Couple of newbie questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daddynoob

Reaction score
1. Can I ferment in a PB
2 what are the co2 used for on a PB
3 flat lager in Pb why ( batch primed just added sugar and left for 2 weeks
Did not boil just added straight to PB after fermented

1. Can’t see why not you just have to decide how you’re going to regulate the pressure (assuming you’ll have the top fitted).
2. The CO2 is added as the beer is dispensed from the PB. This helps with the pour and also stops air (oxygen) from entering the PB and spoiling your beer.
3. Don’t know. PBs not good for highly carbonated beers like larger. I don’t brew lagers so my experience is zero on this one. Sorry.

Question 3

In my experience I used to make Woodfordes wherry and put it in the barrel. I never added Co2 but my brews did go flat over time. I think I have seen threads on here about how the safety valves are not great for keeping in the pressure i.e. the barrels are not as gas tight as you may think.

Ive been bottling my beers and recently there have been many threads and discussions about carbonation. The gist seems once primed you need to leave in a warm place for at least 2 weeks circa 20 deg C. Then you can drop down to garage temp. Seems like the full fizz may take more like 6 weeks from priming.

This seems to be about right from my first bottled AG brew. I thought I had under primed as the first ones were a bit flat but by the time Id finished the last of the 40 bottles they were pretty perfect.

So you may have to wait but your barrel might be leaking at the same time!

buddsy

Cheers for that
I thought it was my batch priming process that was making them flat
Also I think it might be the temp cos done in the shed so not hitting temp
But left it for 4 was to ferment
Then 2-3 weeks carbonation

might try fermenting in the Pb after I invest in a heat belt

Latest posts

Back