Cost of brewing equipment and ingredients in the UK

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh and watch it if you import directly yourself! Got hit with that once myself when I bought a t-shirt from the US... £7 import duty, £15 handling fees added by the courier for having to deal with import duty..... On a £22 t-shirt......
Had similar with a pair of trainers when I was 19. Should have saved about £30 buying them from the States, but got stung with import duty, handling fees, storage fees etc. I didn’t end up saving anything.

I just don't order from the US now, unless it's from a company that includes import duty and processing in their shipping fees. It was a big company that didn't do things like false declarations.

Had a few things come from China with gift on the declaration though.... lol Most orders on AlliExpress come like that. Currently waiting for some film phone screen protectors from there that sell over here for 6 times the price for literally the same item....

I originally started home brewing in January this year to save money!!!!! Now done ten brews.
Moved from glass to PET bottles, then to mini kegs and now just setting a up a corny leg system. Oh and not to forget the brew fridge I just finished.
Cannot help myself from continually buying stuff because I have become rapidly obsessed with this very engaging activity.
Not sure how much money I have now spent, but in my new found daily stupor, I really don’t care.
I wished I started all this years ago instead of some of the more expensive past hobbies that are now collecting dust somewhere, never to be seen again.
I am hooked and really enjoying the learning curve. I am sure I will enjoy this hobby for years (as long as I can keep the wife away from the bank statements).
Eyeing up a Fermizilla now, so think I should get one before I get busted by the other half.

PS The help and advice on this forum has been invaluable and has stopped me making many mistakes. Thanks to all the really great contributors who make this forum so valuable and entertaining.

I originally started home brewing in January this year to save money!!!!! Now done ten brews.
Moved from glass to PET bottles, then to mini kegs and now just setting a up a corny leg system. Oh and not to forget the brew fridge I just finished.
Cannot help myself from continually buying stuff because I have become rapidly obsessed with this very engaging activity.
Not sure how much money I have now spent, but in my new found daily stupor, I really don’t care.
I wished I started all this years ago instead of some of the more expensive past hobbies that are now collecting dust somewhere, never to be seen again.
I am hooked and really enjoying the learning curve. I am sure I will enjoy this hobby for years (as long as I can keep the wife away from the bank statements).
Eyeing up a Fermizilla now, so think I should get one before I get busted by the other half.

PS The help and advice on this forum has been invaluable and has stopped me making many mistakes. Thanks to all the really great contributors who make this forum so valuable and entertaining.

What a great post ,really had me laughing :)

Chest freezer from Facebook marketplace for £30, no brand taps from eBay for £70, timber for the collar was £20 from a local merchant, gas was £45 and £5 refills, regulator was maybe £50, can't remember where from.

JG connectors and beer/gas line weren't that much, jubilee clips, wood stain, no more nails, silicone etc I had lying about in the garage.

It was probably more than £250 spent more I add it up, but nowhere near £500 unless I include the costs for all 7 of my kegs.

I'm thinking of doing just a two keg one with one of the kegerator build kits some website are selling, they're around £200. Seems fairly straight forward to just get a second hand fridge, put some holes in the door, and link everything up. What seems harder is making it look better than just an ugly old fridge with some chrome taps sticking out of the door.

I'm thinking of doing just a two keg one with one of the kegerator build kits some website are selling, they're around £200. Seems fairly straight forward to just get a second hand fridge, put some holes in the door, and link everything up. What seems harder is making it look better than just an ugly old fridge with some chrome taps sticking out of the door.

Painted mine with black chalk paint.

Latest posts

Back