Covid the jab and the final stage.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Andy Burnham gives his view on twitter -

Andy Burnham
@AndyBurnhamGM

I know there are different views on this.
But the Government is in danger of looking like it is only listening to the loudest voices on the subject of masks.

It's common sense to ease restrictions but continue with masks until we reach a much higher level double vaccination. Another poor judgment call.

The problem is people are still phoning 5 live saying they are going to carry on wearing a mask to stop getting Covid, after all these months and all the info that is out thre these people still think the mask stops you getting it not you spreading it, there really is no hope.

I will make a prediction common sense will not prevail people will mix with no mask and the rate of infection will soar, we will be back in lock down before Christmas.

I hope i am wrong.

Former Hollyoaks actress Stephanie Davis has said she is "focusing on getting better" after spending the weekend in hospital with a "horrific" case of coronavirus.

Davis has been on painkillers and using an oxygen mask and intravenous drip.

"I'm all right, I'm just in pain. I'm just sick of being in pain now."

She signed off her video by telling her 981,000 followers: "Please stay safe, wear your masks, wash your hands. This is absolutely horrific."

I think I'm anxious as well because I'm getting the camera put down today. Hopefully that'll see what's causing me all the pain. "I'm going to come off this now and I just want to get myself better. My messages have been crazy so thanks very much for that.

In her latest video posted on Instagram in the early hours of Monday morning, she said:

I've woke up starving and I can't wait to be able to eat again. Covid has been absolutely horrific. Today or yesterday was the worst day yet. I'm just focusing on getting better. But thank you for all your messages - it really means a lot. I'll let you all know when I'm feeling a little better.

ITV News.

1625511263095.png

Fully vaccinated people in England won't have to self-isolate if a close contact tests positive for Covid from 16 August, the health secretary says.

Sajid Javid told MPs the same policy would also apply to anyone under the age of 18 from that date.
The government would give more details this week on self-isolation rules for international travel, he added.
And Education Secretary Gavin Williamson has announced the end of "bubbles" in schools from 19 July.
This system has led to large numbers of pupils being sent home if a single child has a positive test.
Covid-related pupil absence in England has hit a new high since all students returned to school in March - with 640,000 pupils in England not in school due to Covid last week,
On Monday, the prime minister confirmed he intended to scrap most of the remaining restrictions in England on 19 July, including the laws on mask wearing and rules on social distancing.
Earlier, Mr Javid said daily cases "could go as high as 100,000" when restrictions were fully lifted.
A further 28,773 cases were reported across the UK on Tuesday, and there were another 37 deaths within 28 days of a positive test.

In a statement to the House of Commons, Mr Javid said: "From 16 August when even more people will have the protection of both doses, and when modelling suggests the risks from the virus will be even lower, anyone who is a close contact of a positive case will no longer have to self-isolate if they have been fully vaccinated.
"If someone gets their second dose just before or just after 16 August, they'll need to wait two weeks, after which their second jab can take effect and give them these new freedoms."
As under-18s are not routinely jabbed, he said a similar exemption from self-isolation rules would be extended to them.
He said adults who had been in close contact with a positive case would be "advised" to get a PCR test as soon as possible to make sure they hadn't been infected, while for children it would be dependent on their age.

Full article - Covid: Self-isolation to be scrapped for double-jabbed and children in England - BBC News

This update is worth a watch

What they don't specifically say (but I can't see how what they do says makes sense otherwise) is pretty much everyone will get exposed to an infectious dose (many multiple times) before we reach a level of herd immunity sufficient to get the R no below 1. I don't see there is really any sense in keeping the restrictions at the current level as they are not keeping cases from going through the roof and stricter restrictions only serve to push the spike back a bit.

I said in the other thread i wouldn't preach to those that have decided not to have the vaccine but having read this tonight in the local paper and having just watched the video posited by @simon12 i thought i would post it.

Get the jab this is going to be around for years and as Cath McTigue found those that have had the jab will catch it and pass it on to others and if you have no protection there is a good chance you will die, why would anyone put their family through what the McTigue family have been through just because they think this vaccine may cause something bad to happen years in the future, if you don't get the jab there is a very good chance you wont be around to find out if the vaccine did any harm!

[Rant over]

THE widow of a man who died in hospital after contracting coronavirus has issued a warning of just how devastating the virus can be ahead of lockdown restrictions being eased later this month.

Cath McTigue lost her husband Richard back in March after his six-week-long battle in hospital and she has spoken about how her and their teenage son Daniel still think of him every day.

The Walney resident and beloved train conductor was just 50 years old when he died, and Mrs McTigue has urged people to remain cautious and to get the vaccine to stop more people going through what her family did.

"I had my first vaccine around Christmas time, but I still caught it a short while later and obviously passed it on to Richard," the Furness General Hospital nurse said.

"I think a mistake was made by the Government in that I got a vaccination, but my husband did not. I was out there doing my job and then obviously he was exposed to it in the house.

"I had the vaccine, and it did not stop me from getting the virus, I just had less severe symptoms so you can still spread it.

"So those who have not already had the vaccine should go and get one."

Mrs McTigue explained that the virus will still spread but vaccination is the key to stopping scenarios of what happened to Richard, whom she described as a "wonderful father and husband".
pixel

In particular she has questioned the decision to vaccinate the elderly first, who were shielding at the time, and therefore not as exposed to potential harm as frontline worker families.

This decision is one that has made her believe that she cannot return to nursing in the same capacity as it serves as a constant reminder to her.

"I am living with his death day in and day out, and if I go back to nursing working with elderly people it will constantly make me think of that," she continued. "It is of course not their fault; I just believe the Government made a mistake on this.

"I think Covid is always going to be around. It is something we are going to have to live with."

Caution urged by Furness General Hospital nurse who lost beloved husband to Covid | The Mail (nwemail.co.uk)

Last edited:
Got stabbed second time last night 5pm... so far feel fine..

I think cases will soar and like simons video suggests and I also read it somewhere else, it may take years and it passing through a vaccinated community a few times for it to really be a herd immunity.

I wouldn;t be surprised if we were locked down again by xmas however I really hope not, my mate who is a bit on the conspiuracy therorist side on this has been saying for ages xmas lockdown will be a cert.. He is normnally an extremely intelligent guy but has got a bit carried away with this.. I would hate to see him and the conspiracists proved right on it

The problem as I see it is the fact you can still get it and give it to others even if you have the vaccine so it's going to carry on going round and mutating, I hope I am wrong about a lockdown before Christmas but I fear I will not be, they may not be full lockdowns but there will be lockdowns.

Hi guys, not been on much lately so have lost track of this thread apart from last few posts..My neighbor is 48 had both jabs( last jab mid June AZ) came down with covid on Monday and is quite ill at home.
No existing medical conditions, strong, fit groundworker,picks paving slabs up like they're made of cardboard. It's frightening to think where we go from here, definitely not over though.

I think cases will soar and like simons video suggests and I also read it somewhere else, it may take years and it passing through a vaccinated community a few times for it to really be a herd immunity.

I wouldn;t be surprised if we were locked down again by xmas however I really hope not, my mate who is a bit on the conspiuracy therorist side on this has been saying for ages xmas lockdown will be a cert.. He is normnally an extremely intelligent guy but has got a bit carried away with this.. I would hate to see him and the conspiracists proved right on it

I'll say that every time I've been optimistic about lockdowns I've been proven wrong, but I think that a lockdown in winter 2021 seems pretty unfathomable at the moment.

Vaccinations are available to all and there's a plan to give boosters. For life to return to 'normal' in the UK most of what can be practically done has now been done, and now we have to learn to cope.

Locking down in 2021 would set a precedent that we'd have to do it every winter, because Covid-19 is not going away unless the whole human race collaborates to eliminate it.

I'll say that every time I've been optimistic about lockdowns I've been proven wrong, but I think that a lockdown in winter 2021 seems pretty unfathomable at the moment.

Vaccinations are available to all and there's a plan to give boosters. For life to return to 'normal' in the UK most of what can be practically done has now been done, and now we have to learn to cope.

Locking down in 2021 would set a precedent that we'd have to do it every winter, because Covid-19 is not going away unless the whole human race collaborates to eliminate it.
I agree and I hope you are right

my mate who is a bit on the conspiuracy therorist side on this has been saying for ages xmas lockdown will be a cert.. He is normnally an extremely intelligent guy but has got a bit carried away with this.. I would hate to see him and the conspiracists proved right on it

I don't see why the prospect of another lockdown should be a conspiracy theory. Remember the third test for releasing lockdown :

"Infection rates do not risk a surge in hospitalisations which would put unsustainable pressure on the NHS "

The 7-day average for hospitalisations in England was up 44% in the last week of June (243 to 351). That's roughly where we were on 21 September, three weeks before the tiers were announced. That rate of increase implies it's doubling every 2 weeks, and as of the end of June we were 1.4 doublings away from the level of hospitalisations when the tiers kicked in, and 3.6 doublings away from the absolute peak in January. Exponential growth is a bugger - and it makes no sense to reduce precautions when R is clearly some way above 1.

For hospital beds it's 1.4 and 4.2 doublings.
For ventilation it's 0.7 and 3.6 doublings.

This while hospitals are still struggling with staff having to self-isolate and need to be catching up on the backlog of non-Covid cases. And frankly the staff just need a flipping break after 16 months on a war footing. And there are already signs of stress in the NHS in parts of Great Britain - hospitals from Aberdeen to Inverness are effectively closed to new admissions :

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/f...ys-enter-code-black-as-covid-third-wave-hits/
Now I'm no expert on hospital management, but that has to be a warning sign for English hospitals. Particularly given the uneven distribution of the disease - it's hitting northern cities (and university towns) far more than the south, so individual hospitals will start maxing out before things look bad at a national level.

1625746561208.png

I just wish there was some acknowledgement that this stuff was complicated, and that the NHS remains under severe stress. Instead we have 50-something politicians in the South cheerfully telling northerners and the young "to make their own informed decisions about how to manage the virus" when eg schoolkids aren't jabbed but are made to go to school and nobody has to wear masks when they get there. And 20-somethings may only have one jab and if they want a job they still have to work in pubs, meat factories etc. again with no protection from customers. It all feels like those 50-something southerners are more interested in being able to go to the football and Wimbledon rather than the well-being of their voters.

The only hope is that things ease off in coming weeks due to end of term and people continuing to be sensible. As Japan has successfully proved, to minimise Covid transmission you just need to avoid the three C's -

confined spaces
crowded places
close contact

And in particular avoid those kinds of places at times when people are generating lots of aerosols through singing or shouting.

No worries.
1625745484759.png

I don't see why the prospect of another lockdown should be a conspiracy theory. Remember the third test for releasing lockdown :
The context behind what they were saying this was well before the vaccine programme got up to speed was that regardless of our vaccine roll outs and boosters and what not with everything that could have been done we will still be put back under control on and on forever.

therefore he see's all of this as pre determined.

I do not subscribe to it as such however I do wonder what more can do we after this.

People returning to England from abroad could face peak-time airport queues of up to six hours when travel measures are eased, a union has warned.

Fully jabbed UK citizens coming back from amber list countries will no longer need to quarantine from 19 July.
The Immigration Service Union said the "sheer number" of passengers arriving and a shortage of Border Force officers would slow down checks.
Transport Secretary Grant Shapps also admitted travel could be "disrupted".
But he added that airports, airlines and train and ferry companies were developing apps to cut queues.

On Thursday, the government announced that fully vaccinated UK residents returning to England from amber list travel destinations - including popular holiday countries such as Spain, France, Italy and the US - would no longer have to quarantine from Monday 19 July.
But they will still have to present three documents in addition to passports:
  • a passenger locator form, monitoring possible contact with people who have coronavirus
  • proof of a recent negative Covid test
  • proof of being fully vaccinated at least 14 days previously
Northern Ireland plans to adopt the same changes from 26 July, while both Scotland and Wales have said they will consider whether to do the same.
Airlines and travel agents have reported a surge in bookings for overseas holidays since England's new rules were announced.

But Lucy Moreton, the Immigration Service Union's professional officer, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme the government needed to recruit more Border Force workers to cope with the increased demand.
Ordinary passport checks took two to four minutes per person, she said, adding that those involving the Covid-related documents increased this to eight to 12 minutes.
"At the moment we are seeing peak-time queues somewhere in the one-to-two-hour mark, where we have got several aircraft that arrive at the same time," Ms Moreton added.
She told the BBC News website that larger passenger numbers would further slow checks and create airport queues "three times longer" than at present.
In response, Mr Shapps admitted travel would "be more disrupted than it was back in 2019", but the issue was "going to be on the check-in side rather than the border side" at Heathrow and elsewhere.
Airlines and train and ferry companies were "looking at digitising a lot of that", he said, adding: "That could help, but undeniably [travel] is more disrupted

BBC News.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back