Could FG be 1020?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winelight

Mild man
Reaction score
I made a brew using:

Mild kit (1.7Kg)
One-half Old Ale kit (1.5Kg)
500g dark DME
500g wheat DME
340g LME

Didn't measure the OG... it's been a while now and it's at 1020 and no sweetness in taste... yes I know, check again tomorrow and the day after, but I was just wondering, could 1020 FG be remotely possible?

When I've used dark DME I've had brews get stuck at 1020 before. Not sure why but it does happen.

Both tasted alright in the end but it's probably not ideal.

How big is the batch? That's quite a lot of malt for 23l isn't it? what ABV are you hoping for?

I think it's about 21l. Yes I made an error, it wasn't supposed to be that much malt. No specific ABV, just "high".

Just for your information... checked today and now it's down to 1014, so will leave it another couple of days before dropping the temp.

I made a Brewferm with dark DME and that stuck at 1020 for a few days too. Gave it a bit of a swirl and warm up and it moved off again but only settled at 1016 and wouldn't budge from there.

I bottled it about a 2 months ago and even though it's a Breferm and everyone reckons it'll need more time - it's a lovely drink and carbonated perfectl with no bombs or obvious problems from finishing high.

I did an extract stout with steeped grains before Xmas that finished at 1020. SG was about 1050. Had a fair bit of crystal malt in it. Bottles carbed no problem and not over carbed suggesting that it really had finished at 1020 rather than getting stuck. I put the high gravity down to the crystal malt in the end.... Something similar might be happening with yours.

I've bottled higher than that before (mainly because the yeast gave out) but you will have residual sweetness.
1014 sounds much better :)

I have an oatmeal coffee stout that should have been 1.060/1.011, but ended up 1.054/1.018.

I did a fair job at maintaining a partial mash temp between 150-160* F, and mashed a little longer than 60 mins, but I went to the hospital and so SWMBO had to maintain the fermentation temp for me. She allowed it to get up to 70-72*, and so I instructed her to use more frozen water bottles to the swamp cooler, and I'm thinking the yeast dropped out.

I did allow it to warm up to 70* and added a little sugar and gave the trub a gentle stir to hopefully get it kicked back into gear, and it did eat those sugars, but it didn't finish the beer for some reason.

Now it's sickly sweet, and unbearable. I've tried mixing it with commercial stouts, but it just doesn't do a good job, and that's with mixing it one with one. I've been thinking of brewing up some strong Colombian coffee and cooling it and trying that. I hate to pour out so much beer (6 gals).

Interesting, thanks for all the comments. Nothing much seems to be happening to it now so I will drop to 5C for a few days then bottle.

Yes, St Albans has a fantastic selection of pubs, but I happen to live about 20 metres from a bar (it may not even be that far, I've never measured it!) so rarely go to the pub.

LOL Rodwha, I think mine finished at 1035 and I drank it, but my teeth fell out afterwards :)

Latest posts

Back