Corny keg poppet replacement

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S7655

Reaction score
Hi I have purchased some new universal poppets for a corny keg.
Basically they are a spring with a poppet on the end.
My existing poppets are different they are smaller with three small feet on the bottom end.
The universal poppets are proving to be a nightmare to fit so does anyone know a supplier that sells the same as my originals.
Thanks if you can advise.

Hi I have purchased some new universal poppets for a corny keg.
Basically they are a spring with a poppet on the end.
My existing poppets are different they are smaller with three small feet on the bottom end.
The universal poppets are proving to be a nightmare to fit so does anyone know a supplier that sells the same as my originals.
Thanks if you can advise.
Cut the lower ring so as it is flush with the one above and it should fit OK.

Thank you a bit worried about the seal but it might be worth a try

Not a precise answer to the query but I recently had a leaking gas post and after a lot of troubleshooting decided it was the poppet. Couldn't easily get the one out so ordered new posts which have these universal puppets. New post went on a dream and requires much smaller spanner so much easier to tighten/ loosen. Anyway my point is for marginal cost difference might just be worth getting the 'new' post complete with poppet.

… The universal poppets are proving to be a nightmare to fit so does anyone know a supplier that sells the same as my originals. …
The reason there are "universal poppets" and not the originals is there are so many different designs. The keg was generally to a specification, but those specs didn't detail exactly how the post was constructed, so the innards were whatever the manufacturer decided they should be. I decided to replace the O-rings on all my poppets. I gave up after sourcing two sizes of O-ring. The O-rings were different, the poppet leg/retainer designs different (some of them virtually impossible to remove), in the end I just got "universal" poppets.

But that wasn't the end of problems: The poppets can tilt in some posts and not seal, a potential disaster if it ever happens to a "live" keg. I try not to remove disconnects once fitted.

@Horners suggestion to replace the entire post shouldn't feel so extravagant now?

Brilliant thanks all for your help much appreciated. If you have any recommendations for suppliers of post and poppet that would be great.

Back