Covid-19 the second wave.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At-a-glance: New rules in England
  • People cannot leave their homes except for certain reasons, like the first lockdown last March
  • These include essential medical needs, food shopping, exercise and work for those who cannot do so from home
  • All schools and colleges will close to most pupils from Tuesday with remote learning until February half term
  • Early years settings such as nurseries will stay open
  • End-of-year exams will not take place this summer as normal
  • Elsewhere, university students should not return to campuses and will be taught online
  • Restaurants can continue to offer delivery for food, but takeaway alcohol will be banned
  • Outdoor sports venues - such as golf courses, tennis courts and outside gyms - must close
  • Amateur team sports are not allowed, but elite sport such as Premier League football can continue
From Covid: New lockdown for England amid 'hardest weeks'

But in wales garden centres aren't essential, but you can buy essential items via click and collect.

Went to look at buying a new axe today but they were cordoned off in my country store. I mentioned this to a member of staff and she told me to move the barrier and have a look. When I found the axe I wanted she said I could only buy via click and collect or in their case, ring and collect. I walked out with the axe saying consider this clicked and collected.

Now to teach the kids about axes.

● outdoor exercise. This should be done locally wherever possible, but you can travel a short distance within your area to do so if necessary (for example, to access an open space)

It's nigh on impossible to use the cycling / shared paths where I live because of 4 abreast covidiots on these paths. If I cycle I use roads, if walking with mrs DOJ we travel a short distance to where there are no such crowds. Our house is on the rat run to where dog owners exercise their pets on the playing fields (usually its a family outing too.) - I have written to the first minister how I will refuse to put myself at GREATER risk by following a regulation that increases my risk. Fortunately I'm becoming a ninja at avoiding most numpties.

1609800689334.png

X marks numpty owner - arrow is owners dog - line is extendable dog lead. Please keep you pet under control - He is! Then why is he at my front door squatting? If I see him off the pavement on my property again I'll take a photo of you and report you to the police. No need to be anti-social. You start first and get a shorter lead for your pet.

Ah well open plan estates are wonderful its just the numpties passing thru that spoil it.

So In my case a short journey to exercise for a walk is a necessity.

As i see it only thing to change round here is schools are closed, should have done that from day 1

Again easy to say in hindsight, 12+ months of wages for every parent having to stay off work to look after the kids would have cost the government millions.

So we close schools and I sent my son back to school to mix with 30 others for one day.. Brilliant

I am hoping since the schools did push for it they are going to do a better job than the effort they did in lockdown 1.

I am pessimistic about this being the home straight aswell.. I cannot wait for them to announce in Feb the 10 million vaccinated are not protected against the new South African strain.

So we close schools and I sent my son back to school to mix with 30 others for one day.. Brilliant

I am hoping since the schools did push for it they are going to do a better job than the effort they did in lockdown 1.

I am pessimistic about this being the home straight aswell.. I cannot wait for them to announce in Feb the 10 million vaccinated are not protected against the new South African strain.
south african vs sarf orf england strain - fight! - I've not heard much about the SA strain.

I've not heard much about the SA strain.
Basically, the UK variant is sufficiently similar to the original that scientists are pretty sure that the current vaccines will protect against it. The SA variant is another step removed again and they're not confident at all. Fortunately, it should only take about six weeks to produce a vaccine that will do the job.

Basically, the UK variant is sufficiently similar to the original that scientists are pretty sure that the current vaccines will protect against it. The SA variant is another step removed again and they're not confident at all. Fortunately, it should only take about six weeks to produce a vaccine that will do the job.

They were discussing this earlier on the radio, let's hope they have got it right and they can do it.

Yeah I read that, so does that mean we go back to the starting line? and when it changes again.. Are we just going to jab the same million of people who are not probably spreading it anyway over and over again :laugh8: (I am playing devils advocate)

I was half listening to some Prof on telly last night, or it might have been Niki the Fish, I wasn't paying much attention, who said that it was important to get everyone vaccinated to reduce the overall amount of virus. It seems that the greater the amount of virus in circulation, the greater the statistical chance of a mutation arising that the current vaccine doesn't work against. Its all a numbers game. It makes sense to me.
Here in sunny France, hardly anyone is getting the jab, because, it seems, the majority of hospital staff responsible for persuading people to get vaccinated are anti-vacc conspiracy theorists. You couldn't make it up!
Fortunately, now that the festivities are over, I've got a number of empty pickle jars so I'll be off down to garage this afternoon to dig out the old chemistry set and develop my own vaccine. 👍

Last edited:
Yeah I read that, so does that mean we go back to the starting line? and when it changes again.. Are we just going to jab the same million of people who are not probably spreading it anyway over and over again :laugh8: (I am playing devils advocate)

It will be just like to Flu, each year there is a slightly different variant and we get a new jab.

Yes but the jab you get is for the previous one and not the current one so I was informed when I got my first last October

I think I’m right in saying the World Health Organisation monitors variants (flu) and advises which cocktail (there’s often several) to distribute in the vaccine based on prevalence. The vaccines are prepared and shipped just prior to the vaccination campaign each year.

Back