Covid-19 the second wave.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it’s low IQ Covid bed wetters, who do not have the cognitive ability to process the information being given by the government, media etc. So they go into headless chicken mode and do the only thing that gives them some kind of control of the situation.
Obviously it’s a futile exercise and down right greedy and self centred.

Last edited:
There could be food shortages, beer shortages and everything else shortages. What's the obsession with bogrolls? I used to think it was funny, but if push comes to shove, you can wipe your bum on a flannel and then wash it. What is it with boggies?

Exactly. Or jump in the shower and hose yourself down. There are many many things I couldn't live without, and not roll doesn't come close to featuring.

I just did some maths and thought I may as well share. I am assuming there is a direct correlation between hospital admissions and cases, I realise there are reasons this may not be the case. I used data from Coronavirus (COVID-19) in the UK for dates from 13/3/20 to 22/9/20 as its the range that has all the data also using data for England only not UK. What I found was the ratio of hospital admissions to positive tests was in March 1.38 April 2.1 May 2.95 June 2.69 July 6.02 August 18.28 September 19.85. Using this I worked out that if we had been testing at the rate we are in September all the time we would have just over 2.3 million cases confirmed which would be 4.15% of the population from that you could guesstimate how many cases the are undetected and get the total no of cases so if you think we are currently catching 1 in 5 cases 20.74% of people have had it or 1 in 10 would be 41.48%.

There's grain in Carling????!!!!
Greg Wallace (who I personally do not have much time for) did an interesting programme a couple of years back on Coors Burton brewery where Carling is brewed and it was really interesting to find out how large scale modern breweries operate, including an aspect of malt production and milling to optimise the yield. But the vid is no longer available on iPlayer, and in any case you may not be able to have viewed it given where you are.
However, this is a poor mans substitute

There could be food shortages, beer shortages and everything else shortages. What's the obsession with bogrolls? I used to think it was funny, but if push comes to shove, you can wipe your bum on a flannel and then wash it. What is it with boggies?
Reminds me of Terry nappies years ago and if they were really bad they got a steeping in an old bucket 😂

We went to Tesco earlier to get essential supplies (mainly my beer for the weekend and some snacks) and SWMBO couldn't believe that some of the shelves were stripped bare, i watched numerous people go past with trolleys full of bog rolls and the trouble is its making the sensible amongst us wonder if we need to stock up before things run out again. aheadbutt

Hand sanitiser was also low, she didn't buy any as we already have plenty (i always have a stock as i don't like eating in my cab after delivering unless i have used some)

We bought our usual amount of bog roll as has been said if we run out there are plenty of so called news papers that will do the job.

We went to Tesco earlier to get essential supplies (mainly my beer for the weekend and some snacks) and SWMBO couldn't believe that some of the shelves were stripped bare, i watched numerous people go past with trolleys full of bog rolls and the trouble is its making the sensible amongst us wonder if we need to stock up before things run out again. aheadbutt
Shame on you Chippy for not brewing your own beer. I hope that, like my supermarket purchases, they were "research beers" or "yeast samples". :laugh8:
What do people stock up on? Are they expecting a siege? Nothing wrong with buying extra flour, pasta, and rice if you're expecting a second lockdown, but stripping supermarkets bare! Didn't we learn from the last lockdown? Did everybody eat all the stuff they'd hoarded or are they still throwing it away?
Bog rolls are not essential. You can't eat them and you can't make beer out of them. If you run out then what? you find some other way of cleaning up. Ok, disposal nappies I can understand if you've got a baby, but I don't remember hearing about those running out.

Shame on you Chippy for not brewing your own beer. I hope that, like my supermarket purchases, they were "research beers" or "yeast samples". :laugh8:

I have mentioned this before (some will say way too many times) i don't brew beer for several reasons, small house, little storage, no temperature control etc, SWMBO is not keen on beer but loves wine so with the room we have i have always made wine and bought beer from the supermarkets and bargain booze, i have had many good and some excellent beers in the past couple of years, it was about then when i stopped drinking lager and moved to "proper" beer. ;)

What do people stock up on? Are they expecting a siege? Nothing wrong with buying extra flour, pasta, and rice if you're expecting a second lockdown, but stripping supermarkets bare! Didn't we learn from the last lockdown? Did everybody eat all the stuff they'd hoarded or are they still throwing it away?

The problem is people are expecting a full lockdown when we get into winter so are going to jump the gun this time and not get left behind like many did last time, the supermarkets have to act much faster this time to stop this then everyone will have enough.

Back