Cost of the boil.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Pennine
Interesting thing is that since I've been using a condenser hat on my boiler my boil off is at most 0.7 litres per hour, the SMM is much more volatile as I can smell it in the air and in the cooling water. Not had DMS problems with lagers or bitters but I expect good malts and at least a 60 minute boil gets rid of most of it and then it's up to the yeast.

If my smart meter is believed today's brew has cost less than 50p in gas. Will be 4x that post July though when my fix ends.

Well he didn't say he was a master brewer but he did say he brew commercially which as it says below may mean he has "a better insight than most of us"
I think he might have mentioned the master brewer thing in other videos, but I could be wrong.

What I would say is that I have brewed a total of 16 beers over a four year period, all of them all-grain. In this time I have brewed 3 David Heath recipes and they all turned out really good and much better than a lot of recipes that I got from elsewhere. So regardless of sponsorship, validity of things he's said or claims that he has made, in my opinion he gives out good quality recipes and advice, whether scientifically justified or not. As a still relatively new homebrewer compared to many on this forum I have found the advise he gives useful and the recipes that I have tried to be very good.

I've also gained a huge amount of advice and help from this forum and various other places online. Part of the wonderful world of homebrewing is the sharing of experience and advice, it helps new brewers massively. Its a shame that so many people can be so critical of others. If you don't like David Heaths, or anyone else's videos don't watch them.

Its a shame that so many people can be so critical of others. If you don't like David Heaths, or anyone else's videos don't watch them.
Surely, one has to view things critically in order to determine whether the advice is of any worth? Especially when they are presented in a discussion as evidence of something. Just as you would reading any other post.

I haven't found much of any use in the ones I've watched in that context, so don't watch them as a habit.

Last edited:
If my smart meter is believed today's brew has cost less than 50p in gas. Will be 4x that post July though when my fix ends.
The main expense seems to be hops. Just brewed a NEIPA ( once in a blue moon as a request by some friends) and I'm not used to using four or five hundred grams of hops in a beer. More higher alpha acid hops at the beginning of the boil is going to offset that 4x gas rise.

@Pennine
Interesting thing is that since I've been using a condenser hat on my boiler my boil off is at most 0.7 litres per hour, the SMM is much more volatile as I can smell it in the air and in the cooling water. Not had DMS problems with lagers or bitters but I expect good malts and at least a 60 minute boil gets rid of most of it and then it's up to the yeast.
Yeah that's good, I think Bamforth's big thing was a vigorous uncovered boil and you will not have any issues. I boil at elevation so I get a very vigorous boil at 94c. However according to that article the lower temps might require me to do a longer boil. I am wondering if that is the off flavour I have been noticing since moving here, I thought it was the water initially.

I am not sure if I have actually tasted DMS before though. I think the homebrew club will be doing an off flavour tasting soon so hopefully that will be one of the options.

Well my NEIPA double dry hopped is at risk of being a diacetyl bomb if I get a secondary ferment due to hop creep so I'm watching out. Second hopping at 14 celsius for 5 days and then a cold crash to drop the hops.
I'm planning on pitching onto the dry hop and residual yeast ( I've dropped most yeast out already) for a east coast pale ale.
Might be a disaster, we'll see.

@Pennine
According to my calculations you must be in the over mile high club. How long to soft boil an egg for you?
You are correct and that's a very good question I am a veg and haven't had an egg in a long while. Funny I never realized that is an issue too.

I've also gained a huge amount of advice and help from this forum and various other places online. Part of the wonderful world of homebrewing is the sharing of experience and advice, it helps new brewers massively. Its a shame that so many people can be so critical of others. If you don't like David Heaths, or anyone else's videos don't watch them.

Spot on and thanks for the feedback.

I think some of my beer was costing that much when I splurged on gear without the solar hot water. Luckily with beer prices going up that divisor is swinging in your favour.
Down here most pubs are on a 400ml glass which they call a pint, had a fresh hop " pint " of pale ale the other day in a bar 14 dollars so about 7 pounds for that, too cold and couldn't tell there were fresh hops in it. Crazy pricing as for 3 " pints " I can get a sack of malt.
Wow!
400ml? For 14 NZ Dollars? Sounds like a very trendy beard and walking sandals bar.
Isn't that breaking trades descriptions calling it a 'pint' ? That's not even a US pint (454ml) let alone an Imperial pint (568ml).
Don't you have any Weights and Measures laws on N Island?
Or is it that they are only specified for metric units, so 'pints' are unregulated?

I think he might have mentioned the master brewer thing in other videos, but I could be wrong.

What I would say is that I have brewed a total of 16 beers over a four year period, all of them all-grain. In this time I have brewed 3 David Heath recipes and they all turned out really good and much better than a lot of recipes that I got from elsewhere. So regardless of sponsorship, validity of things he's said or claims that he has made, in my opinion he gives out good quality recipes and advice, whether scientifically justified or not. As a still relatively new homebrewer compared to many on this forum I have found the advise he gives useful and the recipes that I have tried to be very good.

I haven’t said I don’t like his videos, I have only watched a couple they are very good for new brewers. It is when one branches out and starts to think critically that brings up some contentions. As a new brewer we are all impressionable so we believe what we read or see. But we have to also be aware there are some folk out there who will tell a few porkies to give themselves more credibility.

Wow!
400ml? For 14 NZ Dollars? Sounds like a very trendy beard and walking sandals bar.
Isn't that breaking trades descriptions calling it a 'pint' ? That's not even a US pint (454ml) let alone an Imperial pint (568ml).
Don't you have any Weights and Measures laws on N Island?
Or is it that they are only specified for metric units, so 'pints' are unregulated?
In my opinion it does break the trade descriptions act. But they seem to call all large "shaker " style glasses pints even though they arent.
Weirdly some places do have proper pint glasses but they are always dimple pint glasses which are a rarity in the UK now.
Real pints cost even more.
Regarding Beard and Walking sandals bars, the way they go on about craft beer here you'd think they invented it, much the same with Wellington coffee the best in the world. Neither their beer or coffee is the best. But any port in a storm.
Don't get me started on they are always serving the beer ice cold.

What do they have Crocodiles on Alderney?🐊
They've got 'em in Oxfordshire (apparently): Crocodiles Of The World

I'm a bit concerned about the Meerkat feed at 11:15... "gee I'm sorry Tabatha but your cuteness ratings are well down this month, and those crocs are getting mighty hungry..."

Screenshot 2022-05-03 at 11.28.57.png

Last edited:
It's really not a huge amount.unless you are brewing every other day. Assume you have a 2500w element running at full whack for two hours. That's 5kwh (about £1 for me at the moment, and will be about £1.35 after the rises). Obviously as a percentage, that's dreadful, but it's pretty negligible in the grand scheme of things. I'm not going to work out how much my ferm and keg fridge are costing me.

It's the standing charge where they are really gouging us.
Mine cost 1.60 at weekend Inc sparge boiler. I reckon to buy the amount I made and the quality it would be easily 100 quid to buy

I reckon to buy the amount I made and the quality it would be easily 100 quid to buy
I agree @Crappyfish . My recent brew cost me over £5 for gas and it was a West Coast IPA so had grain costs of £9.50, hop costs of £20.30 and yeast cost of £4 it still yields a beer all up cost of around £1 a pint. Around here I’d be paying around £6 a pint for a similar beer, £5 if it’s below 5% ABV. I make that a £160-£200 saving on a 40 pint batch. athumb..

Back