Courage Best (Muntons) Brew Kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moe The Bartender

Reaction score
Hi Brewers,

I’ve got a Muntons Courage Best Bitter kit to brew as I hear they are decent and I quite fancy a trip down memory lane.

Having brewed quite a few kits with success, the instructions on this one seem to differ from all the kits I have brewed in the past. It’s also different from the other Muntons I have done.

It says “ After 5 days or when the gravity is below 1.014, syphon the beer into a fermenting bin…… add 100g sugar to help condition the beer and stand for 3 days. After 3 days bottle or keg”.

i know there are different methods out there, I tend to follow the advice on this forum with the 2 - 2 - 2 method. I add the sugar when I bottle. The above method seems to allow the carbonation in the secondary fermentor for 3 days and then bottle??

Every beer is different, your thoughts ?

Cheers,
Moe

Not heard of a kit like that (but I only brewed a few kits). I assuming by bottling the beer while it is 'live' you will take more yeast into the bottle, giving it a deeper yeast flavour?

Hi Brewers,

I’ve got a Muntons Courage Best Bitter kit to brew as I hear they are decent and I quite fancy a trip down memory lane.

Having brewed quite a few kits with success, the instructions on this one seem to differ from all the kits I have brewed in the past. It’s also different from the other Muntons I have done.

It says “ After 5 days or when the gravity is below 1.014, syphon the beer into a fermenting bin…… add 100g sugar to help condition the beer and stand for 3 days. After 3 days bottle or keg”.

i know there are different methods out there, I tend to follow the advice on this forum with the 2 - 2 - 2 method. I add the sugar when I bottle. The above method seems to allow the carbonation in the secondary fermentor for 3 days and then bottle??

Every beer is different, your thoughts ?

Cheers,
Moe
I doubt this is for carbonation, it’s to give the remaining yeast a boost to clean up the brew and get to the final gravity? Prime bottles as normal to achieve carb. I would give them a nudge, from memory their instructions are not the clearest! Three days seems a tad short also, I’d give it at least a week. I think they are discontinuing these kits.

Last edited:
Looks to me like the instructions are a bit muddled, I would stick to your normal method as 5 days seems a little short for me and can not understand the reasoning of adding what is a small amount of sugar(what seems to be a carbonation amount).
I would just do your 2+2+2 or thereabouts

Perhaps they are combining a short secondary fermentation with a batch prime? never come across this method, residual sugar forming carb once sealed and bottled.

Hi HSD it seems a very too well thought out method for a kit :laugh8:but who knows you may be right as it does make sense but 5 days initial with a 3 day batch prime you would think it has not cleaned up properly and there may be a lot of bottle sediment?

Hi HSD it seems a very too well thought out method for a kit :laugh8:but who knows you may be right as it does make sense but 5 days initial with a 3 day batch prime you would think it has not cleaned up properly and there may be a lot of bottle sediment?
Yes sounds very odd, I haven’t done this kit and now mostly small batch AG, though it was one of my Dads favourite pints, does seem short on all accounts, 2+2+2 and you can’t go too far wrong with kits once OG is down, always something to learn be very interested in members views on this, hope it’s a good brew Moe.

Just fermenting my last Courage Directors kit as I brought a few when they announced they had finished doing them. That kit has always had that same instructions but I have just done the normal 2+2+2 and its always been the best kit I have ever done!

Latest posts

Back