Covid-19 the second wave.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Landlady from my old local was in Life of Brian, one of the women at the stoning. She was on holiday where they were filming and apparently the Pythons showed up at the hotel asking if anyone wanted to be in a film!

Levels of protective antibodies in people wane "quite rapidly" after coronavirus infection, say researchers.

Antibodies are a key part of our immune defences and stop the virus from getting inside the body's cells.

The Imperial College London team found the number of people testing positive for antibodies has fallen by 26% between June and September.

They say immunity appears to be fading and there is a risk of catching the virus multiple times.

"Immunity is waning quite rapidly, we're only three months after our first [round of tests] and we're already showing a 26% decline in antibodies," said Prof Helen Ward, one of the researchers.

The fall was greater in those over 65, compared with younger age groups, and in those without symptoms compared with those with full-blown Covid-19.

The number of healthcare workers with antibodies remained relatively high, which the researchers suggest may be due to regular exposure to the virus.

The news comes as figures from the Office for National Statistics show that the number of Covid-19 deaths in the UK rose by 60% in the week of 16 October.

The ONS figures suggest there have now been more than 60,000 deaths involving Covid-19 in the UK.

More than 350,000 people in England have taken an antibody test as part of the REACT-2 study so far.

In the first round of testing, at the end of June and the beginning of July, about 60 in 1,000 people had detectable antibodies.

But in the latest set of tests, in September, only 44 per 1,000 people were positive.

It suggests the number of people with antibodies fell by more than a quarter between summer and autumn.

Full article - Covid: Antibodies 'fall rapidly after infection'

They were talking about this report on the radio today. It seems herd immunity is now not an option.

This virus (as has been said many times) isn't going away any time soon, the vaccine could be many many months away and its effect is now in question we are going to have to get used to living with the virus amongst us and deal with it as we can.

So if a vaccine to achieve herd immunity is not a viable method what is?

Sounds more like we need to learn to live with it then
I could be mistaken but I thought "vaccines" and "herd immunity" weren't synonymous. Herd immunity is just a "let 'er rip and do nothing" and vaccines are a logical step by step way of inoculating like giving vaccines to those most in danger first.

Dave the BBC article i posted earlier gives me the impression they dont think the vaccine will be very effective long term.

Levels of protective antibodies in people wane "quite rapidly" after coronavirus infection, say researchers.

Antibodies are a key part of our immune defences and stop the virus from getting inside the body's cells.

The Imperial College London team found the number of people testing positive for antibodies has fallen by 26% between June and September.

They say immunity appears to be fading and there is a risk of catching the virus multiple times.

"Immunity is waning quite rapidly, we're only three months after our first [round of tests] and we're already showing a 26% decline in antibodies," said Prof Helen Ward, one of the researchers.

The fall was greater in those over 65, compared with younger age groups, and in those without symptoms compared with those with full-blown Covid-19.

The number of healthcare workers with antibodies remained relatively high, which the researchers suggest may be due to regular exposure to the virus.

The news comes as figures from the Office for National Statistics show that the number of Covid-19 deaths in the UK rose by 60% in the week of 16 October.

The ONS figures suggest there have now been more than 60,000 deaths involving Covid-19 in the UK.

More than 350,000 people in England have taken an antibody test as part of the REACT-2 study so far.

In the first round of testing, at the end of June and the beginning of July, about 60 in 1,000 people had detectable antibodies.

But in the latest set of tests, in September, only 44 per 1,000 people were positive.

It suggests the number of people with antibodies fell by more than a quarter between summer and autumn.

Full article - Covid: Antibodies 'fall rapidly after infection'

Liverpool, are they reaching herd immunity? are tier 3 restrictions working? a bit of both? I don't know but over 3.6% of everyone has tested positive (nearly the highest in the country), there recent high was nearly 0.7% positive a week and its still over 0.5% (so actual infections must be way over this). Cases are still around the highest in the country but have been dropping since the 12th. Hospital admissions and deaths seem to have stabilised or even fallen in the Midlands (though are still high) unlike most of the rest of the country.
TBHDH2l.png

For comparison Hartlepool went into tier 3 at the same time and cases seem to have stabilised but not fallen.
ie0VyxU.png

And in Middlesborough cases are still rising at a similar rate as before they wet into tier 3
5VCPKYk.png

I could be mistaken but I thought "vaccines" and "herd immunity" weren't synonymous. Herd immunity is just a "let 'er rip and do nothing" and vaccines are a logical step by step way of inoculating like giving vaccines to those most in danger first.

From how I understand you can achieve herd immunity by vaccination.

Unless I am mistaken I do not think even Pro herd immunity thinkers do not think lets send lambs to the slaughter.

However if immunity wanes then it casts doubt over vaccination for a longer term solution and it may just be we have to find a way to slowly carry on normal life now.

I hope I am wrong , I have always thought the hope for a silver bullet to come and put and end to it was a bit optimistic.

Natural herd immunity I think is now in the bin, with vaccine it can be achieved for a short time and people who get a vaccine could be recorded, so you know when it start to wane so you can get a booster shot. So basically multiple and regular vaccination - it is doable

From how I understand you can achieve herd immunity by vaccination.

Unless I am mistaken I do not think even Pro herd immunity thinkers do not think lets send lambs to the slaughter.

However if immunity wanes then it casts doubt over vaccination for a longer term solution and it may just be we have to find a way to slowly carry on normal life now.

I hope I am wrong , I have always thought the hope for a silver bullet to come and put and end to it was a bit optimistic.

Herd immunity can be either naturally acquired or by vaccine.

Virologists seem to think covid will be a part of life from now on, but a mixture of naturally acquired immunity, vaccination programmes and better treatment will make covid be no worse than flu in the future.

The term we as a race are our own worst enemy is now biting us on the ****, my life has changed a little since this began being able to adapt has helped + being retired helps i can still do all i want i have been on holiday days out shopping, things i dont do is go the pub eat out and keep away from busy places, i fully understand peoples needs and worries vary i feel for my kids and their lives going forward, what really gets me is how selfish some people are if only they could see we could all live a good life with a little change, and i fear those changes are not far off the way things are going

So if a vaccine to achieve herd immunity is not a viable method what is?

Sounds more like we need to learn to live with it then

Going back to the piece on the radio the expert explained a vaccine will offer a higher level of immunity than any natural immunity from contracting the virus so will last longer. They think the vaccine will need to be like the present flu jab where it given annually.

Going back to the piece on the radio the expert explained a vaccine will offer a higher level of immunity than any natural immunity from contracting the virus so will last longer. They think the vaccine will need to be like the present flu jab where it given annually.
This is exactly what I posted back in teh early summer my ex said this , shes no virologist but shes a band 7 sister..

She always thought it will be part of life and an annual jab.

She however also was an advocate for keeping children at school and thinks that to some extent they need to within some controlled parameters need to nuild immunity and that staying locked indoors all summer was a bad idea as we transmit things through non flu season and build immunity that way for the following year.

Aren't there other parts of our body that can fight the virus as well as the immune system? Also our immune system as a memory so can remember how to react to the virus if caught again.

Back