Covid - Plan B & Omicron

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last week a commons select committee found deaths occurred because of the government's failure to respond to do what was needed previously. So we are now in a situation where we are seeing 40000 new cases a day while most comparable European counties are under 2000 yet they refuse to contemplate even introducing even simple measures like masks probable to pacify the far right of their party who believe imposing masks is like Nazi Germany. Nazi Germany was one of the biggest crimes against humanity ever, wearing masks is just a slight inconvenience. Morocco has put us on their red list that tells you a lot.

It's doom and gloom on the radio this morning figures are claiming rules on mask wearing are being discussed again which in my view shold never have been relaxed and a Christmas lock down is being predicted.

How are things in your area?
I may be odd but I don't worry too much about such illnesses. The only certainties in this life are taxes, football and pop music questions in pub quizzes and of course, death. The 'flu strain which hit just after WW1 is reputed to have killed more people than the war itself and that was certainly one heck of a bloodbath. But, we are told, nobody died of 'flu since covid. I'm no conspiracy theory enthusiast but today's world does appear to love having something to be hysterical about. I am aware my view doesn't fit with the present thinking so there's little point in telling me so. Lockdowns foster more of the same because infections decrease when people don't have contact and lo! they spread again once they're lifted. There has to be a more sensible, maybe pragmatic and less emotive way. However it does give us a taste of what biological warfare is about. Statistically the effects, while uncomfortable, last far less time than ordinary 'flu and only a very small percentage die from it. My bridge partner had 'flu in his late 70s and was bedridden for four months. A xmas lockdown is something I have thought hugely likely for some time now, so this does not surprise me. One way might be for the restrictions to apply to all and not exclude certain groups who gathered in massive numbers last year to destroy statues for instance; while two young women keeping well apart were harassed by the police when they went walking in a rural area with a flask of tea. You ask about our areas: Powys is low in incidents largely because most of the living beings have 4 legs, butl I'm sure Mr Drakeford will be keen to once again bring the Welsh economy to a standstill. I think the effect on the economy - which we are now seeing - will be far more reaching to many more people than the virus itself.

It's an understaffed profession facing a surge in demand. I read recently that in the UK we have 0.6 GPs per 1000 people, whereas in the EU they have 3. Not surprising that ours need to use their time efficiently.
I understand our GPs now work 3 days a week.

In Wales we are on plan b and cases continue to rise.
Most cases are the 10-19 age group and then being passed into their parents in the 40-49 group. The parents could be double vaccinated and still getting it.
My understanding is the vaccine doesn't stop you getting it nor passing it on.

If you have had 2 jabs your chance of getting it are reduced to 20% and your chance of it leading to a hospital visit and it killing you are much less than if you haven't been vaccinated.

Are there any published death rates between the vaccinated and non vaccinated?

Here's a god visual representation although it's from the USA, similar will apply everywhere.

vac vs no vac.jpg

That's come out really small, the three levels of colour are cases, hospitalisations, deaths.

Just to add a different perspective, here in NZ we have just broken our record case numbers per day ( gone triple digit ) 102 cases. Government doesn't actually have the word plan in their dictionary. Have adopted a keep it out, we'll be all right policy, now scrabbling round encouraging vaccine and have done nothing to increase hospital resources that will be necessary, ventilators etc.
They've parked an ambulance at the bottom of the cliff and stood at the top of the cliff with their eyes shut and their ears closed as the lemmings are running at them.
Nose poking out, chin wearing mask users should be fined.

Where I live currently or down the road only 50% have had a single dose!!! These are heavily asian populations that still seem to not want to take it.

I will be moving in 2 weeks to somewhere vastly different

All this talk of masks in supermarkets and "taking personal responsibility" is all just a distraction from how badly the government is failing kids, who have little choice in the matter. Right now this is primarily an epidemic in teenagers, who are bringing it home from school and giving it to their parents and young siblings. What needs to happen :

Vaccinate kids - 83% of 12-15's aren't jabbed.
Requiring teachers to wear masks can cut infections by 37%
Use CO2 monitors to identify areas in school that need better ventilation, and ventilate (same study saw ventilation cut infection by another 35%)
Air filtration - it would only cost £10-20 per child to install portable HEPA filtration which can make a dramatic difference to viral load indoors, even DIY MERV-13 filters can make a big difference, students in San Diego built a bunch to protect themselves in class.

All this is doable and would make a huge difference in the main group that is spreading this at the moment.

Also we need to end the focus on deaths as the only consideration. If 10-20% of infectees get long Covid, then that's a huge burden of illness. I've got it pretty mildly and it's still not nice some 18 months on, but you could get something like this guy :

1634813495729.png

it’s also true that it doesn’t do me much good if I get hit by a bus (or have a heart attack or Stoke) if the intensive care is filled up with the unvaccinated.

I suggest avoiding the Potteries altogether, if Stoke doesn't get you then Burslem will make you lose all will to live.

It vastly reduces the risk of death or serious illness, and it roughly halves the risk of transmitting it to others. Not perfect, but still a big improvement.

There is no magic bullet for this kind of thing, it's about stacking several different measures which cut your risk down to manageable levels. Masks don't work 100%, vaccines don't work 100%, avoiding unnecessary crowds and close contact doesn't work 100%. But together they cut risk to a tolerable level for most people.

All this talk of masks in supermarkets and "taking personal responsibility" is all just a distraction from how badly the government is failing kids, who have little choice in the matter. Right now this is primarily an epidemic in teenagers, who are bringing it home from school and giving it to their parents and young siblings. What needs to happen :

Vaccinate kids - 83% of 12-15's aren't jabbed.
Requiring teachers to wear masks can cut infections by 37%
Use CO2 monitors to identify areas in school that need better ventilation, and ventilate (same study saw ventilation cut infection by another 35%)
Air filtration - it would only cost £10-20 per child to install portable HEPA filtration which can make a dramatic difference to viral load indoors, even DIY MERV-13 filters can make a big difference, students in San Diego built a bunch to protect themselves in class.

All this is doable and would make a huge difference in the main group that is spreading this at the moment.

Also we need to end the focus on deaths as the only consideration. If 10-20% of infectees get long Covid, then that's a huge burden of illness. I've got it pretty mildly and it's still not nice some 18 months on, but you could get something like this guy :

View attachment 56057

I suggest avoiding the Potteries altogether, if Stoke doesn't get you then Burslem will make you lose all will to live.

It vastly reduces the risk of death or serious illness, and it roughly halves the risk of transmitting it to others. Not perfect, but still a big improvement.

There is no magic bullet for this kind of thing, it's about stacking several different measures which cut your risk down to manageable levels. Masks don't work 100%, vaccines don't work 100%, avoiding unnecessary crowds and close contact doesn't work 100%. But together they cut risk to a tolerable level for most people.

And then hey presto! a new strain comes slong imported from overseas because we must accommodate anyone in the world. And certain privileged groups are allowed to do as they please while the rest of us are under house arrest. . I just struggle to take it all seriously against the backdrop of preferring to avoid charges of racism or pro-colonialism rather than saying the rules apply to everyone.

Over here it's masks in any shop or interior public space. If you want to sit in or outside at a café or restaurant or visit a museum or the like it's a quick scan of your passe sanitaire on your smartphone or on paper. It's no big deal, it takes hardly any time and it's reassuring to know that the people you're rubbing shoulders with have all been checked out too. In short, it's far, far too early to abandon all precautions and the UK have made a bug gamble for the sake of political expediency. Well the gamble hasn't paid off, but, regrettably, it's not the T S who have to pay the piper.

And then hey presto! a new strain comes slong imported from overseas because we must accommodate anyone in the world. And certain privileged groups are allowed to do as they please while the rest of us are under house arrest. . I just struggle to take it all seriously against the backdrop of preferring to avoid charges of racism or pro-colonialism rather than saying the rules apply to everyone.
As for this new strain or so called "sub strain" (wtf is a sub-strain?) I don't believe a word of it. It's something that's been cooked up to explain away why the UK now has the highest rate of infection in the world.

Where I live currently or down the road only 50% have had a single dose!!! These are heavily asian populations that still seem to not want to take it.

I will be moving in 2 weeks to somewhere vastly different
That's mainly because they have been allowed to do as they please with regard to our laws and customs for so long they feel this doesn't apply to them either. Having said that, I have so far chosen to avoid the vaccination. I'm not simply anti-vax or anything like that: I have my reasons.

I know but still no vaccination passport or compulsory mask wearing, we are again a shambles, led by donkeys and the corrupt.
It doesn't worry me too much but then I don't succumb to fear or panic very easily. Whether that be a weakness or a strength I know not but at least it does save a lot of worry. I would hazard a guess that large numbers of people are going to perish this winter from starvation or hypothermia, never mind covid.

If you have had 2 jabs your chance of getting it are reduced to 20% and your chance of it leading to a hospital visit and it killing you are much less than if you haven't been vaccinated.
So they say. It all seems rather vague to me. And a drug rushed through so quickly too; I can understand why amid all the panic but on average a new drug is tested for about 6 years before being approved for use. Anyhow I regard it as a matter of personal choice and for me in my own circumstances so far i remain unvaccinated. BTW are you from Ulverston? I went there a few times, back in the late 80s for a Laurel and Hardy bash (dis) organised by a chap called Bill Cubin. Is he still around? he ran a sort of L & H museum in the town I recall?

That's mainly because they have been allowed to do as they please with regard to our laws and customs for so long they feel this doesn't apply to them either. Having said that, I have so far chosen to avoid the vaccination. I'm not simply anti-vax or anything like that: I have my reasons.
You're accusing Asian descended people of ignoring our rules but you are doing the same. People in glass houses......

Last week a commons select committee found deaths occurred because of the government's failure to respond to do what was needed previously. So we are now in a situation where we are seeing 40000 new cases a day while most comparable European counties are under 2000 yet they refuse to contemplate even introducing even simple measures like masks probable to pacify the far right of their party who believe imposing masks is like Nazi Germany. Nazi Germany was one of the biggest crimes against humanity ever, wearing masks is just a slight inconvenience. Morocco has put us on their red list that tells you a lot.
I wouldn't be surprised if large numbers were to die this winter from starvation and/or hypothermia, thanks to all governments' failure over recent decades to recognise the need for the UK to be self-sufficient in reliable and affordable energy. It's what largely separates the 3rd world from the 1st. Open up our coal mines where we have reserves to last 300-400 years. That would give the boffins plenty of time to crack nuclear fusion which is the best long term solution. Pulling the carpet from under everyone's feet as has just happened is simply reckless and dangerous. More so than covid, for the effects of the energy situation will seriously affect everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back