Corny keg questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone even posted a link to a helpful diagram explaining why to open it fully, as well as a helpful explanation. I'll see if I can find it.
Was it this thread on our US sister site? It seems plausible and since my cylinder (Adams Gas) didn't come with any explanation about how the internal threads work I open it all the way.

Was it this thread on our US sister site? It seems plausible and since my cylinder (Adams Gas) didn't come with any explanation about how the internal threads work I open it all the way.
That's the one @foxbat ! Thanks! I have now found your original link to it which is what I had recalled seeing (Corny keg question).
It looks like there is differing opinion on that thread too(the thread on the sister site). To be honest, it there is no good reson not to open it all the way, I think I'll just fully open it in case it is true.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the information and a few things to explore when I get a new refill but told next Friday for delivery. I spoke to Adams gas distributor and said it is possible it could leak up the valve stem but not actually had this proved. As said I did weigh before use and was full as it was the tare weight plus 6.35kg. I had the regulator set as per carb calculation at 0.95 bar but left it around 10PSI whilst on to serve I wish I turned it off in between now!

Interesting about the regulator as it has always read virtually zero throughout?? I see from Drunkula’s pic it is reading a supply pressure.

That diagram gives a great explanation of what could happen. That's never happened with my co2 bottle and the tank pressure guage doesn't drop even after months and months of the tap being closed again. Great to keep in mind, though.

Last edited:
What’s the likelihood of the beer in my keg going off If no CO2 supply and very little pressure in the corny. I can’t tell how much is left as I didn’t want to open it Weighing is an option but don’t know a 19L corny tare weight?

Is it worth ditching it for the partial mash American pale ale currently in my FV at day 4 as no CO2 until next Friday?

So you've kept it under pressure, been drinking it and now you're out of gas?

If the corny lid is still tight with some pressure in the corny then it'll last for ages. Weeks, months even.

When you get your next cylinder could you connect your regulator, set it to zero so no need to connect a line to it, turn the cylinder valve fully open and gaffer tape a bin bag around the top of the cylinder? This would prove if your regulator has a leak.

I have the ability to test atmospheric co2 down to ppm levels so may be able to use an analyser to “sniff” the leak. I’m just trying to rule out stupidity on my part! Im not convinced about the regulator especially the zinc bonnet to control the regulator.

Attachments

• A9DCD23F-EDD9-4E69-A1C5-D05F35B48333.jpeg
    A9DCD23F-EDD9-4E69-A1C5-D05F35B48333.jpeg
    17.8 KB · Views: 68
Tank regulator should definitely show something when connected. My first reg didn’t so I returned it as faulty.

Tank regulator should definitely show something when connected. My first reg didn’t so I returned it as faulty.
It was from brewuk as part of the corny package. I guess that could also be a potential cause of the leak.... Gutted as no beer till next week as i drank the bottles I used as left over from the racking into the corny!! Not buying beer out of pride lol

It was from brewuk as part of the corny package. I guess that could also be a potential cause of the leak.... Gutted as no beer till next week as i drank the bottles I used as left over from the racking into the corny!! Not buying beer out of pride lol
I bought the exact regulator in a package (from Brew UK) and the gauge on the left is always in the green.

Gutted as no beer till next week as i drank the bottles I used as left over from the racking into the corny!! Not buying beer out of pride lol
Aahh, I feel your pain! May have to use it as an excuse to support your local brewery and get a takeout for the weekend! 🍺

Definitely! Just can’t figure out where. I did leave the cylinder valve on after carbonation as it didn’t appear to drop pressure overnight when I s**t it off to check.
The most probable place to leak is where the gas goes on the regulator, either that or the keg posts. Get some inline john guest taps and put them just before the gas disconnects, they are also really handy when force carbing and saves installing a pesky manifold.

Latest posts

Back