Covid-19 the second wave.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutely, perhaps if the school had an AM session and a PM session - school meals would not have to be provided thus saving the need to provide a meal in school - that would surely had allowed a team of cleaners to blast through and sanitise before the PM session?
Trouble is, the catering staff are there to provide lunches for the kids whose parents are working...
My wife is a "dinner lady" (I can't call her that, as she does a hell of a lot more than just cooking!), and the majority of kids that are in her school are there because their parents are working, although most of them are not "key" workers.
In my opinion, if these staff have to go in to work, they should be far nearer the top of the vaccination list than they are.
My good lady is in her 50's, had pneumonia twice, but the school have given her a predicted vaccination date of "early summer".
She is just as much at risk at all the older folk that have already been given the jab...

People are literally afraid of stepping out of their front doors for fear of being struck down dead,

- don’t feed the hysteria machine.

So don't do what you're doing ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like London is in a hell of a state. We need to bring in the army, if they aren’t already there.

I know our medical system is separate but - The Scots doctors and nurses should head down too if we have capacity. We all need to help them big time. This is pretty nasty for folks. 3 hours min on a ambulance and lucky if get into hospital. The whole of uk needs to help where it is needed fast. It’s absolutely tragic what’s happening down there.

Agree with above, may i add now is not the time for the blame game now is the time as country to come together and beat this ******* virus, the inquest can wait
The country will only come together with a national government not with 4 regional assemblies and 4 parties. The only way forward is a coalition government tomorrow.

Just an observation, since 1st October deaths are as a percentage lower in every age group except over 80s. Numbers for England and only include people who died in hospital.
137273815_10164454827430585_7510062013311155338_n.jpg

So don't do what you're doing ??

Generating hysteria? Hardly. Amazed that’s what you took from that post.

Since the start of lockdown I have been doing some shopping, picking up prescriptions and doing odd gardening jobs when I can for people who have requested help from our PC. Three people in particular have not left their houses since March because of the MSM coverage. Not even for a short walk, and we live in a rural village where on a wander around the block you will see another person if you’re lucky. I have also heard this anecdotally from my parents regarding some of their more elderly friends. Sadly, I very much doubt these are isolated cases.

I received a positive test result on Monday. I was telling the track and trace guy last night that the only time in the last 2 weeks that I've been indoors with anyone other than those I live with was when I collected a turkey (click and collect) on Christmas Eve. And my wife and kids didn't go anywhere at all either. I met my sister twice out of doors only for a walk and a bike ride, but she is the only person outside of my immediate family I've seen (she tested positive a day before me). And I didn't get close to her. My conclusion is that this new variant must be incredibly contagious

How are you feeling now? I had it before Christmas and whilst I didn't get very ill I was left exhausted by the end of it. Even now I'm finding myself getting mentally tired in the afternoon. One of the guys in work had it recently too and whilst he felt fine initially he had a bad fever around half way through.

Listening to a 5 live podcast this morning and they are reporting In some part of London one in twenty has Covid ashock1

A nurse felt "overwhelming fear" as 13 ambulances queued at her hospital's A&E department - in the Welsh region currently hardest hit by Covid deaths.

To date Cwm Taf Morgannwg health board, which runs Royal Glamorgan Hospital, has reported 1,091 deaths of patients with coronavirus.
BBC Wales was granted access to A&E at the hospital in Rhondda Cynon Taf.
Senior doctor Amanda Farrow said the whole hospital had faced "unrelenting" pressure last Saturday.

Senior A&E nurse Sarah Fogarasy, who was on shift as the ambulances arrived, said there was no capacity at the unit - a situation that left her wanting "to leave".
"We had to escalate it to our site manager and deputy head of nursing who were liaising with the executive team on call," she said.
"And then it got to 13 patients outside - I had no capacity in this unit, no resuscitation capacity, no capacity to put a patient on CPAP [continuous positive airway pressure] should they require that and no physical areas to put a patient in.
"It was overwhelming."

She said she found it hard to keep going.
"This bit makes me quite emotional… for the first time I was sat trying to coordinate this department and I had that overwhelming fear that I just wanted to leave," Ms Fogarasy continued.
"I was just - 'I'm done. I'm done with this'... and it's scary, it fills you full of fear when you have got 13 ambulances outside, queuing around the carpark. Where do you go from that?"

Full article - Covid: Royal Glamorgan Hospital nurse felt 'overwhelming fear' - BBC News

Good news for the anglers -

Anglers have hailed the mental health benefits of the sport after it was given the all-clear to continue, despite lockdown.
The government said it would be treated as a form of exercise, but subject to restrictions such as social distancing.
Regulations mean people in England must stay at home except for specific purposes, including exercise, shopping for essentials and childcare.
Figures show thousands more people have taken up fishing during the pandemic.
John Ellis, national fisheries and angling manager for the Canal and Rivers Trust, said rod licence sales increased by 17% over the last year, the equivalent of about 100,000 people - some new to the sport and others returning.
He said, despite the colder weather which usually causes a drop in fishing, there are more people out than in a typical January.
"It is certainly one of few things people can do legally, can do locally," he said.

Under current restrictions in England, anglers must fish alone, or with members of their household, and must not travel outside their local area.
The government regulations permit people to meet for exercise, but not "for recreational or leisure purposes".
The Department for Culture Media and Sport told the BBC while angling could continue, overarching government guidance meant people should minimise time spent outside their homes.

Mr Ellis said he had received emails from parents pleased their children could go fishing at the weekend, adding that for some people it was linked to their mental wellbeing.
"When you are focussing on fishing, it is very hard to think about anything else, it clears the mind of other worries, at least temporarily," he said.

Headway Birmingham & Solihull, a charity which helps people living with brain injuries, runs regular fishing sessions, which were very popular with its clients.
"It encourages them to be more active and get some fresh air out in the countryside," she said.
"It also helps their motivation and mental wellbeing, giving them something to look forward to each week, something to talk about and a chance to form friendships with others who enjoy fishing too."

'Wind down'
Spencer Moore, a bailiff for Blackfords Progressive Angling Society, based in South Staffordshire, said the sport was perfect for social distancing.
"There are people furloughed, sitting in their house or working from home, but at least they can fish and can get out and wind down," he said.
"Being a fisherman, you are on your own on your peg. Someone might be on another peg, but they can be 20 to 30ft away, so you are nowhere near anyone else."

Chris Wood, from Shrewsbury Anglers Club, said the group had seen a definite "upsurge" in interest during the pandemic.
But, he said, it had also seen an increase in illegal fishing by people who were not aware of the proper permits needed.

How are you feeling now? I had it before Christmas and whilst I didn't get very ill I was left exhausted by the end of it. Even now I'm finding myself getting mentally tired in the afternoon. One of the guys in work had it recently too and whilst he felt fine initially he had a bad fever around half way through.
Not too bad mate. I think that the weirdest thing is losing your senses of taste and smell. Didn't happen til day 5/6 though. Yesterday was the first day this week I haven't had to lie down for an hour at lunchtime, but was knackered by the end of the working day. 👍

😲 Time to start digging that underground bunker!

I remember when this first broke out they filmed Londoners on the tube trains squashing themselves into tube trains as if it was a normal day, i am not surprised the virus is being caught in such high numbers people seem incapable of following the simplest or rules.

I remember when this first broke out they filmed Londoners on the tube trains squashing themselves into tube trains as if it was a normal day, i am not surprised the virus is being caught in such high numbers people seem incapable of following the simplest or rules.

I know. Even my own daughter thinks the situation is overhyped and for most the symptoms are minor. The trouble is that for some the outcome is tragic and you’ve no idea how you will fare. Puts me in mind of Dirty Harry - D’ya feel lucky punk?

Schools reporting 6x more kids attending due to their parents being key workers than last time schools were closed.

SWMBO works in a care home and is regularly tested she has just received a text saying she is negative, huge sigh of relief here.

The young were suffering mild symptoms when the first virus hit it seems they are now in the same boat as the rest of us
Doctors say they are seeing an increasing number of people in their 30s and 40s being admitted with the new, more transmissible coronavirus variant.

Medical staff at Portsmouth's Queen Alexandra Hospital say they "cannot go on like this" as the number of Covid-19 patients continues to rise.

More than 450 people - almost half the hospital's total capacity - are being treated for coronavirus.
Those caring for them have described the situation as "upsetting", "draining" and "relentless".
Staff are urging people to stay at home to prevent the hospital becoming completely overwhelmed.
Nurse Marguerite du Toit said: "It's just been heartbreaking, really. Staff are really tired and the patients are just flooding in and [they are] really, really ill."

Doctors say they are seeing an increasing number of people in their 30s and 40s being admitted with the new, more transmissible coronavirus variant.
And following an increase in cases after Christmas, concern is growing over whether mixing at new year will soon result in a further surge of cases.
Anaesthetic consultant Shirag Patel said there was a "significant proportion" of patients who needed "invasive ventilation" which required them to be in intensive care.
ICU consultant Steve Mathieu said: "The pressure's enormous and it's relentless and it's been that way for months.
"What we can't do is be in a situation where that continues to rise and Covid becomes rampant."

Patient Nigel Dawkins, who received lifesaving treatment on Christmas Eve, said: "One minute you're with your family and the next minute you're in hospital and then you are dealing with your own mortality.
"You're sitting here 24-seven thinking, 'Am I going to make it?'"
Nurse Abbie Stewart said: "We are already low on beds, we are struggling and struggling every day.
"That just makes me really frightened to think how can we do one more day, how can we do one more week, like this.
"We are in complete crisis. Please, please help us by staying at home and following the rules.
"We cannot go on like this any more."

Latest posts

Back