Corny Keg Serving Pressure

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rigsby666

Reaction score
I've just moved to Corny's and now have my first brew in one. I am conditioning it in the corny so it was primed. I gave it a blanket of CO2 up to 20 psi to ensure everything sealed up after kegging, then disconnected the gas. I have periodically reconnected the gauges to read the pressure and initially after a couple of days had reduced from 20 psi to about 10 psi or maybe a little less. I checked it again yesterday and it has increased back to 20 psi (presumably from the priming and conditioning). However, as I approach the time to start drinking it, I wondering what pressure I should be aiming for serving? Anyone suggest an ideal pressure please? PS I did sample it and it tastes very nice but was very foamy.

I use mini kegs; I normally leave the pressure at 10psi but drop it for serving. If it's foamy, I dispense into a large jug and let the foam settle for a minute. Then I can fill a pint glass with as much or as little foam as desired. I leave the gas 'on' as the pressure will drop when the beer absorbs the CO2

Is it warm? That could cause the foaming... also the length of the line is really important too.. I have 2 metres of 3/16 line and keep it at about 12psi, but it is cold (kegerator set at 5C).
Also, not sure why you'd prime in the cornie? It is literally only a few pennies more to use CO2 and then you don't have to throw out the first or last couple of pints, so it works out cheaper in the long run to use gas.

Is it warm? That could cause the foaming... also the length of the line is really important too.. I have 2 metres of 3/16 line and keep it at about 12psi, but it is cold (kegerator set at 5C).
Also, not sure why you'd prime in the cornie? It is literally only a few pennies more to use CO2 and then you don't have to throw out the first or last couple of pints, so it works out cheaper in the long run to use gas.
Thank you, some good questions here.
Unfortunately, It is a little on the warm side, as I have yet to get a fridge big enough to get a corny in (I'm looking for one locally), so it's currently at room temp.
The Tap and line is a short 3/8 line adapted to 2 meters of 3/16 line and then back to another short 3/8 line, so just over 2m.
The priming thing is probably my naivety and old habits from previous use of plastic barrels, I just though if it conditioned with priming it would produce a better finished product maybe with a natural sparkle, but I am definitely hungry to listen to advice for cornys.
I think the foaming could then be down to being too warm, but any view about ideal serving pressure for when I sort the temp out? What psi should I be aiming for generally?

It's all dependent on the beer style but I tend to use this as my guide: Keg Carbonation Calculator - Brewer's Friend

For an English style ale in my fridge (about 6°C) I aim for 2.0 volumes of CO2 which leads to a carbonation / serving pressure of about 0.5bar / 8psi. As per others I use a length of 3/16 line to reduce the pressure when serving and also have flow control taps.

I was always of the view that it's not proper real ale if it isn't secondary fermented to naturally carbonate the beer but having Corny kegs has changed my mind, it removes the variability you get with secondary fermentation which often led to over or under carbonated beer, so now I can get the perfect level of sparkle for whatever it is I'm serving up. Little carbonation for English style beers, bit more for American styles / IPAs, highly carbonated for Weiss beers (though still a PITA to pour) and cider. Seems to taste pretty much the same to me naturally carbonated or force carbonated, just forget the nasty stuff they used to serve up from kegs in pubs in the 80s.

I'm not sure if it would work, but how about running your beer lines through a cooler box with ice in to try cooling it for now? I don't think you'll get a decent pour if it is warm.
I pretty much guarantee once you go to CO2 you'll never go back, so much easier, brighter and more consistent.

Just had a thought, (no It's ok I'm sitting down), did you let the pressure out using the PRV before pouring? there will be a lot of pressure in there from priming.

I'm not sure if it would work, but how about running your beer lines through a cooler box with ice in to try cooling it for now? I don't think you'll get a decent pour if it is warm.
I pretty much guarantee once you go to CO2 you'll never go back, so much easier, brighter and more consistent.
Might be worth a try. I think I just need to find a cheap fridge as a priority. I am definitely going to leave out the priming for the next keg and work on around 10-12 psi for serving.

...did you let the pressure out using the PRV before pouring? there will be a lot of pressure in there from priming.
No, I haven't released any pressure from the keg yet. That was kind of why I was trying to ascertain what the ideal serving pressure should be, so I could adjust it correctly when it is ready to drink. The priming seems to have increased it up to 20 psi currently, so if I have understood correctly, it looks like I would need to reduce it down to approx 10-12 psi for serving.

Thanks to everyone that has offered the great help and support on this thread for me. I really do appreciate everyone's time and advice.

I would suggest you drop the pressure in stages until you get the pour you want. If you dis

so if I have understood correctly, it looks like I would need to reduce it down to approx 10-12 psi for serving.
What I do and I'm not saying it's the correct way but it works for me is after force carbing I turn the C02 off, let the pressure out using the PRV, lower the C02 to what I think is going to be right then turn the C02 on and adjust to 12psi then have a cheeky beer just to prove it's working correctly athumb..

I would suggest you drop the pressure in stages until you get the pour you want. If you dispense into a jug, a shot at a time, you won't waste any beer.

Latest posts

Back