Covid-19 the second wave.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are the relevant rules from the T&C's -

4.2. We reserve the right to refuse service, deny or terminate membership and access to any person with or without cause, and to remove or edit content in our sole and absolute discretion.

• You agree to refrain from engaging in any inappropriate conduct when using the Websites. Inappropriate conduct will not be tolerated and may result in the termination of member privileges. Inappropriate conduct is any conduct or behavior deemed by us, in our sole and absolute discretion, to be harmful to the online community, including, but not limited to, the following:
  • Engaging in activity that makes you a high-maintenance user to our staff;
  • posting any defamatory or otherwise false information;

We can delete anything anytime but then we run the risk of being accused of censorship (it has happened many times before) if members want to discuss topics about the flat earth, new world order and men not landing on the moon fair enough but suggesting the vaccine is designed to kill people is a step too far.

I will leave this post by Mr Harper as an example future posts of this type will be deleted. Covid-19 the second wave.

Last edited:
The coronavirus vaccine developed by the University of Oxford is highly effective at stopping people developing Covid-19 symptoms, a large trial shows.

Interim data suggests 70% protection, but the researchers say the figure may be as high as 90% by tweaking the dose.
The results will be seen as a triumph, but come after Pfizer and Moderna vaccines showed 95% protection.
However, the Oxford jab is far cheaper, and is easier to store and get to every corner of the world than the other two.
So the vaccine will play a significant role in tackling the pandemic, if it is approved for use by regulators.
"The announcement today takes us another step closer to the time when we can use vaccines to bring an end to the devastation caused by [the virus]," said the vaccine's architect, Prof Sarah Gilbert.
The UK government has pre-ordered 100 million doses of the Oxford vaccine, and AstraZeneca says it will make three billion doses for the world next year.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson said it was "incredibly exciting news" and that while there were still safety checks to come, "these are fantastic results".

What did the trial show?
There are two results from the trial of more than 20,000 volunteers in the UK and Brazil.
Overall, there were 30 cases of Covid in people who had two doses of the vaccine and 101 cases in people who received a dummy injection. The researchers said it worked out at 70% protection, which is better than the seasonal flu jab.
Nobody getting the actual vaccine developed severe-Covid or needed hospital treatment.
Prof Andrew Pollard, the trial's lead investigator, said he was "really pleased" with the results as "it means we have a vaccine for the world".
However, protection was 90% in an analysis of around 3,000 people on the trial who were given a half-sized first dose and a full-sized second dose.
Prof Pollard said the finding was "intriguing" and would mean "we would have a lot more doses to distribute."
The analysis also suggested there was a reduction in the number of people being infected without developing symptoms, who are still thought to be able to spread the virus.

Full article - Covid-19: Oxford University vaccine is highly effective

That stirred the nest didn't it? I'll remove since you all feel so strongly. Open debate is obviously not allowed anywhere.

Stop trolling i have already covered this -

We can delete anything anytime but then we run the risk of being accused of censorship (it has happened many times before) if members want to discuss topics about the flat earth, new world order and men not landing on the moon fair enough but suggesting the vaccine is designed to kill people is a step too far.

Removing it now (even if you can) is pointless as its already been read by hundreds of members and guests.

Not trolling chippy - I added my 2 penneth and got nothing but abuse...

I beg to differ - I had already explained the forums position on this in post 728 therefore you are trolling and BTW removing your entire post would be pointless as many members have had already quoted it and as you are obviously not reading all the posts here i am leaving it there as an example of what will not be tolerated here in future.

To save you searching its here -

I will leave this post by Mr Harper as an example future posts of this type will be deleted. Covid-19 the second wave.

Last edited:
Not trolling chippy - I added my 2 penneth and got nothing but abuse...
You're spreading dangerous misinformation. You didn't get any abuse, though I suspect only because the forum rules prevent that. I think most people here would be happier if you kept that nonsense to yourself or just left quietly if you don't feel you can do that.

We all like a good debate @AlanHarper and I'd love to discuss many of these topics with you at a pub table with a beer in hand.

Web forums and social media posts on these sort of topics often lack evidence or qualification and when reposted lose any context from the original thread.
Whether here or elsewhere online, I'd urge everyone to fact check subjects that just might be iffy at an independent fact checking site, like Who we are – Full Fact for example before propogating what might be myth.
Full Fact is transparent and independently funded. Other fact checking sites are available.

Breaking News -

Gyms and all shops can reopen and outdoor sports can resume in England after lockdown ends next month, PM confirms

This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly. Please refresh the page for the fullest version.
You can receive Breaking News on a smartphone or tablet via the
BBC News App. You can also follow @BBCBreaking on Twitter to get the latest alerts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55048990

Gyms and non-essential shops in all parts of England will be allowed to reopen when lockdown ends next month, the prime minister has announced.

Boris Johnson told the Commons that the three-tiered regional measures will return from 2 December, but he added that each tier will be toughened.
Spectators will be allowed to return to some sporting events, and weddings and collective worship will resume.
Regions will not find out which tier they are in until Thursday.
This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly. Please refresh the page for the fullest version.
You can receive Breaking News on a smartphone or tablet via the
BBC News App. You can also follow @BBCBreaking on Twitter to get the latest alerts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55048990

1606147546628.png

A maximum of 4,000 fans are set to be allowed at outdoor events in the lowest-risk areas when the national lockdown in England ends on 2 December, BBC Sport understands.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson is expected to make an announcement later on Monday about the return of crowds.
He will make a statement to the House of Commons, and MPs will vote on it later in the week.

Up to 2,000 fans will be allowed in tier two areas but zero in tier three.

The measures are set to be part of the new Covid-19 restrictions in England.

Elite sport has continued behind closed doors during England's four-week lockdown, but grassroots and amateur sport has been halted since 5 November.

BBC North West

BREAKING: Pubs will only be allowed to serve alcohol with substantial meals in tougher Tier 2. And in Tier 3 pubs, bars and hospitality venues will have to close. Prime Minister apologises for "inevitable hardship" this will cause.

BREAKING: Prime Minister Boris Johnson has confirmed that shops, personal care and gyms will re-open next week when second national lockdown ends on December 2.

having read the replies to out version of David Icke i doubt anyone reading this would fall for it.

It's not so much the "falling for it", it just gets so disruptive as the 30-odd posts have showed.

That stirred the nest didn't it? I'll remove since you all feel so strongly. Open debate is obviously not allowed anywhere.

Stop playing the martyr. Open debate is allowed, but if you make health claims then you better back them up by verifiable facts - without verifiable facts your contribution is worse than worthless.

I see pubs have been singled out again. As many areas will emerge in T2, that's most wet led pubs finished.

I'd be interested to see proper figures as to how many outbreaks were linked to pubs.

An outbreak in my home county as been traced back by the council's track and trace to two pubs. If you have been to those pubs since 9th November you have to self isolate. Over 20 cases linked to one person who went out on a pub crawl after having a positive case - apparently. Luckily it is far enough away from me for me not to be effected.

Bailey et al analysed the results of testing 135 794 kids for SARS2, 5374 were positive, 7% of the positives ended up in hospital, over a quarter of those ended up in intensive care, 8 of them died.

'This study suggests that for most pediatric patients, the risk of SARS-CoV-2 infection appears low, but higher concern may be warranted for patients with medically complex conditions or those of minority race/ethnicity.'

I dont want to sound thick, but isn't this what we already thought to be true?

I dont want to sound thick, but isn't this what we already thought to be true?

There's a big difference between thinking to be true, and having data to back up those thoughts. I think this is the biggest dataset we have on kids, and I think the first that's gone into detail on what pre-existing conditions seem to be the highest risk factors.

#Burnley pub closed for 'flouting' rules
Covid-19: Burnley pub The Angel Inn closed for 'flouting' rules
Police found lockdown drinkers hiding upstairs and alcohol served without food, a committee hears.
bbc.co.uk
The Angel Inn

A bloke on 5 live has just said he doesnt matter what restrictions are put in place at the end of this and beginning of next year as long as he can have a drink with his friends on Christmas day in the village pub. aheadbutt

Latest posts

Back