Covid the jab and the final stage.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All 16 and 17-year-olds in the UK should be offered a first dose of the Covid jab, the UK's vaccine experts have recommended.
England, Wales and Northern Ireland have already confirmed they will expand their rollout, and Scotland is expected to do so.
Advice on when to offer the second dose will come later, the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation said.
The change in guidance means around 1.4 million teenagers will be eligible.
Prof Jonathan Van-Tam, England's deputy chief medical officer, said he expected the programme would start in "a very short number of weeks".
"There is no time to waste in getting on with this," he said. "I want us to proceed as fast as is practically possible."
The JCVI is a group of independent experts and their advice is a recommendation. It is then up to the governments of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland to put it into action.

Up until now, children over 12 are able to get a jab if they have certain health conditions, live with others who are at a high risk or are nearing their 18th birthday.
The only vaccine approved for those under-18 in the UK is Pfizer-BioNTech.
Some other countries have already been routinely vaccinating children over 12. The US has been doing so from May, as well as some European countries like France and Italy, after the EU gave them the go-ahead. Other countries that are vaccinating children include Brazil, Japan, Israel and Hong Kong.
Last month, the JCVI stopped short of opening up jabs to 16 and 17-year-olds as it wanted time to examine the risks and benefits, as well as reports of rare adverse effects such as inflammation of heart muscles.
The JCVI said earlier: "These are extremely rare and usually occur within a few days of the second dose, typically more in young men.
"Data from the USA suggests that, in males aged 12 to 17 years, 9.8 cases of myocarditis were reported per million first doses given. This rises to 67 per million after the second dose. Most people recovered quickly."
The JCVI said it expected one dose of the vaccine to give good protection against severe illness and hospitalisation in the 16 and 17 age group.
Prof Wei Shen Lim, who chairs the Covid part of the JCVI, said the change in advice wasn't just for the benefits to wider society. "Vaccination of children and young people can bring benefits to other people, such as adults and including parents and grandparents but, at the forefront, is the health and the benefits to children and young people themselves," he said.
Health Secretary Sajid Javid said he had asked the NHS in England to prepare to vaccinate those eligible "as soon as possible".
"The JCVI have not recommended vaccinating under-16s without underlying health conditions but will keep its position under review based on the latest data."

Covid: Jabs for 16 and 17-year-olds to start 'within weeks' - BBC News

So you didn’t watch the details about the court case he won that led to this ruling?

If it was after 49 seconds obviously not.

Anyone who thinks corvid is just mild flu and people don't need a vaccine really should give their heads a wobble , i hope non of these peoples family get Covid and die as they will have to live with that decision for the rest of their lives.

Last edited:
This is one of may instances of people not having the jab then going on to be very ill or worse die, if you want to believe Covid being a killer is BS and its nothing more harmful than mild flu fair enough you are entitled to that view all i can say is i couldn't wait to get my first and second jab and will have no second thoughts about having a booster when it is rolled out.

BBC news. (21July 2021)

The family of a 51-year-old man who died with Covid after opting not to be vaccinated are pleading with people to have their jabs.

Glenn Barratt, from Cleethorpes, is thought to have contracted the virus at a venue while watching England play against Croatia at Euro 2020.

All over 50s had been offered a jab by mid-April, but Ken Meech, Mr Barratt's cousin, said he chose not to have it.

Mr Meech said his cousin told nurses he regretted his decision.

"What we've gone through, and with Glenn deciding not to have the vaccine, and then saying he wished he had - we would encourage as many people as possible to have [it]."

He said Mr Barratt's father had also previously contracted coronavirus, but had been double-jabbed.

"He really wasn't that ill - so we believe it works," he added.

Mr Meech said his cousin was an avid Grimsby Town supporter, but had contracted the disease while cheering on England.

"He was out with his football team he helped coach and a few days later a few of them developed symptoms," he said.

He said his cousin - who he described as a "much-loved gentle giant" - became seriously ill and ended up in hospital.

"He did say to the nurse that he wished he'd had the jabs - and that was just before he was put into an induced coma," Mr Meech said.

"It's really sad and as a family we are trying to deal with that."

Mr Barratt's funeral is due to take place next week.

North East Lincolnshire, which covers Grimsby and Cleethorpes, recorded 1,018 cases per 100,000 people in the week 11 Jul-17 Jul. The average rate in England was 483 cases per 100,000.

Just over 80% of people in the region have had a first vaccine dose, with 65% having had both.

Last edited:
Why would you take the risk of losing £3,715 per couple i doubt many of us could afford that, stay at home FFS.

The transport secretary has defended changes to England's traffic light travel system, as one airline says it worked through the night to return Britons from red-listed Mexico.
Up to 6,000 British tourists are currently in the country, and those who want to avoid quarantine will need to return before 04:00 BST on Sunday.

'Simplified system'
On Thursday, Mr Shapps sought to reassure British holidaymakers that the traffic light system would now be reviewed every three weeks - compared with once a week last summer and more recent ad-hoc changes - because of the number of people in the UK and abroad who are fully vaccinated against Covid-19.
He told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "I hope people will be able to go away under this simplified system, enjoy their breaks and not be looking over their shoulders the whole time."
Mr Shapps said that between 5,000 and 6,000 British holidaymakers are in Mexico currently and would be "making arrangements to come home".
From 12 August, the cost of hotel quarantine will increase, with the price for single adult travellers rising from £1,750 to £2,285 and a second adult paying £1,430.

The government has said this better reflects the costs involved, including transport, security and PCR tests.
Children aged 5-12 will still cost £325; it is free for children aged under five.
British Airways said its teams had been "working through the night" to arrange additional seats out of Mexico and said customers could re-book their flights from Mexico "at no additional cost" ahead of the deadline.

Coronavirus: Transport secretary defends travel rule changes - BBC News

Why would anyone want to go abroad just now.
Business travel is an exception but "holidays" is another matter.

I am double jabbed but if just one of these people bring back a variant that gets around the vax then all will have been for naught.

I enjoy being alive thank you very much.

Its one thing to make the ultimate sacrifice for the good of the nation,Quite another however to sacrifice simply so someone can have a p*** up in the sun.

BF448336-4D92-403B-96B2-5F487BD3DEF5.jpeg

Well this has come as no surprise to me at all.

I’ve had both doses of vaccine and caught COVID off a friend watching the Euro final. We were all outside for most of the time apart from the last 20 minutes when it rained when we came inside but full full length bifold doors were still open. We never came with 2 metres of each other all night.
My daughter then caught it from me.

Last edited:
Why would you take the risk of losing £3,715 per couple i doubt many of us could afford that, stay at home FFS.

The transport secretary has defended changes to England's traffic light travel system, as one airline says it worked through the night to return Britons from red-listed Mexico.
Up to 6,000 British tourists are currently in the country, and those who want to avoid quarantine will need to return before 04:00 BST on Sunday.

'Simplified system'
On Thursday, Mr Shapps sought to reassure British holidaymakers that the traffic light system would now be reviewed every three weeks - compared with once a week last summer and more recent ad-hoc changes - because of the number of people in the UK and abroad who are fully vaccinated against Covid-19.
He told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "I hope people will be able to go away under this simplified system, enjoy their breaks and not be looking over their shoulders the whole time."
Mr Shapps said that between 5,000 and 6,000 British holidaymakers are in Mexico currently and would be "making arrangements to come home".
From 12 August, the cost of hotel quarantine will increase, with the price for single adult travellers rising from £1,750 to £2,285 and a second adult paying £1,430.

The government has said this better reflects the costs involved, including transport, security and PCR tests.
Children aged 5-12 will still cost £325; it is free for children aged under five.
British Airways said its teams had been "working through the night" to arrange additional seats out of Mexico and said customers could re-book their flights from Mexico "at no additional cost" ahead of the deadline.

Coronavirus: Transport secretary defends travel rule changes - BBC News
We travel via Chunnel when we go no mixing with anyone straight into our cottage in the forest. (we went safely last year) We are at a lower risk than holidaying in many parts of the uk as the dutch give you more space in our experience. We only have a small break of a few days certainly no more than 5 and so if there was a danger of Nethelands / Belgium turning to red its easier to get back via Chunnel than trying to return on a flight. Taking 10-14 day break abroad is risking a change in the red listed countries. We don't even stop in France as its only about 30 miles to the Belgian border, yet the advice generally given out focusses on air travel. We do stop twice, once for supermarket and once for beer. So its not as another poster says for a p*** up in the sun for us.

They didn't say if you have had both jabs you are 100% safe i think they said you have a 20% chance of catching it after both jabs but a lot higher chance of surviving it and highly likely you will not need to go to hospital.

I also dont like it when they use words like "may have implications" and "this is an early exploratory analysis" it smacks of scaremongering to me.

View attachment 52081

I’ve had both doses of vaccine and caught COVID off a friend watching the Euro final. We were all outside for most of the time apart from the last 20 minutes when it rained when we came inside but full full length bifold doors were still open. We never came with 2 metres of each other all night.
My daughter then caught it from me.
What is the source of this new information?

What is the source of this new information?

I think it's a reference to p35 of today's PHE variant briefing :
https://assets.publishing.service.g...ile/1009243/Technical_Briefing_20.pdf#page=35
In the NHS Test and Trace (NHSTT) case data, the mean and median lowest Ct values for all cases with Delta, where Ct data are available, since the 14 June 2021 are similar, with a median of 17.8 for unvaccinated and 18.0 for those with 2 vaccine doses (Figure 12). This means that whilst vaccination may reduce an individual’s overall risk of becoming infected, once they are infected there is limited difference in viral load (and Ct values) between those who are vaccinated and unvaccinated. Given they have similar Ct values, this suggests limited difference in infectiousness. To note, this analysis is undertaken on case data and are not age-stratified. Findings can be influenced by test-seeking behaviour, as well as true changes in the data, for example the age distribution of cases, which can also influence Ct values.

1628277486842.png

Why would anyone want to go abroad just now.
Business travel is an exception but "holidays" is another matter.

I am double jabbed but if just one of these people bring back a variant that gets around the vax then all will have been for naught.

I enjoy being alive thank you very much.

Its one thing to make the ultimate sacrifice for the good of the nation,Quite another however to sacrifice simply so someone can have a p*** up in the sun.
How about - to visit our daughter & grandchildren in Germany, who we haven't seen for over one year now? Not everyone wants to go for a holiday.

And, to be honest, we - the brits - are probably more of an issue to the Germans than vice-versa.

If it was after 49 seconds obviously not.

Anyone who thinks corvid is just mild flu and people don't need a vaccine really should give their heads a wobble , i hope non of these peoples family get Covid and die as they will have to live with that decision for the rest of their lives.
Well technically you could compare it to the flu, the problem is that people seem to forget how nasty flu can be. Over the past fifty years or so we have got better dealing with it, (vaccinations, anti virals, antibiotics to deal with bacterial pneumonia etc.) yet despite all this flu still kills ten to twenty thousand or so people each year. It is only thanks to modern medicine that we can consider flu a relatively mild disease for most people.

Well technically you could compare it to the flu, the problem is that people seem to forget how nasty flu can be. Over the past fifty years or so we have got better dealing with it, (vaccinations, anti virals, antibiotics to deal with bacterial pneumonia etc.) yet despite all this flu still kills ten to twenty thousand or so people each year. It is only thanks to modern medicine that we can consider flu a relatively mild disease for most people.
It’s a poor analogy though because COVID-19 - especially the delta variant - is much more transmissible than any strain of influenza we’ve seen for a century and it is hospitalising healthy people of all ages now whereas influenza tends to target the elderly.

The other big difference is 10-20% of infections leading to long Covid, which makes it closer to polio in some ways. I've got pretty mild long Covid, but it's still having significant effects on my personal and professional life.

Just on the viral load thing above - the big thing about vaccinations is that they stop you getting the viral load in the first place - and you also have that viral load for a shorter time, which means less transmission.

The other big difference is 10-20% of infections leading to long Covid, which makes it closer to polio in some ways. I've got pretty mild long Covid, but it's still having significant effects on my personal and professional life.

Just on the viral load thing above - the big thing about vaccinations is that they stop you getting the viral load in the first place - and you also have that viral load for a shorter time, which means less transmission.
While it’s largely here say I do remember reading that about 15 years after the Spanish Flu pandemic their was a sharp increase in levels of Parkinson’s. I am aware that correlation does not mean causation but it’s not unrealistic to assume that their may be some issues years down the line. COVID is something that I would rather avoid getting if I can avoid it (and I will be very happy when I get my second jab on Tuesday which should hopefully further move the odds in my favour).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back