Courage 1977 Silver Jubilee Ale (yeast)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyQul

Chairman of the Bored
Reaction score
I've just opened the bottle of Courage 1977 Silver Jubilee Ale that I won on ebay a couple of months ago as a job lot of 9 silver jubilee ales.

I'm hoping theres some Courage yeast in there. Im going to treat the yeast with kid gloves, seeing as this it's nearly as old as I am, and put the dregs from the bottle into 100ml of 1.020 of starter.Then I'llstep up to another 100ml of 1.020 and go from there if I see any activity.

According to the Barclay Perkins blog Timothy Taylor got their yeast from Courage. I've used WYeast 1469 (which is supposed to be the TT strain) and it's really nice. So hopefully I'll get something similar

And what does 40 odd year old beer taste like. Horrible. It tasted like the worst HB cock up ever. A mixed between beer full of fusil alcohol and oxiginated beer (that kind of raisin flavour you can get)

Last edited:
Fascinating to know what Beer of that age would taste like. I guess it doesn't keep then.
I am more intrigued with the yeast quest.
Does this mean you can extract yeast from "commercial" beer and use it in your own brews?

Fascinating to know what Beer of that age would taste like. I guess it doesn't keep then.
I am more intrigued with the yeast quest.
Does this mean you can extract yeast from "commercial" beer and use it in your own brews?
Apparently the Bass brewery moved premises a while ago and the cellars of the old place had bottles of just about everything they'd made since the times of Dickens. Some where tasted, lots totally undrinkable but some had aged incredibly well.

Well, Im cautiously optomistic. There seems to be about an inch krausen on the starter. I cant see any yeast though or detect any off-gassing when I shake the bottle the starter is in. But this is understandable, as there must only be a miniscule amount of yeast in a very weak and small amount of starter wort. Ill add another 100ml of 1.020 wort on Sunday

Over the course of the day the krausen seems to have gotten thicker and fuller. Im now convinced the bottle contained yeast. So much so Im going to skip a step up step and put what I have into 200ml of 1.040 wort on sunday instead of 100ml of 1.020

Last edited:
I'll be watching this thread with interest as it's something that's on my ''to do" list to try.

I was looking on ebay and there's a bottle of Courage jubilee ale available you might want to keep an eye on if my experiment proves success full. The ind coope jubilee ale definately has yeast in it as I have a bottle and you can see it in the bottom

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silver-Jubille-Ale-Collectable-Elizabeth-II-1977-unopened-Bottle-Courage-Brewery/142922130492?_trkparms=aid=444000&algo=SOI.DEFAULT&ao=1&asc=20170221122447&meid=94116835e49b460ead06e7f3b300ff96&pid=100752&rk=1&rkt=5&sd=142918923498&itm=142922130492&_trksid=p2047675.c100752.m1982

Latest posts

Back