Corny keg newbie help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gwen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a complete Corny novice. I have searched as much info as I can but think I just need your help as I am just as confused as before 😆. I have just picked up this Corny keg. Can you tell me if this is a pin or ball lock disconnect?(if that's the right terminology) I will no doubt get a second one so need to make sure they are the same. I do not make loads of beer just about to keg/bottle my 4th beer brew this year. What are recommendations for gas? Soda stream or get a larger size bottle? I have no idea what the sizes are and how many kegs and cleans each would do. I have quite a good relationship with a pub so that could be an option as I see people say you could get gas through them.
It came with a party tap so I know I just have to get pipe and regulator for gas in.
Any help muchly appreciated 😊

Attachments

• IMG_20210725_101301.jpg
    IMG_20210725_101301.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20210725_101315.jpg
    IMG_20210725_101315.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20210725_101334.jpg
    IMG_20210725_101334.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20210725_101342.jpg
    IMG_20210725_101342.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 51
I am a complete Corny novice. I have searched as much info as I can but think I just need your help as I am just as confused as before 😆. I have just picked up this Corny keg. Can you tell me if this is a pin or ball lock disconnect?(if that's the right terminology) I will no doubt get a second one so need to make sure they are the same. I do not make loads of beer just about to keg/bottle my 4th beer brew this year. What are recommendations for gas? Soda stream or get a larger size bottle? I have no idea what the sizes are and how many kegs and cleans each would do. I have quite a good relationship with a pub so that could be an option as I see people say you could get gas through them.
It came with a party tap so I know I just have to get pipe and regulator for gas in.
Any help muchly appreciated 😊

That's a ball lock you've got there. I'd get larger gas bottle particularly if you can source via the pub. Works out a lot cheaper than soda stream option. Would only go the latter if either its really hard to source tank or you want a degree of portability.

As above i have a 6.35kg bottle which i believe will do 15 to 20 kegs a soda stream will do 2, some places do 3.15kg one's my big one cost 35 for deposit and 15 for gas so 50 for first bottle then 15 a refill

While I use a soda stream cylinder this is for reasons I won’t bore you with, it’s fine for dispensing but it is not a cost effective way of buying CO2 basically if a big cylinder is a valid option for you I would go for that.

It’s not quite that bad (they are just over 400g but still a very expensive way of buying CO2) basically if you can don’t do what I do and get a full size cylinder instead.
Well up here in the North - you only get 250gs in a sodastream

You southerners (or wherever you are from) have it easy

I used to dream of getting 400gs per sodastream bottle - but these young ones today they don't know how easy they've got it

Well up here in the North - you only get 250gs in a sodastream

You southerners (or wherever you are from) have it easy

I used to dream of getting 400gs per sodastream bottle - but these young ones today they don't know how easy they've got it
Regardless I think we can agree that it’s an expensive way of getting CO2 (though not quite as bad as 16g cartridges), and if the op can get it they should go for a full size cylinder.

Regardless I think we can agree that it’s an expensive way of getting CO2 (though not quite as bad as 16g cartridges), and if the op can get it they should go for a full size cylinder.
Definitely - In this area (up in the North) - it is easy to google gas supply companies (the ones that supply pubs) and buy direct

Cheers

That's a ball lock you've got there. I'd get larger gas bottle particularly if you can source via the pub. Works out a lot cheaper than soda stream option. Would only go the latter if either its really hard to source tank or you want a degree of portability.
Hi Gwen

This is what you need Premium Ball lock disconnect Gas IN Barbed

BKT are an excellent company to deal with

Thanks everyone for your input. I will be chatting the pub up on Friday as searching on line to buy a bottle from BOC etc to get me stated is a big no no. Apparently there is a bottle shortage and only doing refills if you have a bottle to start with. asad. So if local cant help it might have to be the soda steam route.

I suggest that you shop around a bit BOC very expensive as they not only charge for the gas they also charge rent on the bottle. I got one locally food grade CO2 9kg ( I think) for £25. for the year or until empty take it back and exchange for another for 12 months for another £25.

Back