Covid the jab and the final stage.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The youngest pupils are to return to Scotland's classrooms for face-to-face teaching from next week.

The move will see all children in P1 to P3 and those at pre-school returning from Monday 22 February.
Other age groups will continue to learn from home, apart from some secondary pupils who need to complete coursework.
First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said it was unlikely that any other pupils would return to school before 15 March at the earliest.
All other existing lockdown measures will all remain in place until at least the end of this month, with Ms Sturgeon warning that the country remains in a precarious position.
The EIS teaching union said it still had significant concerns over school safety which had not yet been addressed, and a blended learning model - with around half of pupils in classes at any one time - would have more appropriate.
The union's general secretary, Larry Flanagan, said: "Everyone is supportive of face-to-face teaching returning as soon as possible - that should not override safety concerns, however, and teachers will be understandably nervous around today's announcement."

The Scottish government will draw up a "revised strategic framework" - to be published next week - to set out how Scotland can exit lockdown and what conditions will need to be met before restrictions can be eased.
Ms Sturgeon said it was unlikely that hotels and holiday accommodation would be open again in time for people to book any sort of Easter break, but "staycations" may be possible by summer.
In an update at Holyrood, Ms Sturgeon said she had "more reason to be hopeful now than we did a few weeks ago" that the race against the virus could be won, with the vaccination programme picking up pace while lockdown contains the spread of new cases.

She said she was "very hopeful that vaccination will start to have a significant impact in reducing the number of people who die from Covid", saying there was already evidence of this in care homes.
However, the first minister warned that "our situation is still very fragile", saying: "Even a slight easing of restrictions could cause cases to start rising rapidly again".
While she said it would continue to be "extremely cautious", the government is focused on a "gradual, phased return to as much normality as possible".
This is to begin with schools, with the youngest pupils to return to classrooms as soon as next week.
But Ms Sturgeon said there would be trade-offs, adding: "We are choosing to use the very limited headroom we have right now to get at least some children back to school - because children's education and wellbeing is such a priority.
"But being able to get children back to education may mean the rest of us living with some other restrictions for longer."

Full article - Covid in Scotland: Youngest pupils to return to classrooms

Scientists have identified another new variant of coronavirus in the UK with some potentially troubling mutations.

B.1.525 appears similar to the South African variant which prompted door-to-door tests in areas where it has been found.
Researchers from Edinburgh University have found 38 cases so far - 2 in Wales and 36 in England - in samples dating back to December.
It has been seen in other countries, including Denmark, Nigeria and the US.
UK experts are studying it to understand what risk it poses.
It is too soon to say if it should be added to the UK's list of "variants of concern" and whether mass testing for it should happen. So, for now, it is a "variant under investigation".

Prof Ravi Gupta, from the University of Cambridge, is one of the scientists advising the government on new and emerging virus threats.
He said B.1.525 appeared to have "significant mutations" already seen in some of the other new variants.
"That is partly reassuring because we can predict what their likely effect is."
Prof Yvonne Doyle from Public Health England (PHE) said: "PHE is monitoring data about emerging variants very closely and where necessary public health interventions are being undertaken, such as extra testing and enhanced contact tracing.
"There is currently no evidence that this set of mutations causes more severe illness or increased transmissibility."

Full article - Another new coronavirus variant seen in the UK

1613501037155.png

I just got an appointment unexpectedly for a jab. I got a text which I thought was a scam, not having a smart phone I typed the address into google and expecting it to ask for payment or something I ended up booking for a week today. I'm only 43 but they must have me down as vulnerable due to having a brain tumour 25 years ago. I feel a bit bad I'm jumping the queue but they seem to have almost every time available still.

My daughter has a friend who is working in admin at one of the vaccination centres. Once the vaccine is taken out of the freezers it has a very limited life and towards the end of the day they work out what they have surplus and there is a mad rush to get people from the same or the next category in but the bottom line is they don't want to throw any out so the last few may be quite random.
that's why if you are taking someone for a jab go at the end of the day, although i'm not sure you should drive afterwards...

I just got an appointment unexpectedly for a jab. I got a text which I thought was a scam, not having a smart phone I typed the address into google and expecting it to ask for payment or something I ended up booking for a week today. I'm only 43 but they must have me down as vulnerable due to having a brain tumour 25 years ago. I feel a bit bad I'm jumping the queue but they seem to have almost every time available still.

Hope it goes well, i wouldn't feel guilty if they sent for me i would assume they got it right and i was entitled.

Covid: Extra 1.7m vulnerable added to shielding list

There is to be a large expansion of the number of people being asked to shield in England.

An extra 1.7 million people are expected to be added to the 2.3 million already on the list.
Half of the group have not yet been vaccinated so will now be prioritised urgently by their local GPs.
It comes after a new model was developed that takes into account extra factors rather than just health.
This calculation includes things such as ethnicity, deprivation (by postcode) and weight to work out a person's risk of becoming seriously ill if they were to catch Covid.
It also looks at age, underlying health issues and prescribed medications.
Until now, only those with specific conditions or undergoing certain types of treatment have been advised to shield until 31 March.
They include adults with Down's Syndrome, organ donor recipients and people with severe respiratory conditions.
The new model was developed following work by Oxford University which looked at the characteristics of people who died in the first wave to better understand risk.
Medical records have been searched to identify high-risk patients, based on their combined risk factors.
They are now being sent letters by the NHS informing of them of their new status, which means they are entitled to statutory sick pay, prioritisation for online shopping slots and help collecting medicines.

Full article - Covid: Extra 1.7m vulnerable added to shielding list

that's why if you are taking someone for a jab go at the end of the day, although i'm not sure you should drive afterwards...

I had my jab last week and drove there and back there was no mention of driving restrictions in fact the car park was so full it took me 10mins to park.
You did have to sit for 15mins before they let you leave.

I have been critical of the way the government have handled this crisis but from what I have seen including my own experience they have got the vaccination plan right. My age group 65-70 were originally due to be vaccinated end of Feb to mid March but my area, Essex, seem well ahead.

Had my first Pfizer jab yesterday, I’m 49 and have health issue, woken up with a bad headache and bad arm but I’ve had this with flu jab before, organisation at hospital was proper job!

There's a tweet floating around twitter this morning about a chap who got called for his jab, and couldn't really work out why, as he's in his 30's and fit and healthy. He didn't want to jump the queue, so he rang his surgery and asked why. Turned out, they had his height in their system as 6.2cm rather than 6' 2'', so his BMI calculated out as 20,000 or something. :laugh8: :laugh8: :laugh8: . Made me chuckle out loud, that did.

There's a tweet floating around twitter this morning about a chap who got called for his jab, and couldn't really work out why, as he's in his 30's and fit and healthy. He didn't want to jump the queue, so he rang his surgery and asked why. Turned out, they had his height in their system as 6.2cm rather than 6' 2'', so his BMI calculated out as 20,000 or something. :laugh8: :laugh8: :laugh8: . Made me chuckle out loud, that did.
Saw that. Bmi of 28000.
Makes sense, so many getting it when they don't typically fit the criteria.

Covid-19: World's first human trials given green light in UK

Healthy, young volunteers will be infected with coronavirus to test vaccines and treatments in the world's first Covid-19 "human challenge" study, which will take place in the UK

The study, which has received ethics approval, will start in the next few weeks and recruit 90 people aged 18-30.

They will be exposed to the virus in a safe and controlled environment while medics monitor their health.

The UK has given doses of a Covid vaccine to more than 15 million people.

Human challenge studies have played a vital role in pushing the development of treatments for a number of diseases, including malaria, typhoid, cholera and flu.

Full article - Covid-19: World's first human trials given green light in UK

I'm 64 and got a text 2 days ago to book the jab from my doctor's surgery. I'm booked for 9 this Friday. My partner is 62, with a different surgery, she got a phone call today and she's booked in Monday. Neither of us have underlying medical conditions.

It seems you're in the right place you should be. Someone like myself (40, no major illnesses) would rightfully feel like they are jumping. I don't think you are

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back