Covid-19 the second wave.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These new measures are p**s poor and will do nothing think its called a knee jerk reaction :tinhat:

They have to do something the figures below especially the second don't make good reading.

cvvv.jpg

115150294-pastedgraphic16-2.jpg

Attachments

• 1604176496350.png
    1604176496350.png
    191.8 KB · Views: 56
Some schools will have a massive problem with staffing, especially in "hot zones" - I'm sure most schools do have the staff members (teachers and non teachers) who are older or vulnerable. In my school we have 2 teachers with 1 year to retirement - one has underlining health issues and other just came back after cancer treatment, there are some staff with diabetes, heart condition, asthma etc. If people in schools start dying to covid or get seriously ill, unions will start to act really quickly.
I was always annoyed with government mantra "schools are safe for children", totally leaving out staff who work in schools. And recently the guidance change, before we were supposed to leave windows wide open, to help with ventilation. New guidance is to leave them very slightly open as pupils will be cold if we just leave them open - but there will be hardly any ventilation. 30+ kids breathe same air as a teacher in an enclosed space.
Of course kids need education and remote learning is not great, lots of them don't have technology at home - but this should have been foreseen - money wasted elsewhere would be much better spent on equipment for poorest families.
And I think some parents are really sick of their kids and they don't cope very well with home learning. In some cases it is not easy if you have to work from home. Time will tell...

I worry lock down Mk II will permanently shaft the economy. I hope I'm wrong, but I fear the worst. I assume all the lock down evangelists have found a magic unicorn to fund their jobs and households in the future, because I don't see the public purse having a penny to spare outside of very basic social security and minimalist healthcare. God help us all.
I noticed the first time round and now the second the ones shouting the loudest for a lock down and all that are civil servants with guaranteed money and employment and work, but show total indifference to anyone else trying to earn a crust in these austere times.

I noticed the first time round and now the second the ones shouting the loudest for a lock down and all that are civil servants with guaranteed money and employment and work, but show total indifference to anyone else trying to earn a crust in these austere times.
Been trying to avoid commenting on this thread, but what a load of utter, utter codswallop. Do you perhaps refer to the teachers who are faced with spending hours at a time with 30 children, some of whom will be asymptomatic, in a tiny room day after day (who will still have to work, perhaps even harder in lockdown)? Or the medics who are faced with trying to provide life saving care in maxed-out hospitals whilst feeling scared and overwhelmed? What about those carers with their gold-plated salaries working in care homes where they know that covid will wipe out most of the people they care for if it takes hold? Yes it is an extremely difficult balance to achieve between lives and livelihoods, but please try to understand why some of these 'indifferent' people who place themselves in the firing line day after day after day might be feeling a little anxious about what is in store over the next few months

Get used to it, this is going to last for years and we are not even in winter yet or in the seasonal flu window.

I do not subscribe to the notion that a jab is going to float up next year and we are done.. it may give a diminished effect over time for the virus spread and such but I think we are going to have to learn to live with it and the use of vaccines to help us continue with normal life.

Get used to it, this is going to last for years and we are not even in winter yet or in the seasonal flu window.

I do not subscribe to the notion that a jab is going to float up next year and we are done.. it may give a diminished effect over time for the virus spread and such but I think we are going to have to learn to live with it and the use of vaccines to help us continue with normal life.
Well quite... But there is no god given right not to die from this. We have taken unprecedented measures because this is a virus with no mitigation available. Once there is, there will be ZERO support for measures that impinge on normality and more importantly, ruin the health and livelihoods of the vast majority of the population not at real risk from it. That might sound callous, let me assure you thats not my intention. The way this has gone on is horrible, but the pain and suffering caused by these measures largely goes unreported whilst the media whip up a frenzy over practically every case and death.

Well quite... But there is no god given right not to die from this. We have taken unprecedented measures because this is a virus with no mitigation available. Once there is, there will be ZERO support for measures that impinge on normality and more importantly, ruin the health and livelihoods of the vast majority of the population not at real risk from it. That might sound callous, let me assure you thats not my intention. The way this has gone on is horrible, but the pain and suffering caused by these measures largely goes unreported whilst the media whip up a frenzy over practically every case and death.

Yes it might be difficult at present to estimate the amount of life lost from covid vs the amount caused by the anti-covid restrictions. Covid19 is the news that sells at least until more people start dying as a result of their treatment being postponed or put on hold, or for fear of attending for treatment due to risk of catching covid in a healthcare establishment.

Whilst in a year or two we may be in a better position to determine the best course of action, decisions have to be made now. The NHS needs a functioning economy to fund it as do many other services. I'd like to think amongst this mess something positive will happen.

I agree very much so.. The entire situation is horrible.

Looks like the horror graph presented on Saturday night may well have been flawed;

'Prof Carl Heneghan, the director of the Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine, at Oxford University, said he was “deeply concerned” by the selection of data which were not based on the current reality.

He said: “Our job as scientists is to reflect the evidence and the uncertainties and to provide the latest estimates.”

“I cannot understand why they have used this data, when there are far more up-to-date forecasts from Cambridge that they could have accessed, which show something very different.”

Prof Heneghan said his analysis suggests the forecasts could be four to five times too high.'

Also, they are going to ban pubs from doing takeaway alcohol - I cannot see how this has anything whatsoever to do with preventing the spread of covid19, it isn't like the virus doesn't attack you if you are picking up a burger but does if you add a takeaway pint to it, and just fuels my suspicion that anti-booze temperance types in PHE are gold plating things in order to further their agenda.

Depressing meetings at work today ~ this lockdown will kill of much of the green shoots of the V shaped recovery.

Latest posts

Back