Covid-19 the second wave.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is an example of the sort of non thinking numb nuts who undermine all the measures the government and other agencies put in place to try to control Covid, balancing that against the need to maintain personal freedoms as far as possible and to sustain the economy, let alone additional isolating precautions individuals decide for themselves.
It only takes one idiot who thinks he or she can't be bothered to cause misery for thousands. No appeals to reason or common sense are going are to change that. We are dealing with the lowest common denominator. And I'm afraid we are stuck with it until a 'cure' is found or the virus dies out
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-54205353

I was getting my annual flu jab today and one rather depressing aspect was when they gave the standard disclaimers I,e, that it will not 100% protect against flu, will take up too 21 days to take affect etc. the pharmacist also had to add in and will not give you flu. Now I would say this is rather obvious but the fact that it had to be included as a standard disclaimer means I dread what kind of questions she has had to field.

The hope is that an effective COVID vaccine will be developed but I really do fear how many conspiracy theorists and people who have become terrified of vaccines due to all the pseudo science and conspiracy theory’s being banded about online will decide not to get a vaccine when it is available.

No.
He should be prosecuted for not self isolating
No. He shouldnt.
Tests and so called 'cases' are irrelavant. Hosp admissions and deaths are the only numbers that need considering. The nations been brainwashed.
Especially when even the govt state QUITE CLEARLY that the tests are inaccurate. And medical experts suggest that concluding a case from a single test is rediculous. Then theres the point of fact that tests show + from other virus family ailments. . Not to mention a mountain goat some fruit and unused tests all 'tested' posative... oh. Did i mention double counting.
So again. Testing is pointless. Certainly on something so 'undeadly' its rediculous.
Time to return to normality. Total normality. Sweden. The End.

No.

No. He shouldnt.
Tests and so called 'cases' are irrelavant. Hosp admissions and deaths are the only numbers that need considering. The nations been brainwashed.
Especially when even the govt state QUITE CLEARLY that the tests are inaccurate. And medical experts suggest that concluding a case from a single test is rediculous. Then theres the point of fact that tests show + from other virus family ailments. . Not to mention a mountain goat some fruit and unused tests all 'tested' posative... oh. Did i mention double counting.
So again. Testing is pointless. Certainly on something so 'undeadly' its rediculous.
I believe Sweden is using many measures to help stop the spread of Covid, only it has not shut down, but there is not total normality there.

BBC News earlier today -

Covid restrictions in England will get tougher if rules are not followed, Matt Hancock has warned, as the government introduces £10,000 fines for people who fail to self-isolate.

The health secretary told the BBC's Andrew Marr show the country was facing a "tipping point and we have a choice".

"If everybody follows the rules then we can avoid further national lockdown."

The prime minister is understood to be considering a ban on households mixing, and reducing opening hours for pubs.

Asked if England could face another national lockdown, Mr Hancock said: "I don't rule it out, I don't want to see it."

In the BBC interview, he also:

• Said he would call the police on people who refused to self-isolate
  • Denied the government was overreacting given deaths and hospital admissions remain relatively low
  • Said there was still hope a vaccine would get "over the line" this year
The move under consideration by PM Boris Johnson could take the form of a two-week mini lockdown in England - being referred to as a "circuit breaker" - in an aim to stem a recent surge in cases.

On Saturday, a further 4,422 new Covid-19 cases and 27 deaths were reported in the UK.

Full article - Hancock: Follow Covid rules or they will get tougher

Early in July our city of Melbourne went into lockdown stage 3 which was kind of tolerable but it was not enough. By the end of the month we had gone from low double digits to over 700 new cases daily. In August we went to stage 4 which was curfew 8.00pm to 5.00am, no restaurant, pubs, no gatherings at all. One person per household allowed to shop for one hour once per day and no further than 5 kilometres from home. No visitors - zilch. Exercise one hour per day max and masks had to be worn when outside of home. Click and collect purchases only so no retail apart from pharmacies, bottle shops and supermarkets. There is another week to go but today only 21 new cases over night.

Yes its been tough but it has saved lives and the crime rate has dropped dramatically as the crooks cannot get about easily. Gave plenty of our customers time to brew too.

Frankly I read from DavidDetroit about what is going on there and you have to wonder how many died needlessly because this POTUS wants to foist his orange face on the world‘ TV screens for ever. You know in Australia we only ever got 14 infected people from China but hundreds of infected passengers from Los Angeles came in well after we stopped the flights from China. Wish you all luck there in the UK and hope you can stock up on brewing essentials because this thing is not over by a long shot. I doubt we will see anything like normality before Christmas at the earliest.

It only came in from Los Angeles because it got there from China, and it only got there from China because the CCP were busy trying to cover it up instead of coming clean and giving the rest of the world more valuable time to make plans.
China closed it’s own cities off from visitors from Wuhan, whilst letting people spread the virus across the world with international flights.

Last edited:

My earlier post was not about tests it was about people coming back from holiday deliberately ignoring the rules on self isolating, people have been fined for ignoring the request and in my view rightly so.

A woman has been fined £1,000 after refusing to self-isolate when she returned to Rochdale from a family holiday in Spain.

Rochdale Borough Council received reports that a family in Bamford had returned from Spain and were not self-isolating.

Council officers contacted the family, who admitted they were not self-isolating, and offered them guidance on the self-isolation rules.

Further reports were received so council officers, accompanied by Greater Manchester Police (GMP), visited the couple’s home in Bamford.

The man was at home but the woman had left the house to attend work in a high school in Rossendale, Lancashire. GMP officers asked her to return home immediately and issued her with a fixed penalty notice of £1,000. The school is working with public health to address the COVID-19 risk.

Enquiries with Border Control confirmed that the couple had lied to officers about when they returned from Spain in an attempt to self-isolate for less time. GMP are considering taking further action against the couple on this.

Councillor Sara Rowbotham, cabinet member for health and wellbeing at Rochdale Borough Council, said: “Coronavirus has presented many challenges for our residents and we know that families have made sacrifices in how they live their lives. However we still need everyone to play their part in stopping the spread of the virus. Self-isolating is a vital part of this.

“We want to avoid enforcement where we can but this was a clear example of someone deliberately ignoring the rules for their own convenience. Irresponsible behaviour puts lives at risk and we will take action against people who show disregard for the rules.”

1600604984789.png

Visitors have flocked to Blackpool despite police warning against having a "last blast" in the resort before tighter restrictions come into force.

People reported queues for attractions, heavy traffic, little social distancing and few people wearing masks indoors.
Lancashire will be subject to tighter restrictions from Tuesday after significant increases in Covid-19 cases, but Blackpool is exempt.
Police had said they were preparing for large crowds over the weekend.
Gem Concannon, 36, from Northwich, Cheshire, said she had visited the resort on Saturday with her family.
She said: "It was heaving, hardly anyone was wearing masks or social distancing. It was shocking.
"I've never seen it that busy before."
On Friday, Lancashire Police deputy chief constable Terry Woods appealed for people not to have one "last blast" before the restrictions come into place.

'Respect the rules'

He said: "Going to Blackpool this weekend if you're not from [there] and mingling in any large crowds - that wouldn't be looking after your family.
"Make sensible decisions to protect yourselves, going to Blackpool in mass numbers is quite the opposite of protecting yourselves."
Blackpool's director of public health Dr Arif Rajpura said: "It is absolutely critical that residents and businesses adhere to the new 'rule of six' restrictions and follow all Covid guidelines around social distancing and wearing of face coverings.
"The same advice goes to those visiting our resort. The only way to stop the spread of the virus is to respect the rules which are there for a reason."
The new restrictions across other parts of Lancashire ban households from meeting each other at home or in private gardens.
Pubs and restaurants must also shut at 22:00 BST.
Infection rates in Blackpool are lower than in some parts of the county but the area has seen an increase in positive cases.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-54224544

@crowcrow there isn't a care emojii here so a few words, thank you for describing the personal side of this situation. I've stayed away from this thread since really it's not somewhere that people like myself should comment. Yours though is the very human side of this situation, yes the deaths are hard to think about but there are far many more families that are addressing the long term effects of this pandemic that are far more than just a flu like illness.
Please, for those reading this, respect the advice given, focus on washing your hands and respect for surface contamination , for heaven's sake we are brewers here, we know about surfaces, contamination and the risk of spoilage. Bring that respect to your day to day experiences with others, and share that experience with those that know you.

Ok nuff said for now.. this matters.

Anna

Cheers DocAnna - I've missed out a lot of the details of the illness as they are too numerous to list, but she's been very ill, but is slowly improving - the long covid group she's in has around 7000 UK members and another group has 15000 international members - small numbers on a country scale but certainly loads of people who are suffering but not on her groups. I hope this second wave isn't as deadly as the first,
No.

No. He shouldnt.
Have you been to Sweden? My mate lives there, there aren't many forced restrictions (there are some) but life there is very very like life here - people are generally taking it seriously, most offices are closed or very empty, and their economy has tanked to.

It has, but to be fair, nothing like to the extent of their neighbours who locked down.

Well if you want to compare Sweden's neighbours - Sweden has had about 600 deaths per million, Denmark 100, Finland 60, Norway 50.

And Sweden has favourable demographics in other ways - in particular it has the highest rate of people living on their own in the EU (and ?? in the world??), which is very helpful given that most transmission happens within households. So it "ought" to have much lower Covid rates, lower than Denmark or Finland.

1600641659240.png

Well if you want to compare Sweden's neighbours - Sweden has had about 600 deaths per million, Denmark 100, Finland 60, Norway 50.

And Sweden has favourable demographics in other ways - in particular it has the highest rate of people living on their own in the EU (and ?? in the world??), which is very helpful given that most transmission happens within households. So it "ought" to have much lower Covid rates, lower than Denmark or Finland.

View attachment 32936

It’s not over yet.

I don't think we will really know if or how much Sweden got it right until next year if we ever do.

It does look to be following a normal flu season pattern so I think its inevitable we are going to be in it rough now for the winter.

If any natural immunity builds for this thing , we stayed indoors for summer so I actually wonder whether we ended up making it worse. As soon as my two went back both immediatley acught colds and all them things immediatly cirylate around schools..

My youngest has been off for 2 weeks now since someone in his year tested positive so the entire year was sent home.. its going to be on and off like this now forever it feels, unless we find a way to co -exist. If going around and building some immunity is to ultimatley be the way then I guess we need to find a way to control it.

I don't think we will really know if or how much Sweden got it right until next year if we ever do.

It does look to be following a normal flu season pattern so I think its inevitable we are going to be in it rough now for the winter.

If any natural immunity builds for this thing , we stayed indoors for summer so I actually wonder whether we ended up making it worse. As soon as my two went back both immediatley acught colds and all them things immediatly cirylate around schools..

My youngest has been off for 2 weeks now since someone in his year tested positive so the entire year was sent home.. its going to be on and off like this now forever it feels, unless we find a way to co -exist. If going around and building some immunity is to ultimatley be the way then I guess we need to find a way to control it.
I am with you, we missed the boat with controlled herd immunity amongst fit and healthy young people.
During the summer, whenever I heard people moaning on facebook about younger people not following rules, I just thought maybe they are unitentionally doing there bit by catching Covid.
Now as winter will soon be with us, it's a different story as hospitals will be busy with seasonal flu etc.
Relying on a vaccine that may never come to fruition is not really a plan, especially when it involves wrecking our economy in the process.

The UK is at a "critical point" in the coronavirus pandemic and "heading in the wrong direction", the government's chief medical adviser will warn.

Prof Chris Whitty believes the country is facing a "very challenging winter period" and is hold a televised briefing at 11:00 BST.

It comes after the prime minister spent the weekend considering whether to introduce further measures in England.

On Sunday, a further 3,899 daily cases and 18 deaths were reported in the UK.

The prime minister is understood to be considering a two-week mini lockdown in England - being referred to as a "circuit breaker" - in an effort to stem widespread growth of the virus.

He held a meeting at Downing Street on Sunday, along with Prof Whitty, Chancellor Rishi Sunak and Health Secretary Matt Hancock, to discuss possible measures.

BBC political editor Laura Kuenssberg said the view from No 10 was that while doing nothing "was not an option", neither was a full national lockdown, and that whatever measures are imposed could be turned "off and on" throughout the winter.

Asked about reports of disagreements among cabinet ministers about whether or not to impose a second lockdown, Transport Secretary Grant Shapps told BBC Breakfast: "A conversation, a debate, is quite proper and that is exactly what you'd expect.

"Everyone recognises there is a tension between... the virus and the measures we need to take, and the economy and ensuring people's livelihoods are protected."

He added it was "very clear when you follow the data" that the UK is "at this tipping point where we may need to go further".

Full article - UK at 'critical point', top scientists to warn

1600684004421.png

Breaking news 11:30

The UK could see 50,000 new coronavirus cases a day by mid-October without further restrictions, the government's chief scientific adviser has warned.

Sir Patrick Vallance said that "would be expected to lead to about 200 deaths per day" a month after that.

The briefing at Downing St comes as Prime Minister Boris Johnson considers whether to introduce further measures in England.

On Sunday, a further 3,899 daily cases and 18 deaths were reported in the UK.

The briefing at Downing St comes as Prime Minister Boris Johnson considers whether to introduce further measures in England.
If this report in the Guardian is correct, then I can't see how his judgement qualifies him to make any kind of decisions at all:
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ports-boris-johnson-went-on-secret-italy-tripOn the other hand, Yesterday's Guardian wanted us to believe that 345 people had died in France in the last 24 hours instead of the 20 recorded. So they're not infallible, even so it does sound very Boris!

Back