correct use of campden tablets

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frasermitch

Reaction score
Hello,
I recently acquired some campden tabs for my brewing inventory but the bottle has poor instructions (actually none apart from wine making). I was planning on treating my water in 4 x 5l water bottles for my brew tomorrow but unsure how to use the correctly. Apologies i am sure this has been covered before.

Usually around a taplet for a 23 litre brew,but half a tablet in each of your bottles will not hurt. Crush the bits of tablets between a couple of spoons so its a powder and add it the night before you plan to use it

:nono: :nono: :nono: 1/2 a tablet treats ~10 UK Gallons . . . 1/2 a tablet per 5L is close on what the winemakers use . . . . More than enough to royally f**k up a batch of beer :roll: :evil:

It works more or less instantly :roll:

That told me !..... :D

Guess who's going to reduce his amount used next time...

thank you for the replies. I have done 3 brews before and never used the tablets so i will give it a go and see if there is a marked difference, so maybe quarter tablet per 5l bottle?

Frasermitch said:
thank you for the replies. I have done 3 brews before and never used the tablets so i will give it a go and see if there is a marked difference, so maybe quarter tablet per 5l bottle?
Dissolve 1 tablet in 100ml of water and put 10ml in each bottle

Done what you advised aleman, do you always treat your water? Also is it safe to treat water then use it in a brew say an hour later without it messing up the yeast? I have just sterilised my 5l water bottles then filled with tap water and added the 10ml (from on tab per 100ml) and they are ready for my brew tomorrow. Thanks again for the wisdom.

I dissolved half a tab in 23 litres, 30 minutes before using it to brew and it seems to be fermenting just fine :thumb:

Frasermitch said:
Do you always treat your water?
Pretty much . . . Except when I forget :oops: Although now that I prepare all the ingredients the night before brewing, it's much harder to forget . . . Until I see those little wraps of silver foil on the side of the mash tun and brew kettle :roll:

I use a water filter to remove chlorine/chloramine so don't need the campden tablet treatment, but I do treat my water to adjust the alkalinity, raise the calcium levels and get the balance of sulphate to chloride ions appropriate. There is little point trying to match a regional water profile as brewers rarely use the water directly 'as is'. As for the 'ideal mineral profile' for beers styles, as advocated by Murphys/brupaks, that is even less 'correct' as it is a 'one size fits all' approach, and peoples tastes and sensory perceptions vary.

Of course all water treatment, apart from the campden tablet, is only applicable to all grain brewing, for kits and extract brewing the only thing 'required' is to eliminate chlorine.

Frasermitch said:
Also is it safe to treat water then use it in a brew say an hour later without it messing up the yeast?
Yeah, no problem, as I said the campden tablet works pretty much instantly to disperse the chlorine, and once it's done that it's ready to use

THE_Liam said:
I dissolved half a tab in 23 litres, 30 minutes before using it to brew and it seems to be fermenting just fine :thumb:
It will do, remember that 1 campden tablet in 1Gallon is used by winemakers as an antifermentative. Using half that dose, as suggested by PD, is going to cause issues for the yeast . . . if you have to apportion a chemical in very low doses it is often easier to make up a solution and then to use that to dose at more appropriate rates. . . In All Grain and Extract brewing an excess of sulphite is not necessarily a problem (some authorities claim it is) as sulphite acts as an antioxidant in the mash and boil.

Back