Corny Keg leaking - vasaline?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshbrewer

Out on the marshes, wailing at the moon.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a reconditioned corny from the Home Brew Company. Came pressurised. I washed, sanatised it and put a brew into it (a hoppy pale) and all was fine and dandy. Carbed up fine over a couple of weeks and was holding 10psi to the end of the keg. I was seriously excited by the whole experience.

Washed, sanitised, and put another brew into it - Kentucky Common. Pressurised up to 15psi, half a day later was down to 2 - 3 psi. Thought nothing of this, so repeated, again was down to a few PSI. Basically, a week later, topping it up every frigging day to 15 PSI, sometimes twice, it always drops to 8-9 PSI. Its at a steady 5 degrees C. I really cant believe the beer is still absorbing CO2 - can it be? Poured a pint tonight (at 15 psi!) and its pretty flaccid and didn't seem to come out of the tap any more enthusiastically than the previous brew. Yes, it has CO2 dissolved in it but its not like the previous brew.

So, the only thing I can think of is that the lid seal is leaking slightly? I have sprayed strong washing up liquid solution all over the lid edge and the gas / liquid posts but I can't see any leaks / bubbles.

I'm thinking of depressurising it, smearing the keg seal with Vaseline and trying again. Is Vaseline OK to use, or will it attack the seal ~ I know it kills condoms, so am I better using KY jelly? No sniggering at the back!

I'm a little fed up to be honest. Moved away from King Kegs so I didn't have to deal with this sort of **** constantly , but I'm trying to stay positive and keep telling myself once I've cracked it it will be fine ~ so any confidence boosting suggestions would also be really welcome!

Am I right in saying you left the first keg on at 10psi all the time without turning it off (good) and this second keg you've changed to a pressurise-off-pressurise-off cycle (not good)? If so then definitely yes the beer will quickly absorb what's in the headspace and the lid will then become a poor fit as there won't be enough pressure to hold it in place. The best methods for keg carbonating are listed here. All of them work:

http://brulosophy.com/methods/carbonation-methods/

Mmmmm, I'm pretty sure I did the same thing with the previous keg, although I might be wrong as I hadn't built a kegerator at this point so it was just hooked up to the keg via the primary regulator, but yes, now it's a on / off situation, mainly because I'm paranoid about leaks and loosing all my gas. However, I'm lucky enough to be getting free fills at the moment (long story) so, thinking about it logically I'm not sure why, so I'm off to set it at 15 psi overnight and see what happens!

Thanks gents - I think its just time to just have a bit of confidence in my setup, and use the set and forget method ~ this will at least bring any issues to light. I'll get some KY jelly tomorrow just in case I am getting a leak from the lid seal.

Good job you did not have muscle pains and had the Firey Jack there Ouch!!!

Good job you did not have muscle pains and had the Firey Jack there Ouch!!!
Off topic, but I learnt a good lesson when using proxitane, it leaves you with a white residue on your fingers. Wash it off before handling the wedding tackle, that can make you cross your legs.

Oh by the way Foxy I am brewing at this mo and thanks to your help have managed to sort out the PH to 5.4 on this and a previous brewathumb..

Seriously though, is there a reason you shouldn't use vaseline? I have been using it since I got my kegs and have had no issues yet.

the only real reason is it probably isn't food grade or safe to ingest I have used it in the past but now use as I know you will laugh KY Jelly:laugh8:

I once recently lost all my gas! Turned out it wasn't the lid or any of the keg seals, but the gas connection had a tiny leak so i greased all my gas connectors with Vaseline and not had a problem since!
I always do a soap test on the keg seals but i didn't check the outside of the connector but i do now!

Latest posts

Back