Corny keg priming

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labrewski

Landlord.
Reaction score
Would the good people recommend priming a keg with sugar like when bottling
Or gas only

No need for sugar, i connect keg to the gas and leave connected.My reg is set at 13psi for pale ales.They are carbed up lovely after a week.

Gas only will be a lot cleaner and controlled.
The beauty of gas👍
I burst carbonate at 50 for 36 hrs then turn down to 12.

Surprisingly nobody had mentioned that you have to control BOTH temp and pressure to achieve your desired ‘fizz’

Quoting pressure is meaningless.

https://jollygoodbeer.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/JollyGoodBeer_PSI_Chart_for_CO2.pdf
I'd say all down to personal preference.
You place your keg in your fridge, set to roughly what you desire and take it from there.
You'll know when the beer is to your liking 👍
Or you of course can use your quoted chart and take it from there👍
I'm sure both methods work equally well.

I'm sure both methods work equally well.
Nope, you lost. Suck it up!!!!! Booooooooo!!!

Aaaaanyway. You can use sugar to prime a keg but it misses the point. With gas you don't have to add extra conditioning time, don't have to settle out the extra yeast, and the saving from using sugar is absolutely minimal. I worked it all out and it's like 6p with a pub gas bottle. Is that extra sediment and time worth 6p? No.

When I first switched to cornies force carbonation seemed to go against the grain a bit as I've been brought up to believe proper ale shouldn't have that done to it and be naturally carbonated. After the first keg there was no looking back. No need for it to be like the nasty gassy stuff sold in pubs in the 80s.

I do add sugar to condition in the keg. I really dislike the fact that Cornies only hold five us gallons - just shy of 19 litres - when my brew length is over 25 litres with the Grainfather. It takes no more effort, and miniscule extra cost, to brew 25 litres than to brew 19 litres. So I brew 24 or 25 litre batches, 19 litres of which goes into a Corny, the rest goes into bottles. Therefore I batch prime the whole lot, rather than fiddling around trying to get tiny amounts of sugar into each bottle. Of course, I have to stand the Corny in a warm'ish place to condition for several days, but that's ok. I then add gas to the Corny as necessary when drawing beer from it.

I always end up with few litres over after kegging but just put the extra into bottles along with 1/2 teaspoon of sugar (from a 1/2 teaspoon measure, not a teaspoon) through a funnel. It takes me a few minutes, I always get a consistent amount in and have never spilt a drop. I would think batch priming 25 litres for the sake of 4-5 bottles was much more of a faff.

Last edited:
I always end up with few litres over after kegging but just put the extra into bottles along with 1/2 teaspoon of sugar (from a teaspoon measure, not a teaspoon) through a funnel. It takes me a few minutes, I always get a consistent amount in and have never spilt a drop. I would think batch priming 25 litres for the sake of 4-5 bottles was much more of a faff.
What I do👍

Spunding would be best, krausening or priming second, force carbonation third.

I do add sugar to condition in the keg. I really dislike the fact that Cornies only hold five us gallons - just shy of 19 litres - when my brew length is over 25 litres with the Grainfather. It takes no more effort, and miniscule extra cost, to brew 25 litres than to brew 19 litres. So I brew 24 or 25 litre batches, 19 litres of which goes into a Corny, the rest goes into bottles. Therefore I batch prime the whole lot, rather than fiddling around trying to get tiny amounts of sugar into each bottle. Of course, I have to stand the Corny in a warm'ish place to condition for several days, but that's ok. I then add gas to the Corny as necessary when drawing beer from it.

9L Corni? I love my mini 9L kegs, great for splitting batches for friends etc.

Latest posts

Back