Could craft beer change my mind for the normal brews I make!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
Sad but true...lying in bed and thinking about the punk IPA delivery today.
And got thinking can't wait to empty the keg of milk stout and put the IPA in....
For years n years dark beers with no hops at all has turned me into a bit of a freak st the shops at the craft section.
Lol...that bloody Brewbog IPA and other beers with more hops wasn't my intention to like....
First of all hated the bittering hops and Ines that overpowered with hops.
But more I tried, more I got tinkering with hops selection I got hooked!
Now thinking the stouts etc are a place of the past and a brew day be a good think to keep my hand in.
So many styles I want to try.
What style has changed 'your normal brews' and why?
Looking fwd to more experimenting with hops, and dry hopping.
Need to use my stocks.
Has the craft revolution that spouted that any one can show what they mind of...or is it too much?
There's some bottles should be on the shelfs! Just my opinion..but just getting through the standards to to the shelfs has made small time brewers into a living can't be bad..
Got to love homebrewing lol
Bri

I still love making a stout just as much as a hoppy pale that satisfying body, colour and malt flavour In a good stout is unbeatable in my opinion. Now's the time to get one on so it's got time to mature and on a cool autumn evening when you pour one with the amazing head I reckon you'll remember why loved those styles in the first place. There's a recipe for Dragon stout in the clone brews book that comes out at 6% and an amazing alcohol warmth that fits the body perfectly it's effing delicious in my opinion.

I still love making a stout just as much as a hoppy pale that satisfying body, colour and malt flavour In a good stout is unbeatable in my opinion. Now's the time to get one on so it's got time to mature and on a cool autumn evening when you pour one with the amazing head I reckon you'll remember why loved those styles in the first place. There's a recipe for Dragon stout in the clone brews book that comes out at 6% and an amazing alcohol warmth that fits the body perfectly it's effing delicious in my opinion.

Aye your right!
Even if it's took ova 30 odd years to look at craft ales as the style I like....AT THE MO! lol
Hmmmmm clone recipe book!! Never seen it...have you a link?
The Dragon stout sound lush! Love maturing stouts and dark beers.
Mind I've not done a Porter for ages..
Got plenty of bottles...
Your twisting my arm...(Clint, dutto etc lol) says IM EASY!! Haha!
Love to experiment...don't like stuck with the same old thing...homebrewing for me is all about trying...and I'm trying!!! Said before anyone else does lol
Humour is my friend...even if I sat in a hospital car park for an hour, p'ing down...got the wrong appointment time....dooo!
Lata pal apreciate your input.
Bri

Aye your right!
Even if it's took ova 30 odd years to look at craft ales as the style I like....AT THE MO! lol
Hmmmmm clone recipe book!! Never seen it...have you a link?
The Dragon stout sound lush! Love maturing stouts and dark beers.
Mind I've not done a Porter for ages..
Got plenty of bottles...
Your twisting my arm...(Clint, dutto etc lol) says IM EASY!! Haha!
Love to experiment...don't like stuck with the same old thing...homebrewing for me is all about trying...and I'm trying!!! Said before anyone else does lol
Humour is my friend...even if I sat in a hospital car park for an hour, p'ing down...got the wrong appointment time....dooo!
Lata pal apreciate your input.
Bri

Bri, this is the book http://amzn.to/2ul095u it's american so the recipes are all for 19 litres or 5 weird US gallons so you either end up with a corny keg amount or need to scale them in whatever software you use.
It's a good book I've made many a brew in there, got lots of hoppy craft beers as in it as well:lol:

I think my biggest "change" is that after many, many years of not drinking it, I now like Lager!

The Vienna Lager I've made tastes nothing like the gassy, ice-cold gnats-pee that they sell in pubs and suddenly I like it! :thumb:

PS

A US Gallon and a UK Gallon both contain eight pints but the difference is that a US Pint weighs 16oz whereas a UK Pint weighs 20oz.

As a result, a US Gallon weighs 8lb (3.63kg or 3.63 litres of water) and a UK Gallon weighs 10lb (4.55kg or 4.55 litres of water).

Hope this helps! :thumb:

Bri, this is the book http://amzn.to/2ul095u it's american so the recipes are all for 19 litres or 5 weird US gallons so you either end up with a corny keg amount or need to scale them in whatever software you use.
It's a good book I've made many a brew in there, got lots of hoppy craft beers as in it as well:lol:

had to find it away from amazon (robbing bastards)
thanks pal.
cant wait.
bri

I think my biggest "change" is that after many, many years of not drinking it, I now like Lager!

The Vienna Lager I've made tastes nothing like the gassy, ice-cold gnats-pee that they sell in pubs and suddenly I like it! :thumb:

PS

A US Gallon and a UK Gallon both contain eight pints but the difference is that a US Pint weighs 16oz whereas a UK Pint weighs 20oz.

As a result, a US Gallon weighs 8lb (3.63kg or 3.63 litres of water) and a UK Gallon weighs 10lb (4.55kg or 4.55 litres of water).

Hope this helps! :thumb:

ive just laughed out loud!! me, numbers, volumes arnt my strong point lol..
but I'm doing homework for the stuff I forgot...:doh:
bri

couldn't resist.....:smile:
r19fD4l.jpg

bri

There are loads of great "craft" stout / porter / black IPA recipes about. I did an export india porter (stronger than a usual porter, hopped like an IPA) a few months ago and it was bloody lovely!

Just brewed my first try at the shipyard Rye Pale Ale today with a mate from work as he is looking to move to AG as he thinks it's cheaper which it is.
Mashed the Rye in a the mashtun and boiled on the gas using my Burco for sparging.
Second brew was a Guinness clone using Amarillo hops for bittering and some at flameout.This was mashed in an old fermenter using some Voile as a bag then used the Burco for boiling.
He then decides it would be waste of grains although I normally do a second runnings but his idea was to add both grain bills from the Rye and Stout together in the mashtun.
So that done we thought about hops which we had Summit, mosaic,ahtunum,Citra, Amarillo, cascade and Magnum.
Summit and Magnum used for bittering then split them for 20,15,10 and through all seven in at 5 so that should be interesting.... experiments,where would we be without them...

Gerry

Just brewed my first try at the shipyard Rye Pale Ale today with a mate from work as he is looking to move to AG as he thinks it's cheaper which it is.
Mashed the Rye in a the mashtun and boiled on the gas using my Burco for sparging.
Second brew was a Guinness clone using Amarillo hops for bittering and some at flameout.This was mashed in an old fermenter using some Voile as a bag then used the Burco for boiling.
He then decides it would be waste of grains although I normally do a second runnings but his idea was to add both grain bills from the Rye and Stout together in the mashtun.
So that done we thought about hops which we had Summit, mosaic,ahtunum,Citra, Amarillo, cascade and Magnum.
Summit and Magnum used for bittering then split them for 20,15,10 and through all seven in at 5 so that should be interesting.... experiments,where would we be without them...

Gerry

Wow ya all going on there...
The hops looks emazing...
Btw I'm feeling a brewdog taste with all the beers I tried...the same..if you know what I mean...the 5am is the same but darker..
Experimenting is for winners..
Bri

Wow ya all going on there...
The hops looks emazing...
Btw I'm feeling a brewdog taste with all the beers I tried...the same..if you know what I mean...the 5am is the same but darker..
Experimenting is for winners..
Bri
Most certainly though you may get a few crappers before a good one but that's certainly worth it in my book...
Enjoy the Dog.....[emoji190]

Gerry

Most certainly though you may get a few crappers before a good one but that's certainly worth it in my book...
Enjoy the Dog.....[emoji190]

Gerry

have made a sour beer?
one thing I meant to try....but never got round to it.
I might try the third one...look at me.....3 bottles lol be keeling ova:lol:
cant remember a hangover, (due to memory loss) the most ive had was 4 cans of stella in a all day party....
love the taste mind of alcohol....:whistle:
but medication and drink don't mix....so I don't take my meds....im still here..:doh:
catch you later Gerry
bri

have made a sour beer?
one thing I meant to try....but never got round to it.
I might try the third one...look at me.....3 bottles lol be keeling ova[emoji38]
cant remember a hangover, (due to memory loss) the most ive had was 4 cans of stella in a all day party....
love the taste mind of alcohol....:whistle:
but medication and drink don't mix....so I don't take my meds....im still here..:doh:
catch you later Gerry
bri
Enjoy Bri.....

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Remember I tried that bellhaven twisted grapefruit IPA...the BD elvis juice blows it away...
Think I know what type I like tangy, citrus type...this is put a cat amongst the pigeon!!
Punk IPA might get binned for now!! Grapefruit IPA....me likes..now have look how to do it...
But like all my brews chop n change like the weather
Bri

Don't want to say I told you so but...
Elvis Juice and Hop Fiction are my favourite Brewdog brews. I think HF is a seasonal brew for springtime.
I also like Trashy Blonde but they don't currently brew that one.

I'm conditioning this one at the moment Bri,

Brewdog Hunter Foundation Pale Ale :

4.3kg Maris otter
0.8kg Munich Malt

10g Amarillo 60min
15g Simcoe 60 min
25g Amarillo - whirlpool
20g Citra - whirlpool

US-05

Mashed at 63c for 75 mins.

Tasted it as it went in to the keg and its an obscenely nice session beer thats not too hoppy but far from bland.

Don't want to say I told you so but...
Elvis Juice and Hop Fiction are my favourite Brewdog brews. I think HF is a seasonal brew for springtime.
I also like Trashy Blonde but they don't currently brew that one.

Your damned right, I hope they do HF all year as id drink it any time and the Elvis Juice is amazing.

Or you could stick with the dark beers and do hoppy stuff to them. Just because IPAs are in vogue doesn't mean you can't do the same stuff to other beer styles; I had a lovely pint of a hopped up stout in a pub the other day. Can't remember what it was called but I was sufficiently impressed that I've put a batch of a basic stout recipe on so I can try that out.

Plus I have a fridge full of bottled lager that I dry hopped to bits which has turned out fabulous. Tried Elvis Juice for the first time this weekend so now I'm looking for grapefruit zest to pimp up the lager I have conditioning right now. I reckon that a lager can be just as good a base for experimentation as IPA.

There's no need to change everything at once, evolution not revolution and all that.

Latest posts

Back