Covid - Plan B & Omicron

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anecdotally it sounds like the booster booking process is a bit chaotic - I've heard stories of "the system" booking people in at 179 days and then being turned down on arrival because it should have been 180 days, and then it seems to have been changed to "six months plus a week".

In separate news, I tried to get my (pre-booked) flu jab today and it hadn't been delivered...

All the best DoJ. Hope all goes well.
cheers, if I don't make it mrs DOJ has been instructed to split my stash between 3 people who love my beers :laugh8:

Question is should I really try the vocation imperial banana stout before the op just in case? :?: I know the kirsch version is awesome. I also have a vocation tipa I've not yet tried.

cheers, if I don't make it mrs DOJ has been instructed to split my stash between 3 people who love my beers :laugh8:

Question is should I really try the vocation imperial banana stout before the op just in case? :?: I know the kirsch version is awesome. I also have a vocation tipa I've not yet tried.
Why are you even asking?

The general recommendations from informed medics and epidemiologists I have heard are this:
The third Covid jab is not an optional extra, it is just the next necessary stage in the vaccination programme.
There will be more.
This virus is with us for the foreseeable future, so we need to regularly update our immunity, as it 'changes its coat'.
Much more so than even annual 'flu jabs.
It's the unvaccinated that are the vast majority of the seriously ill with Covid occupying ITU beds for some time now.
Sad, but true.

I’m sure I heard Princess Nicola address the Scottish Parliament yesterday, and say that the ITU bed occupancy was shifting from the young, back to the more elder age range. It was one of the reasons why the booster campaign was implemented.

My booster should be due in mid November, no problems taking another shot in the arm. Hardly felt the first two and only suffered an achy arm for a couple of days.

Double jabbed people are catching Covid and passing it on to those they live with, warn experts who have studied UK household cases.
Individuals who have had two vaccine doses can be just as infectious as those who have not been jabbed.
Even if they have no or few symptoms, the chance of them transmitting the virus to other unvaccinated housemates is about two in five, or 38%.
This drops to one in four, or 25%, if housemates are also fully vaccinated.
The Lancet Infectious Diseases work shows why getting even more people vaccinated and protected is important, they say.
Unvaccinated people cannot rely on those around them being jabbed to remove their risk of getting infected, they warn.
Vaccines do an excellent job of preventing serious Covid illness and deaths, but are less good at stopping infections, particularly since the emergence of the more infectious Delta variant which is dominant in the UK.
And over time, the protection offered by vaccines wanes and needs boosting with further doses.

Since households are where most Covid transmission occurs, making sure every member who is eligible for a vaccine has had one and is up to date with their doses makes sense, say experts.
According to the study, which ran from September 2020 to September 2021 and included 440 households in London and Bolton doing PCR Covid tests:
  • People who are double jabbed have a lower, but still appreciable, risk of becoming infected with the Delta variant compared with unvaccinated people
  • They also appear to be just as infectious
  • Vaccinated people clear the infection more quickly, but their peak viral load - when people are most infectious - is similar to that seen in unvaccinated people
  • This may explain why they can still readily pass on the virus in household settings
Prof Ajit Lalvani, of Imperial College London, UK, who co-led the study, said: "The ongoing transmission we are seeing between vaccinated people makes it essential for unvaccinated people to get vaccinated to protect themselves from acquiring infection and severe Covid-19, especially as more people will be spending time inside in close proximity during the winter months.
"We found that susceptibility to infection increased already within a few months after the second vaccine dose - so those eligible for booster shots should get them promptly."
Co-lead Dr Anika Singanayagam, also from Imperial, said: "Our findings provide important insights into the effect of vaccination in the face of new variants, and specifically, why the Delta variant is continuing to cause high Covid case numbers around the world, even in countries with high vaccination rates.
"Continued public health and social measures to curb transmission - such as mask wearing, social distancing, and testing - thus remain important, even in vaccinated individuals."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59077036

Double jabbed people are catching Covid and passing it on to those they live with, warn experts who have studied UK household cases.
Individuals who have had two vaccine doses can be just as infectious as those who have not been jabbed.
Even if they have no or few symptoms, the chance of them transmitting the virus to other unvaccinated housemates is about two in five, or 38%.
The Lancet Infectious Diseases work shows why getting even more people vaccinated and protected is important, they say.
Unvaccinated people cannot rely on those around them being jabbed to remove their risk of getting infected, they warn.
Vaccines do an excellent job of preventing serious Covid illness and deaths, but are less good at stopping infections, particularly since the emergence of the more infectious Delta variant which is dominant in the UK.
And over time, the protection offered by vaccines wanes and needs boosting with further doses.

Since households are where most Covid transmission occurs, making sure every member who is eligible for a vaccine has had one and is up to date with their doses makes sense, say experts.
According to the study, which ran from September 2020 to September 2021 and included 440 households in London and Bolton doing PCR Covid tests:
  • People who are double jabbed have a lower, but still appreciable, risk of becoming infected with the Delta variant compared with unvaccinated people
  • They also appear to be just as infectious
  • Vaccinated people clear the infection more quickly, but their peak viral load - when people are most infectious - is similar to that seen in unvaccinated people
  • This may explain why they can still readily pass on the virus in household settings
Prof Ajit Lalvani, of Imperial College London, UK, who co-led the study, said: "The ongoing transmission we are seeing between vaccinated people makes it essential for unvaccinated people to get vaccinated to protect themselves from acquiring infection and severe Covid-19, especially as more people will be spending time inside in close proximity during the winter months.
"We found that susceptibility to infection increased already within a few months after the second vaccine dose - so those eligible for booster shots should get them promptly."
Co-lead Dr Anika Singanayagam, also from Imperial, said: "Our findings provide important insights into the effect of vaccination in the face of new variants, and specifically, why the Delta variant is continuing to cause high Covid case numbers around the world, even in countries with high vaccination rates.
"Continued public health and social measures to curb transmission - such as mask wearing, social distancing, and testing - thus remain important, even in vaccinated individuals."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59077036
Why did we get vaccinated for then......

Why did we get vaccinated for then......

As the article states -

Has anyone had the booster?

Do you intend to get it when its your turn.

Will have mine on Sunday. I booked it as soon as I received the NHS text message. . . . . . . I find it hard to fathom why anybody of sound mind would not take the opportunity to maximise the protection that a vaccine gives - even if it's not 100%.
PS - I have a needle phobia, but I will still do it despite the possibility that I might end up in a crumpled heap on the floor.

Sky also seem quite upbeat about this small scale trial of Fluvoxamine.

Cheap antidepressant pill could reduce COVID hospital admissions by a third
Research has suggested fluvoxamine, a pill used for depression and OCD, could save the lives of coronavirus patients and reduce hospital admissions by 32%.
A team of Canadian scientists gave the pill to 738 randomly selected COVID patients in Brazil, while another 733 received a placebo.
All the participants had been recently infected with coronavirus and were at risk of severe illness because of other health problems.
Those who received fluvoxamine were 32% less likely to be admitted to hospital than those in the placebo group, even if they didn't take the full course of the drug.
For those who took the pill for at least eight days of the 10-day course, there was an even bigger difference - with a 66% reduction in hospital admission and 91% drop in death rates.
The pill costs just £2.35 for a course of COVID treatment, making it much cheaper than other available coronavirus treatments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back