Covid-19 the second wave.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you may be reading too much into the wording surely they have to say offer as they cannot force people to take it.

Of course, but ministers know that they can say "offer" and a lazy compliant media will twist it into the far-more-impressive-sounding "get" which on current rates of production would take around 50% longer to achieve.

I'm a stickler for typos and the like, and it really bugs me when people aren't precise about this kind of stuff, especially when it changes the meaning so much.

I don't see why solo sport or solo anything should be banned the virus cannot infect people who are not together and if this helps peoples mental wellbeing i don't see the problem.

I see they are reporting the number of kids turning up at school has shot through the roof as parents claim they are key workers.

Playing darts on my own with a pint is good for my mental health but they can't open the pubs because others will feel the same. Dame with fishing, golf etc. People will use it as an excuse and next minute we will see large groups together. That's the reality sadly.

When you go fishing you don't hang about in groups it's a solo sport, people seldom play golf alone plus you have locker rooms etc where people hang about.

We saw large groups of people camping out for days, sometimes weeks, at a time along the chesil beach in the summer. Little fishing actually done. Obviously it won't be like that at the moment due to the weather, but give an inch.....

There will always be people who break rules but under the current circumstances I think the majority would stick to them.

People from my work saying they are discussing making lockdown touger including only leaving house once a week and no support bubbles.

There will always be people who break rules but under the current circumstances I think the majority would stick to them.
Unfortunately the majority I have seen aren't.
It seems this time round everyone as an excuse why they are out and about. Or a whole bunch of coincidence's of how they and all their friends happen to travel to the same place at the same time to do the same activity.
More people seemgaooy to justify why they are breaking the law

People from my work saying they are discussing making lockdown touger including only leaving house once a week and no support bubbles.
Looking at the papers this morning, it looks like the following are being considered;

• Restricting exercise to only being allowed with people in your household / bubble
  • Face coverings in more areas, such as the workplace
  • Closing nurseries
  • Possibly abolishing support bubbles altogether
  • Very possibly closing places of worship

Looking at the papers this morning, it looks like the following are being considered;

• Restricting exercise to only being allowed with people in your household / bubble
  • Closing nurseries
All of which seems eminently sensible to me given the current situation, apart from the support bubble bit. Unfortunately I think people have stretched the meaning of support bubble.

We have a Range store near us that is open as they sell a small amount of food. Every day there is a large queue outside and according to someone who works there, this was on local radio, 80-90% of sales are not essential items. I would have though these places along with supermarkets should be restricted to what they can sell.

Supermarket covid etiquette has lapsed too.
It’s probably the only place where I come into contact with others, and I guess this is the same for a lot of us.

If one more person gets in my face to grab something off a shelf because they are too important to wait 10 seconds, am likely to pummel them with the heaviest thing in my trolley.

All of which seems eminently sensible to me given the current situation, apart from the support bubble bit. Unfortunately I think people have stretched the meaning of support bubble.

I think people strech the meaning of everything they can.

But Support bubbles going would be a disaster for a lot of people, myself and my especially partner included.

Forget covid lets starve to death instead.

I appreciate people abuse it, but its one step too far disproportioante.

• Closing nurseries

I agree but who is going to police it people are ignoring the rules now if they bring in stricter rules i think more will ignore them.

It doesn't help when you have these kinds of headlines :
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/derbyshire-police-lockdown-fines-women-b765217.htmlhttps://www.standard.co.uk/news/pol...iles-downing-street-olympic-park-b827961.html
Now obviously it's a bit different, the nature of cycling even if you're a bit fat like Boris means you could be doing 7 miles each way in an hour of cycling. On the flip side, he has access to the garden in Buck House for running, and can afford a decent indoor bike with all the mod cons like Zwift/Peloton etc.

But how stupid/indifferent do you have to be that you can't see this kind of headline happening, and think about the effect that the perception of "one rule for them", has on ordinary people's willingness to comply with lockdowns?

The UK is facing a "perilous moment" in the pandemic and must guard against complacency, the PM has said, as he announced a total of 2.4 million vaccinations have been given so far.

Visiting a vaccination centre in Bristol, Boris Johnson said: "We have a really tough fight on our hands."
It comes as seven mass inoculation centres have opened in England.
And England's chief medical officer has warned the next few weeks will be "the worst" of the pandemic for the NHS.
Prof Chris Whitty has urged people to minimise unnecessary social contacts.
Meanwhile, the government has set out its plans to immunise tens of millions of people by spring.
Health Secretary Matt Hancock will lead a news conference on the vaccine delivery plan later.
Speaking at Ashton Gate Stadium, Mr Johnson also announced that around 2 million people have received a Covid vaccine across the UK, which means around 400,000 people have had two doses.
He said "roughly" 40% of over-80s have been vaccinated, and 23% of elderly residents in care homes.

'Race against time'
Under the vaccine delivery plan, the government has pledged to carry at least two million vaccinations in England per week by the end of January, which it says will be made possible by rolling out jabs at 206 hospital sites, 50 vaccination centres and around 1,200 local vaccination sites.
The plan also reiterates the government's aim of offering vaccinations to around 15 million people in the UK - the over-70s, older care home residents and staff, frontline healthcare workers and the clinically extremely vulnerable - by mid-February.
But the prime minister warned the vaccination programme was in a "race against time" because of the pressure the NHS was under.
And he said it was "a very perilous moment because everyone can sense the vaccine is coming in - my worry is that will breed false complacency".
Asked whether the government would introduce stricter lockdown rules, Mr Johnson said ministers would keep restrictions "under constant review", adding: "Where we have to tighten the rules we will."

Full article - Covid: UK at 'perilous moment' in pandemic, says PM

About time i hope the rest don't bottle it and bring this in as soon as possible.

Morrisons will bar customers who refuse to wear face coverings from its shops amid rising coronavirus infections.

From Monday, shoppers who refuse to wear face masks offered by staff will not be allowed inside, unless they are medically exempt.
The announcement comes amid concerns that social distancing measures are not being adhered to in supermarkets.
Vaccines minister Nadhim Zahawi said the government is "concerned" shops are not enforcing rules strictly enough.
"Ultimately, the most important thing to do now is to make sure that actually enforcement - and of course the compliance with the rules - when people are going into supermarkets are being adhered to," Mr Zahawi told Sky News.
"We need to make sure people actually wear masks and follow the one-way system," he said.

Morrisons said it had "introduced and consistently maintained thorough and robust safety measures in all our stores" since the start of the pandemic.
But it said: "From today we are further strengthening our policy on masks."
Security guards at the UK's fourth-biggest supermarket chain will be enforcing the new rules.

'Please be kind'
Morrisons' chief executive, David Potts, said: "Those who are offered a face covering and decline to wear one won't be allowed to shop at Morrisons unless they are medically exempt.
"Our store colleagues are working hard to feed you and your family, please be kind."
Earlier on Monday, Mr Zahawi stopped short of saying that supermarket staff should be responsible for enforcing rules on face masks.
Enforcement of face coverings is the responsibility of the police not retailers. Wearing face masks in supermarkets and shops is compulsory across the UK.
In England, the police can issue a £200 fine to someone breaking the face covering rules. In Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales, a £60 fine can be imposed. Repeat offenders face bigger fines.

However, retail industry body the British Retail Consortium said that, workers have faced an increase in incidents of violence and abuse when trying to encourage shoppers to put them on.
Andrew Opie, director of food and sustainability at the British Retail Consortium, added: "Supermarkets continue to follow all safety guidance and customers should be reassured that supermarkets are Covid-secure and safe to visit during lockdown and beyond.
"Customers should play their part too by following in-store signage and being considerate to staff and fellow shoppers."

'Lack of visible protections'
Under current lockdown restrictions across England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, people most only leave home for essential reasons, such as buying food or medicine.
In a bid to contain the spread of coronavirus, supermarkets introduced social distancing measures during the UK's first nationwide lockdown last March. They included limits on the numbers of customers in the shops at any one time, protective plastic screens at tills and "marshals" to ensure shoppers were maintaining a two-metre distance.
But amid rising numbers of infections, some have expressed concerns about a "lack of visible protections" implemented by supermarkets in recent weeks.
The First Minister of Wales, Mark Drakeford, said on Saturday that he wanted to see stores policed as they were during the first lockdown as people were worried the strict enforcement of rules did not "appear to be there this time".
"Given the fact the new variant is so much easier to catch... we are looking at supermarkets and other places where people leave their homes, to make sure they are organised in a way that keeps their staff and customers safe," he said.

Sainsbury's said: "We continue to have a range of measures in place to keep customers and colleagues safe in our stores."
A spokeswoman said the supermarket has "greeters" outside of its supermarkets to enforce limits on the number of customers in-store, as well as reminding customers of social distancing and face mask rules over in-store announcements and on posters.
Supermarket Waitrose said that it was taking a "cautious approach" to the virus, with marshals checking that customers are wearing face coverings on the door, hand sanitiser stations at its entrances and written communications to shoppers reminding them to maintain their distance.
Shop workers' union Usdaw has also called for firms to apply more stringent measures again.
The union's general secretary, Paddy Lillis, said that it had received reports that "too many customers are not following necessary safety measures like social distancing, wearing a face covering and only shopping for essential items".
"It is going to take some time to roll out the vaccine and we cannot afford to be complacent in the meantime, particularly with a new strain sweeping the nation," Mr Lillis said.
The trade union also suggested that "'one-in one-out" policies and proper queuing systems should be reintroduced in supermarkets.
It added that these systems should be managed by trained security staff where necessary.

It doesn't help when you have these kinds of headlines :
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/derbyshire-police-lockdown-fines-women-b765217.htmlhttps://www.standard.co.uk/news/pol...iles-downing-street-olympic-park-b827961.html
Now obviously it's a bit different, the nature of cycling even if you're a bit fat like Boris means you could be doing 7 miles each way in an hour of cycling. On the flip side, he has access to the garden in Buck House for running, and can afford a decent indoor bike with all the mod cons like Zwift/Peloton etc.

But how stupid/indifferent do you have to be that you can't see this kind of headline happening, and think about the effect that the perception of "one rule for them", has on ordinary people's willingness to comply with lockdowns?

I am surprised he can get to the end of the road with all the U turns he does

Latest posts

Back