Covid the jab and the final stage.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The situation in hospitals has "stabilised" and staff are no longer having to plan for extra capacity, an intensive care doctor says.

But Rupert Pearse, from the Intensive Care Society, said it was going to be "another very hard year" and warned of the mental health impact on NHS staff.

"I've never been in the Army but I imagine it's a little bit like a second tour of duty," he said.

The second wave has seen higher numbers of Covid patients in UK hospitals.

There are currently 34,783 people in hospital in the UK. In the peak of the first wave in April 2020 there were 21,684 Covid patients in hospital.

There are 3,832 people on ventilators, according to the latest government data.

Full article - Covid: Hospitals 'stable' but 'another hard year ahead'

1612104757579.png

And don't forget there will be a third wave - as happened with the Spanish flu - though hopefully, due to vaccination of high risk groups hospitalisations and deaths will be much reduced.

My mrs had the pfyzer jab a couple of weeks ago but unfortunately can't go back to work as they told her they'd no idea if it would work as she's on imunosuppressive medication.

And don't forget there will be a third wave - as happened with the Spanish flu - though hopefully, due to vaccination of high risk groups hospitalisations and deaths will be much reduced.

We can only hope.

Have any members had the vaccine, which one did you have and how did it go?

I had the Pfizer vaccine before christmas, next one due in March. My arm the next day felt that it had been repeatedly stabbed with a screwdriver, by the day after it was fine. Thinking of doing some bank shifts in the coming weeks as a vaccinator up at the local vaccination centre, we need to get our jabs, the sooner this is done with and we can go to the pub, hug each other and talk about how **** the last 12 months have been the better.

My mrs had the pfyzer jab a couple of weeks ago but unfortunately can't go back to work as they told her they'd no idea if it would work as she's on imunosuppressive medication.

Well that's it, hopefully deaths will be much reduced, ITU beds will still be full though, where I work I would say the average age of those in ITU are in there 50's.

So partners Parents went to have their jabs today.

THey were a few hours apart but Dad had Pfyzer her mum had Oxford..

I said to the, on video chat this evening it will be interesting to see which one mutates the best

How will we know whether vaccines 1,2,3.or 4 are the one to have.

From what we can tell, they all work way better than we have any right to expect. So it's kind of like asking whether an Aston Martin or a Ferrari is the one to have.

Most of the differences are behind the scenes in terms of logistics, the Pfizer one is particularly fussy and needs -80C freezers so will likely only be offered by hospitals, the Oxford-Zeneca one only needs fridging so eg is easier to take out to care homes and GP surgeries and the like. Looking longer-term, the Johnson & Johnson looks a good bet for developing countries as it only needs one jab and is stable for up to 3 months in a fridge.

Just looking around, there seems to be increasing evidence that the vaccines work for a decent length of time, the only slight concern is how well they work against the South African and Brazilian mutations. Not enough data to say, it looks like they probably work OKish but use up the margin of error that the vaccines have over the "normal" virus. But Manaus had been so bad that it was being touted as the example of "if natural herd immunity is a thing, Manaus will be the place that we see it - and now it's seeing a second wave that as bad as anywhere which looks like the new variant ignoring immunity acquired from the first wave. Bit scary if true - at least with the modern vaccine technologies it's fairly quick to respond to new variants like that, Moderna are already testing a booster shot based on the South African variant.

So as I mentioned in a previous post I was contacted to have mine last weekend. Great service from our GPs, didn't really even the 10 minute wait in the queue outside in the cold and drizzle. Staff were so friendly and nice soon putting my needle fears at ease, few questions and then no hanging about, needle in and done. The had to sit in the car for 15 mins before heading home, would have walked there but the weather was grim 🙂

Had the AZ vaccine, sore arm came on fairly quickly and it's still a little tender today. Had a few drinks on the evening and then a cr*p nights sleep. Not a full on fever but just couldn't get my temperature right, covers off, covers on, and some weird dreams. Felt quite fatigued the next day which the lack of sleep probably didn't help with but still manged a walk of a few mile with the kids. Much better sleep last night and feel fine today, arm still slightly sore.

Bring on the next round 😁

Had the first of my family jabbed at the weekend - Pfizer, bit of soreness that prevented them sleeping on that side for a night, but otherwise fine.

One thing that it seems that they're not being great at is emphasising that it takes 2-3 weeks for the protection to kick in, so it's a good idea to gently remind any jabbed relatives about that - no partying down the bingo hall! At least for 3 weeks, and ideally for a week after the second jab.

It's all in the leaflet they give you - but people don't read leaflets when they should!

Last edited:
Had the first of my family jabbed at the weekend - Pfizer, bit of soreness that prevented them sleeping on that side for a night, but otherwise fine.
Aye, thats exactly what my Mrs had Saturday morning. She didn't tell me that, however, until she had said she was too 'flu-ey and achey' to get up and got me to make the breakfast. :laugh8:

Further confirmation that the Pfizer vaccine works from Israel, based on the results of 715,425 who'd gone a week after their second Pfizer jab. If you normalise to 100k people like the UK government does (currently UK is running at 287 infections per 100k per week), then 52 out of 100k with 2 jabs caught Covid and 2 ended up in hospital, compared to 917 out of 100k catching it who hadn't had a jab :

https://www.jpost.com/israel-news/i...sults-from-pfizer-vaccination-campaign-657051

This is a useful forecast from actuary John Roberts based on the progress made so far on jabs - on course to get first jabs into all over 70s and shielders within 2 weeks, all over 50s and at risks by early April and then second jabs done by late June. Assuming there's 100% takeup which there won't be, and hopefully there will be extra capacity which can be used for first jabs of workers in schools etc.
1612212429776.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back