Covid -19 has risen "significantly".

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, what it means is that if the government routinely got susceptible people tested for Vitamin D deficiency and treated, they could have less people in icu, regardless of vaccine status. Whether someone decides to take the vaccine or not is going down a completely different rabbit hole.

What the science deniers will have you believe that Vitamin D is inherently good for you, and the more of it you take the merrier

The doctor in the video says those of us who do not get much sun will benefit from taking vitamin D and a high dose is beneficial especially for those who were not going out at all due to covid, I imagine most of us in the UK have a deficiency due to the fact we don't get out in the sun much and as he says darker skinned people need it more.

Last edited:
No, what it means is that if the government routinely got susceptible people tested for Vitamin D deficiency and treated, they could have less people in icu, regardless of vaccine status. Whether someone decides to take the vaccine or not is going down a completely different rabbit hole.
You're moving the goalposts. There’s no rational argument against getting vaccinated. If you’re worried about your Vitamin D status take a supplement or go outside, or even better both.
The doctor in the video says those of us who do not get much sun will benefit from raking vitamin D and a high dose is beneficial especially for those who were not going out at all due to covid, I imagine most of us in the UK have a deficiency due to the fact we don't get out in the sun much and as he says darker skinned people need it more.
Yes, as I’ve said above. Even a pasty celt like me who loves the outdoors should really be taking some in the winter months. In safe and effective doses that is, and not by the metric **** tonne just for the sake of it.

Vitamin D is cheap so I don’t understand why they didn’t offer it at a higher dose than 400iu to the elderly etc, it might have kept more out of hospital. I remember my mum couldn’t take it though as she was on blood thinners so it’s always as well to check.
Didn't know that was the case. Which ones does she take?

I posted this before but worth doing again seeing there is a lot of talk about vitamin d.

A good few years ago I was cycling with the maddison genesis racing team. Their nutritional partner of the time came and gave a big talk on all things nutrition and their products. The talk was led by the owner, a well know scientist and the talk moved onto vitamin d. He said that vitamin d was thr most important vitamin that we should be taking and that people living in the UK won't get enough from the sun because of our poor weather.

This Weekend is the first Tiree Music Festival since Covid. We usually teach juggling and enjoy the great range of bands. This year we see it as a local super spreader event. Not going near. In the Coop this afternoon it was Vbusy I sanitised my trolley and wore my mask. I was the only one. I'm immunosuppressed. we will be careful.

People have such short memories and don't understand the sacrifices others made to get us here,,,,,,,,

Vaccination scepticism aside... I have a question.

I understand there's a correlation between low Vitamin D levels and health issues, but has anyone managed to show (or even hypothesise) why?

In my mind the correlation could be as simple as people that are stuck inside all day are not going to get much Vitamin D, but they're also unlikely to be doing much activity, if any. That would mean low Vitamin D levels are more of an indicator of bad outcomes than a cause, and supplementing it might only have a minor effect.

I understand there's a correlation between low Vitamin D levels and health issues, but has anyone managed to show (or even hypothesise) why?
From what I've heard vitamin D is important in the immune system. Most people in the UK have below optimal levels of vitD - people of colour especially so. I think in the early days of covid it was hypothesised that this might be a contributory factor in the high death rate of doctors in this group.

Vaccination scepticism aside... I have a question.

In my mind the correlation could be as simple as people that are stuck inside all day are not going to get much Vitamin D, but they're also unlikely to be doing much activity, if any. That would mean low Vitamin D levels are more of an indicator of bad outcomes than a cause, and supplementing it might only have a minor effect.
We are staying further away from my area of expertise, but in simple terms (or at least simple enough that I can understand), Vitamin D has numerous effects on a number of the major player cells in the immune. These effects are largely immunosuppressant, dampening down the pro-inflammatory response to infection/trauma/illness by a number of routes.

Vitamin D deficiency is associated with an increased incidence of auto-immune disease where an over active immune system turns its focus inappropriately on host antigens due to under activity of important immune regulatory pathways.
Sepsis, organ failure and ultimately immune collapse is the common pathway leading to death in response to major trauma, surgical complications or overwhelming infection and it’s the imbalance between pro- and anti- -inflammatory factors that pushes the unlucky patient away from repair and recovery instead.

You make an excellent point as well. Why would someone be stuck inside all day? Most likely because they are shielding and have serious concomitant significant health issues. These issues will all have their own impact on the biological reserve to combat any sort of illness and are compounding factors. I suppose the message is optimise what you can; get your BMI down under 30, don’t smoke, exercise within your limits to maximise cardio-respiratory reserve and pay attention to all aspects of your diet, not just one vitamin. They are all vital, by definition.

Last edited:
From what I've heard vitamin D is important in the immune system. Most people in the UK have below optimal levels of vitD - people of colour especially so. I think in the early days of covid it was hypothesised that this might be a contributory factor in the high death rate of doctors in this group.
It’s also probably worth stressing that in very high doses it can cause serious health issues. This is of course a problem with any supplement.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitamins-and-minerals/vitamin-d/

Didn't know that was the case. Which ones does she take?
She couldn’t take any as she was on warfarin which is an anticoagulant. Vitamin D has also shown to have an anticoagulant effect as well so always best to check with doctor if in doubt.

She couldn’t take any as she was on warfarin which is an anticoagulant. Vitamin D has also shown to have an anticoagulant effect as well so always best to check with doctor if in doubt.

That's not true. I think you're confusing the interaction between vitamin K and warfarin (Vitamin K antagonist). That's why anticoagulant team will advise those on Warfarin should avoid leafy greens. DOACs are less restrictive.

That's not true. I think you're confusing the interaction between vitamin K and warfarin (Vitamin K antagonist). That's why anticoagulant team will advise those on Warfarin should avoid leafy greens. DOACs are less restrictive.
Only going off what the doctor told her. She never discussed vitamin K.

Back