Couple of questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had high hopes for a very small batch of Pamplemousse (grapefruit) beer. Anyway opened a couple of bottles last night; the first one was perfectly carbonated, the second one was as flat as a pancake so I decided to open a third bottle and it was a bottle bomb 😯. The other annoying thing was - the taste. As I said I had high hopes for this beer, it was brewed with the juice of a pink grapefruit and the skin of the grapefruit put in at flame out and it smelt amazing when I bottled it. It tasted OK but no taste of grapefruit, what has happened folks, any answers will be gratefully received. I attach a photo of the beer that was OK.
20210205_162242_resized.jpg

A tsp of sugar was added to each 500ml bottle and they were kept at 20°C for 2 days and left for another 7 days. They were put in the fridge for a day before drinking.
Two days is not long enough for secondary fermentation to happen - more like two weeks is needed

I usually let my beer condition for 5 or 6 weeks to allow the flavour to develop properly

A bit simplistic, perhaps, but it sounds as if you primed the first bottle correctly, missed the second and put a double charge in the third.
A teaspoon is about 4½ grams maybe more if it's a heaped tsp. That's a bit too much. I'd aim for about 3g per 50cl bottle.

Two days is not long enough for secondary fermentation to happen - more like two weeks is needed

I usually let my beer condition for 5 or 6 weeks to allow the flavour to develop properly

OK thanks for that, just thought it would be better drunk relatively fresh to preserve the flavour of the grapefruit- how wrong I was 🙄

A bit simplistic, perhaps, but it sounds as if you primed the first bottle correctly, missed the second and put a double charge in the third.
A teaspoon is about 4½ grams maybe more if it's a heaped tsp. That's a bit too much. I'd aim for about 3g per 50cl bottle.
As soon as I read the OP this seemed the logical answer

Back