could be daft

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matty198111

Reaction score
im currently brewing a lager kit

its soon gonna be bottled

but someone said about bottle bombs which got me thinking

is it possible to add some stabilzer to stop the fermenting, if so could u still make it fizzy by adding sugar to the bottle.

and can u add campden tablets to get it to clear quicker

also are beer and wine hydrometers the same

mat

Hi Matty, you don't need stabiliser just wait until it's finished,, yes add 1/2 teaspoon of sugar per bottle to help carbonation,, no to campden tablets, let it clear before you bottle,, & yes, they are both the same. :thumb:

Cussword said:
Hi Matty, you don't need stabiliser just wait until it's finished,, yes add 1/2 teaspoon of sugar per bottle to help carbonation,, no to campden tablets, let it clear before you bottle,, & yes, they are both the same. :thumb:

ok mate thanks for that

i spoke to some home brew shop on the phone and they told me i needed a wine and beer hydrometer i did think it was a little strange

mat

A hydrometer will prevent you bottling too early and potentially having bottle bombs. You basically wait until final gravity is stable for a couple of days to ensure primary fermentation is over. You also need bottles suitable for bottle conditioned beer so that they can withstand the pressure.

If you use any kind of stabiliser it will kill the yeast and you will not get carbonation.

i hope these bottles i got are ok

i bought 40 of them

there are really thick beer bottles though

Back