Coupling Question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andysmok

Reaction score
What is your method of coupling hoses from and to your pumps,
I am just in the process of building Vossys style of vessels and has come to the time of ordering my fixtures of the boilers and mash tun. I have orded those 3 peice 1/2 ball valves from BES and i snatched some silicon tubing which Vossy sold me via this web site, size which 12.7mm internal diameter, and 19mm external diameter.
These look ok i supose http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-2-15mm-BSP-STAI ... 1c0d0022cd but it will be a pain it the ass swaping and changing pathways, I'd much prefer to have something which can just be clipped on and off without using a screwdriver. All advise welcome

but it will be a pain it the ass swaping and changing pathways, I'd much prefer to have something which can just be clipped on and off without using a screwdriver.

I use these nice and cheap and ultra reliable. Camlock fittings are also good, and when made of brass can be cheaper that the cpc fittings. Have a good nosy around here for some ideas :thumb:
I particularly like these They can be found cheaper in one of the links above but I can't remember which one :roll:

That company sells the stainless steel coupling very cheaply, but says only levers are 316, I bought mine from KIOWA they are more expensive but just look at the pictures, the quality speaks for itself as does the fact they are fully 316.

I suppose I just wanted the best, I also had the extra cash at the time to throw at it, you could get the plastic, brass or aluminium ones

Just to be completely clear about my post above. I particuarly like camlock fittings, not necessarily the ones supplied by U.K pumps. They do say the fittings are stainless and the levers 316. With regards to stainless 316, I also like 316, but would like to point out that 304 is just as good for homebrew purposes, as is 201, and both the latter are likely to be cheaper than 316.

suppose I just wanted the best, I also had the extra cash at the time to throw at it, you could get the plastic, brass or aluminium ones
I am also very likely to do the same, getting the 316 versions :thumb:
Aleman has a good link to well priced 316 jobbies, but I can't lay my hands on it at present.

Thanks guys for the options. Plolix's 316 type seem to realy look the part, I think I'll be ordering a few of these. I'm a little dim when it comes to this type of thing and just need to know if i just order say this;
http://www.kiowa.co.uk/Products/Hose_Co ... pling.html
or do i also need to order something for it to connect to. Sorry about the questions!

Sorry about the questions!
Don't be that's what we're here for :thumb:

You'll need male and female connectors, so maybe part f for the ball valves, and part c for the hose.

It's up to you which type of parts you use for what, ie, male or female for hose or ball valve.
Typically female are used for hose.

Hope that helps :thumb:

The supplier I will use for my camlock fittings is IntricoPart B for the Ball Valves and Part E For the hose, and I think Part D for the pumps.

Thanks lads I've got my head around it now. Aleman's site seems a little cheaper but all in all this will be quite a costly set of accessories.
If i was to go with Alemans idea i think I'll need:

3 part B http://www.intricoproducts.com/catalogu ... partb.html @ £17.94, for my 3 vessels with 1/2" ball valves
2 part D http://www.intricoproducts.com/catalogu ... partd.html @ £10.96, for my pump
4 part E http://www.intricoproducts.com/catalogu ... parte.html @ £12.40, for my hoses

Total £41.30 plus delivery.

Hmmmm, I think I may hold back for the time being until i have my new brewery set up and the decide if I'll be using flexible hoses in the long term. I am only gathering together equipment at the mo so I could probably put that kind of money to buying a Temp controller for my HLT instead which would be a bit more practical. I am glad i understand more on the subject though.

It is a great help us novices these kind of web sites, without the help of more experienced craft brewers we wouldn't stand a chance of progressing.

jamesb said:
Aleman said:
You can specify which threading you want when you order . . . they do all three . . . . :roll:
Do they make them to order, or supply ex-stock?
All the ones I want have been ex stock, I ring them with my order and then drive over to pick them up

I spent a small fortune on quick releases, but got up of the mess each time i disconected one so am now fully hard plumbed! Simples!
:cheers:
Steve

I use these for any hosing that needs moving, they are watertight by hand tighten alone, very fast and a fraction the cost of quick disconnects, especially when your talkin 3/4" fittings
Clicky

Here is a pic of my tun outlet, it is just connected to drain line there, the blue is the food grade stuff

Fittingsforcleaning.jpg

Bru

Latest posts

Back