Corny Keg newbie advice please!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve
I think you're bang on the cylinder was horizontal and I saw liquid flowing. Therefore I assume in should be vertical.
Some people do have their cylinders horizontal and seem to get away with it. I wouldn't like to predict what does happen if you have a cylinder horizontal, but perhaps you are experiencing one possible outcome. So for starters, don't do it!

I suspect my tubing should connect via a flared fitting and jubilee clip.
"Flared fitting"? I think you mean a "hosetail". But they have their faults too, but leaks from hosetails can occur after time as the tube gets older and hardens, especially the MDPE tubing usually used. JG fittings are okay, though do tend to leak if moved about or the tube turns too sharply near the fitting. Applying a light smear of lubricant (Vaseline, or the "food-grade" equivalent) around the end of the tube is usually enough to ensure the O-ring will seal. The end of the tube should be cut square (not at an angle) and cleaned up so no rough bits.

Thanks. No it's flared but you are right the JG leaks when the tube moves which is ****. I'll try flared and it has to be better.

Thanks. No it's flared …
Ah, them https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flare_fitting? They hadn't occurred to me, but I guess they won't leak.

I don't use JG fittings for gas either ('cos they leak). Pneumatic fittings and 4 or 6mm ID polyurethane tubing (very flexible). These things https://www.contextpneumatics-catal...1&level1=29982&level2=34452&stockistown=False. They are perhaps on the same lines as "flared fittings" and a hell of a lot cheaper than JG too.

Thanks. No it's flared but you are right the JG leaks when the tube moves which is ****. I'll try flared and it has to be better.
In addition to what peebee said the surface of the tube that is pushed into the JG fitting can't have scratches or any hairs stuck on it because they'll let gas through the o-ring-to-pipe seal. It's all about that o-ring (and making sure you have pushed hard enough that the pipe has gone through it).

I do find the JG fittings to seal well but I have to consider them single-use because the plastic collet grip thingy that stops the pipe from flying out under pressure (been there, done that, most amusing) always snaps off either while the pipe's still in or during my attempts to remove it even when I carefully push the collar down and try to ease the infernal thing gently back out.

The line I bought came with a jubilee clip and doesn't have that smooth a finish. I need a 1/4" MFL to 1/4" flared fitting really but none available. So I've order a sooth air line.

Back