" and is entirely unsuitable (dangerous even) for our purposes. However it looks almost identical to the pressure regulators I do use - I don't care for those Neanderthal "welders'" regulators.

Last edited:
The regulator I have is the CO2PO from BeerHawk, which is American. It comes with an adaptor to fit British CO2 bottles. It might be worth sending them an email asking what the different specifications are and whether they can sell the adaptor separately.

The thread is an unusual size (on UK CO2 cylinders) - 5/8" BSP (normal sizes jump from 1/2" to 3/4"). I think this thread has range that it will fit to (e.g. M22), but don't take that as accurate. But it is a parallel thread and there should be a suitable washer in the female side (regulator) for the male side (cylinder) to seal against. ...
The thread on a CO2 cylinder will comply with: DIN 477 / BS 341 No. 8 / JIS m22-14 / W21.8-14 / .860" x 1/14 (covers UK, Europe and Asia).

Back