Covid Passports

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you think Covid Passports should be implemented?

• No

Votes: 24 34.3%
  • Yes for Carers

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • Yes to entertainment venues, pubs, restaurants

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • Yes for foreign travel

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • Yes for all

Votes: 21 30.0%

• Total voters

Cheshire Cat

Landlord.
Reaction score
Should the so called passports be introduced in the UK or are they impinging our liberties?

Fine for international travel, utterly utterly ludicrous for anything domestically. Dragging some previously tin foil hat conspiracies right into the foreground.

The "freedom loving" people of the UK cheering on the Police as they beat up women at vigils and tell lies about officers being hurt in Bristol, and shrugging their shoulders as society is torn up and reimagined with a distinctly authoritarian streak is such an embarrassment that it would be funny, if it wasn't a gateway drug for the type of world that we used to laugh at folks for claiming we were headed to.

I would be in favour of it as it would provide a temporary safety net that will protect millions from this terrible disease and allow lives to return to something resembling normality. Thirty seconds to present a document is a small price to pay, if it helps keep us all safe.

My only provision would be that it makes concession for those unable to receive the vaccination due to medical condition or age group.

Most young people are used to carrying id cards now and being asked to prove their age. Seems like it's just us oldies who don't like the idea but we carry our passports when abroad in countries where you have to carry id.

I would be for it as a temporary way to get us out of this pandemic. 2 years max.

My only provision would be that it makes concession for those unable to receive the vaccination due to medical condition or age group.

If they are going to let people in who haven't had the jab there is no point in having passports.

There is a difference between those who can't have the jab and those who refuse to have it.

While i agree with that statement i still say if you are going to let people in who haven't had the jab (for whatever reason) you might as well not bother with passports.

Surely you can only introduce such a system once everyone has been offered the jab. If you introduced it now you have a lot of old people in the bar who have had the jab being served by a bartender who probably hasn't

Surely you can only introduce such a system once everyone has been offered the jab. If you introduced it now you have a lot of old people in the bar who have had the jab being served by a bartender who probably hasn't

I think that would be the sensible approach (if passports are to go ahead) the problem is it'll be many months before we are all fully vaccinated.

I think that would be the sensible approach (if passports are to go ahead) the problem is it'll be many months before we are all fully vaccinated.
The other issue is if you start it now with nearly half the population not having been offered a jab and these being the younger more computer savvy element of society how long before we are flooded with fake passports or negative tests.

Just because you have a passport does not mean you are not carrying Coronavirus. You can test negative and 5 mins later pick it up. The AstraZeneca jab is not effective against the South African variant either so I can't see there being much point at this stage.

Just because you have a passport does not mean you are not carrying Coronavirus. You can test negative and 5 mins later pick it up. The

But if you are sharing space with people that have all been vaccinated the chance of you becoming infected are very small, if businesses wait until we are all vaccinated they won't have a business left.

But if you are sharing space with people that have all been vaccinated the chance of you becoming infected are very small, if businesses wait until we are all vaccinated they won't have a business left.
Well there doesn't seem to be much support for it, from what I have seen the licensed trade are mainly against the idea. As for me, well I'm not interested in sitting outside a pub unless it is really warm and I won't be venturing inside one until I have had my 2nd jab at the earliest. A passport is fine by me and I would be okay with carrying one, and knowing everyone else inside the pub, including barstaff had one would certainly make me feel slightly more secure.

For foreign travel, absolutely should be issued like a visa, stamped passport, nobody used to complain about needing certain jabs for foreign travel previously.

People arriving un the UK from abroad need to quarantine and get tested on arrival. And quite right too.

Covid 'passports' for foreign travel? Certainly. And I'm sure some businesses (I'm thinking for example cinemas here) would probably welcome it. For pubs, it's not so straightforward.

Why would you go in a pub full non vaccinated people I won’t. Passports are a short term fix for a catch 22 situation.

Well there doesn't seem to be much support for it, from what I have seen the licensed trade are mainly against the idea.

I haven't really looked into it why would the licence trade be against it is it because they would rather just open as usual and **** the consequences?

I haven't really looked into it why would the licence trade be against it is it because they would rather just open as usual and **** the consequences?
I have only seen a bit on BBC news where they have interviewed a few publicans and the CEO of some trade association but they were saying it was unworkable as here from the BBC:

The boss of Young's pubs said requiring vaccine passports would be "unworkable", while Greene King and the City Pub Group also voiced their opposition to any such measure.
The chief executive of the Shepherd Neame pub chain said asking pub-goers to show vaccine passports was a "fairly poorly thought out idea" he would not be adopting.
Jonathan Neame told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "It's absolutely fine to exclude people where there is a situation of bad behaviour or drunkenness, and that's already enshrined in law.
"But if you're going to exclude people for what they are, or what they have not done, that's a wholly different issue which does touch on discrimination, civil liberties, and in this case data protection issues."
Emma McClarkin, chief executive of the British Beer and Pub Association, said the industry was "very nervous" about the "damage" such a measure could do to it and "the future of the Great British Pub".
She told BBC News: "They're asking us to enforce this at each venue and that's impossible for some of our venues to do - particularly our smaller community pubs in rural locations."

Emma McClarkin, chief executive of the British Beer and Pub Association, said the industry was "very nervous" about the "damage" such a measure could do to it and "the future of the Great British Pub".

They don't actually say why its unworkable its OK saying its a badly worked out idea but they haven't said why seems a bit like sticking their heads into the sand to me, are they prepared to wait several months until we have all had the second jab before they agree to open, a lot of the small pubs will be gone by then maybe that's what the big boys want?

Opening pubs and restaurants not knowing if the customers are COVID free is crazy. The options are stays closed until full vaccination or some way of ensuring safety.

Spot on Chippy that's the real reason just like when they opened up last time the landlords where trying to get as much revenue back from the lockdown at whatever costs and we all know what happened.
I am sorry for businesses and the responsible landlords but my family health and my family freedom to go about our lives are more important that seeing people stumbling drunk all over each other spreading the virus. Most of these types do not even have the decency to wear a mask/properly in supermarkets. I see so many especially young people not wearing or using those lanyards that can be bought off Fleabay through selfishness or it spoiling their look or makeup.
Sorry that was a rant

Latest posts

Back