Corny Kegs - fitment and additions, where to buy

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bendeneo

Reaction score
Hi all,

I know there are a number of posts around Corny Kegs, but hopefully you don't mind me posting about the same/similar subject.

I have 2 Corny Kegs (can't remember where I got them from now, it was years ago, and then I stopped home brewing before using them), and am now brewing a bitter.

I want to use the corny kegs to store/dispense, and so realise I have a few things to buy, and wondered if forum members could suggest the best place to get them from:

1) Connects - Liquid and Gas
2) Output tap for dispensing
3) Gas connection i.e. Regulator
4) CO2 bottles - not sure I want the Sodastream ones as they sound harder (more expensive) to get refilled?

Any thoughts on any of the above would be greatly appreciated... and of course anything I have forgotten to mention, or haven't taken into account!

Regards,

I would suggest BrewKeg tap, they're good and reliable, you'll probably need some John Guest connector/reducers as well, I use Hobby Weld for my C02 bottle, not the cheapest but they'll probably have someone close to wherever you are.

Agree with the post above that BrewKegtap are always excellent on service and seem as competitive as any other.
Couple of thoughts...
  • Try and work out everything that you want first and buy in one go. Postage is often the killer, so try and package things up, even if its across a couple of sellers, so that you hit the minimum thresholds for free P&P.
  • Where are you located? You may be able to get more specific advice on where to get gas.
  • You are correct, don't go the sodastream route unless you want portability. The deposit on a sodastream bottle probably isn't far away from the deposit on a big bottle. I paid a £40 refundable deposit for mine and it's now £10 or £15/fill if I chose either a 5 lt or 10lt bottle. My first 5 lt lasted started at the beginning of July and changed it about 2 weeks ago. Probably dispensed and or primed a dozen kegs. You will use more gas than you think, as you will start using it as part of your cleaning process/transferring etc. It's so easy and cheap that you will find lots of ways to use it.
  • Do you have any final end set up in mind so that you can get some specific advice and ensure that you don't end up with any redundancy?
    eg I've go a single regulator but am now considering a double regulator as it gives more flexibility to dispense/charge kegs with different pressures. In retrospect I should have paid the extra £ in the first place.
    eg If you are just going to dispense directly from a tap attached to the keg then IMHO definitely get a flow control tap. If you are going to set up a kegerator or something with beer lines that give you some control over flow, then you could get away without them.

Thanks both, really appreciate the info and advice. Gas wise I have emailed a couple of places now after finding them via the HobbyWeld website, so thanks for that recommendation.

Good point on what set up I want.

Currently I have a 100ltr 3 pot kit that I bought from Powell many years ago, and the last time I brewed I spent forever filling the bottles etc, so this time around I want to simply fill 2 Cornys with the aim to probably keep one for myself, and see how long that will stay drinkable (keep it in the cool kitchen corner for now). The aim with the other is to take to my friends and probably drink it in one sitting (a gang of 5 of us get together each week).

So whilst I probably don't need something quite so flash as a Corny for when I am getting together with my friends (it will get drunk very quickly), I guess I might as well set both up the same way (for when I'm not feeling so generous!).

The flow control tap does sound like a good plan.

I do have a friend giving me two of the plastic kegs, one a pressure keg with a CO2 input on the top, and a simple dispenser at the bottom, and the other without a pressure input on the top... and so those could probably do what I need without such messing about, I do want to get the Cornys set up.

If the corny kegs are a few years old I’d replace all the seals on them. And honestly keeping a set of replacement seals around is always a good idea anyway.

I’d say the same for the pressure barrels. The rubber seals and valves on them perish after a few years and so are worth replacing.

Agree with the post above that BrewKegtap are always excellent on service and seem as competitive as any other.
Couple of thoughts...
  • Try and work out everything that you want first and buy in one go. Postage is often the killer, so try and package things up, even if its across a couple of sellers, so that you hit the minimum thresholds for free P&P.
  • Where are you located? You may be able to get more specific advice on where to get gas.
  • You are correct, don't go the sodastream route unless you want portability. The deposit on a sodastream bottle probably isn't far away from the deposit on a big bottle. I paid a £40 refundable deposit for mine and it's now £10 or £15/fill if I chose either a 5 lt or 10lt bottle. My first 5 lt lasted started at the beginning of July and changed it about 2 weeks ago. Probably dispensed and or primed a dozen kegs. You will use more gas than you think, as you will start using it as part of your cleaning process/transferring etc. It's so easy and cheap that you will find lots of ways to use it.
  • Do you have any final end set up in mind so that you can get some specific advice and ensure that you don't end up with any redundancy?
    eg I've go a single regulator but am now considering a double regulator as it gives more flexibility to dispense/charge kegs with different pressures. In retrospect I should have paid the extra £ in the first place.
    eg If you are just going to dispense directly from a tap attached to the keg then IMHO definitely get a flow control tap. If you are going to set up a kegerator or something with beer lines that give you some control over flow, then you could get away without them.
Hi David

Did you know that Pennine Gas in Etilley Heath supply pub size bottles of CO2 for £15 plus £20 deposit on the bottle

Hi OB,

I've been robbed! Call the cops!
I used Smithsons in Kidsgrove.
Not the end of the world though as its only the deposit.
Does Pennine do No2? Possibly looking to add a bottle for my stouts and porters?

I'm going to have to get you doing all my Christmas shopping!

Hi OB,

I've been robbed! Call the cops!
I used Smithsons in Kidsgrove.
Not the end of the world though as its only the deposit.
Does Pennine do No2? Possibly looking to add a bottle for my stouts and porters?

I'm going to have to get you doing all my Christmas shopping!
Hi David

Well I am a big chap with white hair and a white beard!

I think they do a range of gases for pubs etc

http://www.penninegas.com/pages/contact-us.html
Cheers

Thanks both, really appreciate the info and advice. Gas wise I have emailed a couple of places now after finding them via the HobbyWeld website, so thanks for that recommendation.

Good point on what set up I want.

Currently I have a 100ltr 3 pot kit that I bought from Powell many years ago, and the last time I brewed I spent forever filling the bottles etc, so this time around I want to simply fill 2 Cornys with the aim to probably keep one for myself, and see how long that will stay drinkable (keep it in the cool kitchen corner for now). The aim with the other is to take to my friends and probably drink it in one sitting (a gang of 5 of us get together each week).

So whilst I probably don't need something quite so flash as a Corny for when I am getting together with my friends (it will get drunk very quickly), I guess I might as well set both up the same way (for when I'm not feeling so generous!).

The flow control tap does sound like a good plan.

I do have a friend giving me two of the plastic kegs, one a pressure keg with a CO2 input on the top, and a simple dispenser at the bottom, and the other without a pressure input on the top... and so those could probably do what I need without such messing about, I do want to get the Cornys set up.

Corny kegs are like drugs.... once tried you will want another, then another....

Sounds like a simple set up for you.
Something like
Premium Ball lock disconnect Gas IN Barbed – BrewKegTap
or
Ball lock disconnect Gas in MFL with CHECK VALVE – BrewKegTap
and
John Guest Speedfit 3/8" BSP to 3/8" pushfit – BrewKegTap
3/8 OD Grey Gas line – BrewKegTap
Kegland Mk4 Beverage CO2 Regulator – BrewKegTap
(this regulator comes with its own speedfit for the regulator end)
Intertap Flow Control - Keg Mounted – BrewKegTap

That will give you everything you need to prime/dispense from one keg at a time, once you've got your cylinder.

One other suggestion. Don't make the gas line from the cylinder/regulator to the corny keg too short. The plastic tubing is cheap. I have about 2+ m on mine. Cylinders are quite heavy and the regulators stick out and are quite vulnerable. If you have the gas line too short then you can accidentally pull on the cylinder when moving your corny or disconnecting it.... especially when you've had a few!
Having the line longer gives you more options to lay the cylinder flat/out of the way and not fear toppling it over when busy at the corny keg end. You can always coil the gas line up if it gets in the way when back home.

I have one keg that does nothing but produce foam. any clues on what's wrong. have replaced all seals and checked for leeks

What do you mean by 'does nothing but produces foam'? Is that when you are dispensing? If so, how are you dispensing/what's your set up and how are you carbonating your beer in the keg?
Foaming when dispensing is normally a symptom when dispensing of over carbonating and/or not restricting the flow enough when dispensing - a bit like shaking a pop bottle then suddenly taking the lid off, you only get foam.

Seal problems tend to manifest themselves as gas leaks which means the gas disperses out of the keg and the contents go flat. This seems to be the opposite of your symptoms.

Just seems odd that you are saying it's only one keg?

Thanks David, have ordered as you suggested below.... looking forward to receiving the parts and seeing how it all works out!

Corny kegs are like drugs.... once tried you will want another, then another....

Sounds like a simple set up for you.
Something like
Premium Ball lock disconnect Gas IN Barbed – BrewKegTap
or
Ball lock disconnect Gas in MFL with CHECK VALVE – BrewKegTap
and
John Guest Speedfit 3/8" BSP to 3/8" pushfit – BrewKegTap
3/8 OD Grey Gas line – BrewKegTap
Kegland Mk4 Beverage CO2 Regulator – BrewKegTap
(this regulator comes with its own speedfit for the regulator end)
Intertap Flow Control - Keg Mounted – BrewKegTap

That will give you everything you need to prime/dispense from one keg at a time, once you've got your cylinder.

One other suggestion. Don't make the gas line from the cylinder/regulator to the corny keg too short. The plastic tubing is cheap. I have about 2+ m on mine. Cylinders are quite heavy and the regulators stick out and are quite vulnerable. If you have the gas line too short then you can accidentally pull on the cylinder when moving your corny or disconnecting it.... especially when you've had a few!
Having the line longer gives you more options to lay the cylinder flat/out of the way and not fear toppling it over when busy at the corny keg end. You can always coil the gas line up if it gets in the way when back home.

I’m sure it will be great. The regulator and the flow control tap are quality bits of kit.
Once you’ve pulled your own draught pint you’ll never want to go back to bottles.

When you carb up your keg make sure you read the various posts on the various processes/methods of gassing up your beer and also the tables that show you what storage/gas pressure combination will deliver you the beer you want at the temperature you want. The flow control tap will give you a lot of leeway on delivering the best pint, but it can’t add extra bubbles and there’s a limit to how slow you can pour your beer to avoid excessive carbonation/froth.

Latest posts

Back