Corny Keg or King Keg?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do your KK lids have round or square 'O'-rings? Did you ever find where they were leaking?

Funny you should mention that, the lids are the ones that came with the kegs with round O-rings. I saw these a while back: https://www.balliihoo.co.uk/#ballii...o-valve-pressure-test-point-gauge-p-1516.html

With square washers and wondered if it was worth a try so I've just ordered one.

The plan is to fit the valve to the lid with new inlet and pressure relief rubbers plus a new washer for the valve to lid seal. I'll also to check if the neck of the King Keg has any high spots and sand down accordingly (discussed in another thread on here). I'm then going to pressurise it empty using a bike pump through the schrader valve, my track pump has a gauge so I'll probably take it to the point where the pressure relief opens. After it has settled to a pressure I'll then check for leaks with a spray of diluted washing up liquid (or Starsan), if I don't find any then I'll leave it pressurised and still if it's still holding after a few days. Hopefully that will sort it or it will be hurled in the bin (possibly!).

Funny you should mention that, the lids are the ones that came with the kegs with round O-rings. I saw these a while back: https://www.balliihoo.co.uk/#ballii...o-valve-pressure-test-point-gauge-p-1516.html

With square washers and wondered if it was worth a try so I've just ordered one.

The plan is to fit the valve to the lid with new inlet and pressure relief rubbers plus a new washer for the valve to lid seal. I'll also to check if the neck of the King Keg has any high spots and sand down accordingly (discussed in another thread on here). I'm then going to pressurise it empty using a bike pump through the schrader valve, my track pump has a gauge so I'll probably take it to the point where the pressure relief opens. After it has settled to a pressure I'll then check for leaks with a spray of diluted washing up liquid (or Starsan), if I don't find any then I'll leave it pressurised and still if it's still holding after a few days. Hopefully that will sort it or it will be hurled in the bin (possibly!).
Those are the ones I fitted. I also used a thin smear of food-grade grease. For testing mine, I put some water in, pressurised it with an 8g bulb of CO2 and stood it almost upside down. Also laid it on its side with tap lowermost. Good luck! I think these lids can be overtightened too. The grease helps to snug it up without overloading the threads.

It is a mass of pros and cons to be honest. I solved it by mixing it all! So yeah ive got commerical kegs, corny kegs, Tap a draft, growlers of various types and of course good old fashioned bottles.
I put out a video about all this a while back if you are interested in the full thoughts around beer storage:-

Back