Cost of the boil.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aye, Amazon prime delivery costs going up to get the free delivery that saves us hundreds/year. So we will just bite the bullet as it's still the most cost effective way to get many products to us. Good job I charge £5.00 per pint! :roll:

Solar thermal sitting at 62*C - nearly mashing temp 🌞🌞=:beer1:

☝️Delivery charge for online orders.
Isn't the same, you don't pay for the days you don't get a delivery. The equivalent is paying for amazon prime and then being charged for delivery again on top. Or having to pay a monthly subscription just to walk into Tesco.

Isn't the same, you don't pay for the days you don't get a delivery. The equivalent is paying for amazon prime and then being charged for delivery again on top. Or having to pay a monthly subscription just to walk into Tesco.
Or not buying any food from them but being there in case you did want to.

And council tax each month, or rent on our houses, even if we go away on holiday for a week or out for the afternoon.
No energy bill in February and March sounds good.

I'd be more than happy to pay pro rata for council services.

Last edited:
Sweet. Flat rate for energy, unlimited KWH. I'm in.
Yes me too, until I see the price! Actually thinking about it, I’d prefer if I could at least get a tariff with a different rate overnight or at weekends when demand is lower. Then a weekend brewday would be cheaper, or even an overnight mash….

A lot of university accommodation used to offer "all bills included" in their rent. My nephew turned the radiator off in his room and mined bitcoin for most of a year, with the landlord stumping up the electricity bill. I doubt any landlords will offer that now.

I can see energy bills becoming the new poll tax. None payment as a means of bringing change.
It's starting. I someone has set up Don'tPayUK and claim to have over 3000 organisers, with the aim of mass cancelling of direct debits on the 1st of October.

Sunday was my brew day, 75 minute mash, 20 minute mash out, 60 minute boil.

004.JPG

6.30 am kettle switched on for strike water, the next spike about 9.00 am, mash out the next spike about 10.00 am boil, the spike at about 1.00 pm heating for clean up.
The spike about 3.00 pm a 2.5 kg piece of roast topside goes in the oven. Cost to roast the topside $1. 47
cost of the boil 70 cents total cost of the brew from start to finish $1.73 bearing in mind that in that cost is all the other appliances on at that time, fridges freezers aircon and kettle a couple of times.

Last edited:
I can get a reasonable boil using just the 900W heater on my Klarstein Fullhorn by leaving a small gap with the lid.
Here's the picture so you can see what I mean.

Attachments

• IMG_20220828_131225.jpg
    IMG_20220828_131225.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 0
Being an IPA you can get away with 30 mins of 79C below the DMS precursor and enough to get hops enzymes. Also it's got no risk of infection so anyone worried about cost could do that. However it's not that much in the grand scheme of things.

Latest posts

Back