Covid-19 the second wave.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had a weird rash on my toes since before Christmas. Doc gave me an anti-fungal cream which didn't do anything. Tried another with similar results.

Went to a dermatologist yesterday and he said it's "Covid toes". I had a positive antibody test in July and nothing since. He said its not unususal to have this or other symptoms come up months later.

Weird.

Toes aside, glad to hear you didn't have any if the more severe effects of the dreaded lurgy.

What I find as I await the test result is how I've managed to pick up any bug at all given all the social distancing I'm doing. Perhaps I caught it from mrs DOJ and she picked it up as a carer to her parents who picked it up from the council provided carers? Or a sweaty jogger that crossed the road while out on my bike... or....

as macron said when he got it... A moment of neglect?

EDIT: test result came back negative - I've told them they can keep the bit of my brain that was attached to the end of the swab ;)

Last edited:
View attachment 39600

Department of Health and Social Care
@DHSCgovuk

·
5m

#COVID19 VACCINE UPDATE: Daily figures on the number of people who have received a COVID-19 vaccine in the UK. As of 16 January, 3,559,179 people have received their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccination.

Got to say I am pleasantly surprised how well they are getting them in so far.. As the weeks tumble on I hope it starts to dwindle on the death count as it will not have much effect on the spread (regardless of whether the vaccine prevents spread or not).

Had to try and self test my 3 year daughter. Doubt I did it effectively but there you go.

We always found with kids to use a glove puppet, we had an evil glove puppet. It would bite the kids arms ( injections) and so forth, because it was a naughty puppet our kids were far more interested in slapping the naughty puppet than what ever the nurse was doing behind their backs. It also helped that the parent was not seen as the bad person helping to do the painful process. We started with it when they were tiddlers and it also helped the one focus his anger during a far more serious medical treatment.

Re. Fishing as good for mental wellbeing when socially distanced.

Headway Birmingham & Solihull, a charity which helps people living with brain injuries, runs regular fishing sessions, which were very popular with its clients.
"It encourages them to be more active and get some fresh air out in the countryside," she said.
"It also helps their motivation and mental wellbeing, giving them something to look forward to each week, something to talk about and a chance to form friendships with others who enjoy fishing too."

Sorry for bringing up an older thread, but I only found this today whist scrolling around.
That last sentence seems at odds with properly safe social distancing. How practically can,
" a chance to form friendships with others who enjoy fishing too."
safely be pursued socially distanced along a water's edge?
I don't want to be a killjoy, but is that person thinking straight? Or is it simply a misapplied previously prepared statement plucked from a time before Covid?
They should be more careful not to inadvertently give out the wrong message on safe distancing.

We always found with kids to use a glove puppet, we had an evil glove puppet. It would bite the kids arms ( injections) and so forth, because it was a naughty puppet our kids were far more interested in slapping the naughty puppet than what ever the nurse was doing behind their backs. It also helped that the parent was not seen as the bad person helping to do the painful process. We started with it when they were tiddlers and it also helped the one focus his anger during a far more serious medical treatment.
She is ok with injections. Sticking things down her throat and nose were slightly different

I am surprised that not many UK outlets are reporting the high number if deaths linked to the covid vaccine in the elderly. I read 23 in Norway.

It's very misleading to say that without the facts.

All of the people that have died in Norway after having the vaccine were very frail, some with advanced cancer and some already receiving end of life care.
Norway are now looking at who they give it to, the mild side effects that some people get, such as a mild fever or nausea, may be enough to push these elderly frail people over the edge.
Steinar Madsen, medical director of the Norwegian Medical Agency, has said "We are not alarmed by this. It is quite clear that these vaccines have very little risk, with a small exception for the frailest patients.
Those who are very frail and at the very end of life can be vaccinated only after an individual assessment."

Here's another "truth" that could scare people if you only read the headline, " 6 people died while on the Pfizer vaccine trials"
This is completely true, but....
44,00 were on the trials, 6 died, 4 of the 6 received the harmless saline placebo, they died of different unrelated things.
2 who received the vaccine died, one had a heart attack some time later, not his first.
The other died of arteriosclerosis, he would have been developing a long time before covid was on the scene.

The UK is on track to meet its target of offering a vaccine to every adult by September, and beating that would be a "bonus", the foreign secretary said.

Dominic Raab reiterated that the plan was to deliver 15 million jabs by mid-February and 17 million more by spring.
Asked about reports that every adult could be vaccinated by the end of June, he told the BBC: "If it can be done more swiftly, that's a bonus."
It comes as 24-hour vaccine centres are due to be piloted in the next ten days.
Mr Raab told the Andrew Marr Show that he was not aware of any delays to supplies from manufacturers Pfizer and AstraZeneca and said he was "confident we have the flexibility" to deliver enough doses.
"It is an enormous challenge. We are meeting it," he said. "But we take nothing for granted."
Saturday's figures showed a further 324,233 people received their first of two vaccine doses across the UK, taking the total above 3.5 million.
More people have now been vaccinated than have had positive tests since the pandemic began, with ten more mass vaccination sites due to open in England on Monday.

Mr Raab said the risk that new variants could prove resistant to vaccines or more deadly meant the UK had to take the "precautionary approach" of requiring all travellers to quarantine on arrival from Monday, closing the travel corridors which previously been exempt.
"We don't want to find in two or three weeks time that our vaccine roll out is imperilled because we haven't taken the precautionary measures on travel corridors," he said.
Checks by Border Force on the passenger locator forms filled out on arrival would be increased, Mr Raab said, as would the follow-up calls by Public Health England intended to ensure people were isolating for up to 10 days.
Asked whether the UK would introduce quarantine hotels to ensure people maintained their isolation, he said all potential measures were under review but there was a challenge in the "workability" of the proposal.

'Extreme pressure'
NHS England chief executive Sir Simon Stevens told the BBC some hospitals would open for vaccinations 24 hours a day, seven days a week on a trial basis in the next 10 days.
But he said hospitals and staff were under "extreme pressure", saying the pandemic was a "unique event" in the NHS's 72-year history.
Someone was being admitted to hospital with coronavirus every 30 seconds, Sir Simon said, and since Christmas patient numbers had risen by 15,000 - the equivalent of 30 full hospitals.
He said the number of critical care beds had been increase by 50% since the first wave of the pandemic but a "very small number" of patients were still having to be transferred between regions when hospitals were full.

There were sometimes three patients for every nurse in a critical care unit rather than the one-to-one ratio normally expected, he said. But they were receiving the "highest quality care possible".
About 53,000 NHS staff are currently off work due to the virus, he added.
"The good news is that at the moment we are vaccinating four times faster than people are newly catching coronavirus. But that ratio, we'll only be able to hold the line if people continue to do the right thing and prevent the transmission of coronavirus," Sir Simon said.
Vaccinating priority groups by the spring would not mean that "with one bound we are free" of coronavirus restrictions, he said. But he said: "I don't think we will have to wait until the autumn."
Sir Simon also warned that although starting with the most vulnerable groups reduced the risk of deaths, a quarter of hospital patients with the virus were currently under 50 - and therefore not in priority groups.

It's very misleading to say that without the facts.

All of the people that have died in Norway after having the vaccine were very frail, some with advanced cancer and some already receiving end of life care.
Norway are now looking at who they give it to, the mild side effects that some people get, such as a mild fever or nausea, may be enough to push these elderly frail people over the edge.
Steinar Madsen, medical director of the Norwegian Medical Agency, has said "We are not alarmed by this. It is quite clear that these vaccines have very little risk, with a small exception for the frailest patients.
Those who are very frail and at the very end of life can be vaccinated only after an individual assessment."

Here's another "truth" that could scare people if you only read the headline, " 6 people died while on the Pfizer vaccine trials"
This is completely true, but....
44,00 were on the trials, 6 died, 4 of the 6 received the harmless saline placebo, they died of different unrelated things.
2 who received the vaccine died, one had a heart attack some time later, not his first.
The other died of arteriosclerosis, he would have been developing a long time before covid was on the scene.

Firstly I am all for the vaccine and will be having it.

What I was pointing out is the selective reporting within the media. I was not misleading anyone. People can search and read the article themselves. 😘

The UK is on track to meet its target of offering a vaccine to every adult by September, and beating that would be a "bonus", the foreign secretary said

I wish they would stop making over optimistic promises/forecasts such as we were going to have a Christmas or we will have a world beating track and trace to name a couple.

Mrs Tea has had her vaccine she has a bit of a sore arm and she doesn't feel 100% but has gone to work, some of her workmates are having more severe side effects the worse cases so far are reporting feeling dizzy and run down and some are reporting having very sore arms (the ones they were jabbed in) which they are having difficulty moving.

I will still be at the front of the queue when my turn comes.

Last edited:
Covid-19: England delivering 140 jabs a minute, says NHS chief executive

People in England are being vaccinated four times faster than new cases of the virus are being detected, NHS England's chief executive has said.

Sir Simon Stevens told the BBC that 140 people a minute were now being given the jab, usually the first dose of two.
But he said the NHS had never been in a more precarious position, with 75% more Covid patients than at the April peak.
Cases were still rising in some areas and some age groups, including the over-60s, he said.
Sir Simon told the Andrew Marr Show some hospitals would open for vaccinations 24 hours a day, seven days a week on a trial basis in the next 10 days.
He said England was on course to deliver 1.5 million doses this week. Scotland has delivered a total of more than 224,000 first doses, Wales has given over 126,000 and Northern Ireland nearly 118,000 - although Scotland and Wales do not report figures at the weekend.
Half of all over-80s have now been vaccinated, Health Secretary Matt Hancock said. "Each jab brings us one step closer to normal," he said.
Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab told the BBC that the UK was making "good progress" in ensuring every adult was offered a vaccine by September and "if it can be done more swiftly, that's a bonus".

More people have now been vaccinated than have had positive tests since the pandemic began, with 10 more mass vaccination sites due to open in England on Monday.
Sir Simon said hospitals and staff were under "extreme pressure", however. Asked if the NHS has ever been in a more precarious situation, he said "no", adding that the pandemic was a "unique event" in its 72-year history.
Someone was being admitted to hospital with coronavirus every 30 seconds, Sir Simon said, and since Christmas patient numbers had risen by 15,000 - the equivalent of 30 full hospitals.
It means there are 75% more Covid-19 patients in hospital than there were in the April peak, the NHS chief executive said.
Although there were promising signs infection rates were falling, he said they were still too high and rising in some areas and age groups, including the over-60s.
He said the number of critical care beds had been increased by 50% since the first wave of the pandemic but a "very small number" of patients were still having to be transferred between regions when hospitals were full.

Asked about the ratio of nurses to patients in London intensive care units, Sir Simon said there were sometimes three patients for every nurse rather than the one-to-one ratio normally expected. But patients were receiving the "highest quality care possible".
About 53,000 NHS staff are currently off work due to the virus, he added.
Sir Simon said the health service would only be able to maintain the vaccination rate and "hold the line if people continue to do the right thing and prevent the transmission of coronavirus".
Vaccinating priority groups by the spring would not mean that "with one bound we are free" of coronavirus restrictions, he said. But he added: "I don't think we will have to wait until the autumn."
He said he suspected that there would be enough supply of the vaccine - "the crucial thing" - to begin lifting restrictions before then.

'Enormous challenge'
Sir Simon also warned that although starting with the most vulnerable groups reduced the risk of deaths, a quarter of hospital patients with the virus were currently under 55 - and therefore not a priority unless they have a medical condition that puts them at additional risk.
Asked about suggestions that some vaccination centres were having to throw away leftover doses, he said: "The guidance from the chief medical officer is crystal clear: every last drop of vaccine should be used."
Many centres were finding they were able to get six doses out of a five-dose vial, and Sir Simon said they should keep a reserve list of staff and high-risk patients who could be contacted to receive a vaccination at short notice.
Dr Rosie Shire from the Doctors' Association UK told the BBC that as well as sometimes getting six doses out of the five-dose Pfizer vials, they had also got 11 or 12 doses out of 10-dose AstraZeneca vials.
But she said the uncertain dose count made it harder to know how many last-minute appointments to book in order to use up the supply.

Ten new mass Covid vaccination centres are to open in England from Monday, as the government bids to meet its target of offering 15 million people in the UK a dose by 15 February.
Blackburn Cathedral and St Helens Rugby Ground are among the venues chosen to join the seven hubs already in use.
NHS England said the new centres would offer "thousands" of jabs a week.
It comes as a further 324,233 vaccine doses were administered across the UK, taking the total above 3.5 million.
As the latest figures were announced on Saturday, Prime Minister Boris Johnson tweeted his thanks to "everyone who is helping in this fantastic national effort".
More people (3.5 million) have now received a Covid vaccination in the UK than have tested positive (3.3 million) for the virus. However, it is believed there have been many more cases than have been recorded, as mass testing was not available during the first peak last spring.

The government has promised all the over-70s, the extremely clinically vulnerable and frontline health and care workers - about 15 million people - will be offered a jab by mid-February.
In a video call with NHS staff involved in the vaccine rollout, the Duke of Cambridge encouraged members of the public to get the jab.
"I know what a massive difference it's going to make for everyone," he said. "My grandparents had the vaccine and I'm really proud of them for doing that."

And the government urged the public to "play their part" in supporting "the largest vaccination programme in British history", including helping people attend their appointments.
Health Secretary Matt Hancock asked people to commit to three pledges to "help out", "join up" and "stay informed" during ongoing efforts to vaccinate, run clinical trials and share accurate health advice.

Where will the new mass vaccination centres be?
  • Bournemouth International Centre, Dorset
  • Taunton Racecourse, Somerset
  • Blackburn Cathedral, Lancashire
  • Salt Hill Activity Centre, Berkshire
  • Norwich Food Court, Norfolk
  • The Lodge in Wickford, Essex
  • Princess Royal Sports Arena, Boston, Lincolnshire
  • St Helens Rugby Ground, Merseyside
  • The park-and-ride at Askham Bar, York
  • Olympic Office Centre in Wembley, north London
The seven hubs already in use are in: Etihad Tennis Centre, Manchester; Epsom Downs Racecourse, Surrey; Robertson House, Stevenage; Centre for Life, Newcastle; Ashton Gate Stadium, Bristol; Millennium Point, Birmingham; ExCel, London.

Full article - Covid: 10 new mass vaccination centres to open in England

Mrs Tea has had her vaccine she has a bit of a sore arm and she doesn't feel 100% but has gone to work, some of her workmates are having more severe side effects the worse cases so far are reporting feeling dizzy and run down and some are reporting having very sore arms (the ones they were jabbed in) which they are having difficulty moving.

I will still be at the front of the cue when my turn comes.
My son had the astra zenica and said it felt a bit like a hangover. I should be ok then cos I don't get hangovers :cool:

Sir Simon Stevens head of NHS England has announced one person is being admitted to hospital with Covid every 30 seconds he is warning the hospitals are under severe pressure as its busier than the peak last April.

Firstly I am all for the vaccine and will be having it.

What I was pointing out is the selective reporting within the media. I was not misleading anyone. People can search and read the article themselves. 😘
I'm not saying you were deliberately misleading people, but that it is/can be misleading to only print a "headline" without a follow up.
Someone could read a headline, a week later they're talking to someone on facebook, then it becomes "I read the vaccine is killing hundreds" 50 people will read that, and all of a sudden it's thousands dying.
There are so many conspiracy theorists out there that latch onto this kind of thing, twist it around and start spreading it on social media. Then all of a sudden, right minded rational people become scared of the vaccine.
Getting back to your reason for posting in the first place, I don't know if it was reported on the TV, I may have missed it, but it has been widely reported in the newspapers.
I also wanted to blow you a kiss back but I don't know how too on my laptop.

I'm not saying you were deliberately misleading people, but that it is/can be misleading to only print a "headline" without a follow up.
Someone could read a headline, a week later they're talking to someone on facebook, then it becomes "I read the vaccine is killing hundreds" 50 people will read that, and all of a sudden it's thousands dying.
There are so many conspiracy theorists out there that latch onto this kind of thing, twist it around and start spreading it on social media. Then all of a sudden, right minded rational people become scared of the vaccine.
Getting back to your reason for posting in the first place, I don't know if it was reported on the TV, I may have missed it, but it has been widely reported in the newspapers.
I also wanted to blow you a kiss back but I don't know how too on my laptop.
Only those with special powers can blow kisses.
And I never quoted anything.

Back