Corny Keg gas posts - replace?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roddy J

Reaction score
Hi, I've started using corny kegs this year (after 30 years of bottling) so all still a bit new to this.

I've just kegged an NZ IPA into one of the kegs on Sunday and filled with CO2 using sodastream and regulator. Purged a few times and left it at 20psi and thankfully removed the gas connector.
I'd checked Monday and the pressure had dropped to zero. After a lot of tampering I found that there is a leak from the bottom of the gas post. Its a stainless steel ball-lock assembly.

I purged the co2 and took off the post. The dip tube doesn't have an o-ring and didn't have one when I got it. When I did add one I couldn't get the gas post to thread on so just left it off. I've had 2 brews in this keg so far without any issue.
On checking various videos etc it looks like it should take an o-ring. I've now got a replacement o-ring pack and tried to fit it to the dip tube today but the gas post will not thread on to the keg to be sealed. Its like the addition of the o-ring is stopping the assembly connecting to threads on the post.
Looking closer the threads on the posts are not great so the question is what I can do ?

Can I replace the full post connection i.e. inside and outside the corny. If so how easy is this to do? I can see you can buy the whole assembly with posts from various sellers but I don't know if thats just for replacing S30 values on pressure barrels. I do have a pressure barrel with S30 valve so tempted to order the gas assembly and post as it can be used on the PB if not the corny.

The dip tube without o-ring is back on and the assembly is screwed back on to try n save the beer for now but would appreciate any ideas for next steps?

Thanks

I take the dip tube out of the gas post so I can add just that extra bit of beer. You can put some ptfe tape on the threads of the post - that's probably all it needs.

And in case it happens to anyone and there doesn't seem to be a good seal when you put the disconnect on then put a turn or two of ptfe under the post o-ring. Some o-rings are fatter than others and work better. But note you really don't need much under it.

Thanks for that @Drunkula . Plumbers tape on and the leak has been sealed.

Cheers
Glad you've got it working but also this...
left it at 20psi and thankfully removed the gas connector.
You have to leave the gas on because your 20psi will be absorbed into the beer within a matter of hours leaving a top pressure of zero. Leave it on for at least a week but it'll still be absorbing more for at least another week after that.

You have to leave the gas on because your 20psi will be absorbed into the beer within a matter of hours leaving a top pressure of zero.
[/QUOTE]

Hi @foxbat

I do re-connect the supply once I've left it a few hours. If I see the pressure drops quicker than expected then I get the Chemsan spray out and check for leaks. If all OK then I re-connect, top up to 20 psi but switch off again. I'll just keep topping up through the week which is usually enough time to carb it and clear it for me.
At some point my confidence will let me set n go..... 🤞

Latest posts

Back