Cost per pint

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funnyday

Reaction score
Using a kit. It comes out at about 40-50 pence a pint. How much does your brew cost per pint? Is it substaionally cheaper going from a recipe instead of a kit?

Just depends what goes into it. Lets say for arguments sake you are doing 40 pints of a straightforward UK bitter - say about £4 for the pale (from a 25kg sack); Another couple of bowls full of speciality grains (crystal)/ adjuncts £1; Wilkos Yeast £2; 50g of EKG £1.50. That would put you at about 21p a pint.

On the other hand making an APA with a bigger grain bill; a load of US hops; a liquid yeast and Ashbeck water and that is a completely different kettle of wort.

Simple Brit beers and some sort of cascade pale ~15 to 20p a pint.

You've got to put in the hours, though. Kits are basically cup-a-soup, extract beers are a bag of soup veg and a stick blender, all grain is buying the veg and spices and chopping and cooking and going... ok, that's alright but I'll change it next time.

Yeah raw ingredients are cheap compared to buying beer. Especially in scotland where it is 50p per unit minimum price. But if you are brewing purely to save money I wouldn't, as it's a time sink like any other hobby and there are obviously equipment costs too. For me it's a nice benefit that it does save money in the long run, but it's not something I think too much about

Just for fun I thought I would take this to the extreme. I you bought enough for 250 40 pint brews so got micro brewery prices using 4kg pale malt and 40g of a cheap UK hop I get £600 1 ton of grain £80 10kg of hops £60 2kg protofloc £12 guesstimate of cheap thin bleach no water treatment and harvesting free yeast not including cost of water or electricity + VAT on it all comes out at 9.024 pence a pint

It works out at a case of 20 X 275ml bottles a day. Saying that. I've not had any Becks in 5 months. So not an alcoholic. I can take or leave beer.

It's £10 a case when on offer at Tescos. Like I said I can take it or leave it. If I am enjoying a good beer. Why not go for it. Happy days.

Doing a simple AG pseudo lager would be very cheap because basically it would be a SMaSH (single malt and Single hop). Making a basic euro lager like becks (which I know your interested in) would be pretty cheap.

If your not up to jumping into AG yet, I found this thread on the coopers forum that discusses making becks using kits

https://community.diybeer.com/topic/4011-becks-clone/

Just for fun I thought I would take this to the extreme. I you bought enough for 250 40 pint brews so got micro brewery prices using 4kg pale malt and 40g of a cheap UK hop I get £600 1 ton of grain £80 10kg of hops £60 2kg protofloc £12 guesstimate of cheap thin bleach no water treatment and harvesting free yeast not including cost of water or electricity + VAT on it all comes out at 9.024 pence a pint

You could make it even more 'extreme' by using a load of table sugar to make it even cheaper

Latest posts

Back